Car Tax - Court Summons

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

KTMEXC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Tax - Court Summons

Hi,

I recently overlooked paying my car tax, not impossible since the changes regarding displaying car tax in the UK. I have also moved on from my old address so the DVLA don't have my current address.

I only realised my car tax was out of date when it was clamped. I immediately rang the DVLA, paid 6 months car tax, offered to and paid all backdated car tax and any outstanding fines relating to it. It was out of date by 3 months but they can only take a maximum of 1 month backdated so I paid 1 month and a fine for not renewing. I also paid to get the clamp removed. All in about £350. I was told that was the end of it and everything was clear.

Today I get a letter from the local court saying in my absence I was fined £200 plus costs. I never got any correspondence about an outstanding fine or court date, I assume they were sent to my old address. From speaking to the DVLA and court today it is a separate fine that they generated on the day of my call for having an unlicensed vehicle on the road. I am going back for a retrial based on what I discussed with the DVLA when I called them but I admit my tax was out of date.

Assuming I get the same result at my 2nd court summons will I need to declare this on any future permanent residency or citizenship applications?

Thanks

KTM.

Last edited by KTMEXC; Jun 23rd 2015 at 4:40 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Tax - Court Summons

Originally Posted by KTMEXC
Hi,

I recently overlooked paying my car tax, not impossible since the changes regarding displaying car tax in the UK. I have also moved on from my old address so the DVLA don't have my current address.

I only realised my car tax was out of date when it was clamped. I immediately rang the DVLA, paid 6 months car tax, offered to and paid all backdated car tax and any outstanding fines relating to it. It was out of date by 3 months but they can only take a maximum of 1 month backdated so I paid 1 month and a fine for not renewing. I also paid to get the clamp removed. All in about £350. I was told that was the end of it and everything was clear.

Today I get a letter from the local court saying in my absence I was fined £200 plus costs. I never got any correspondence about an outstanding fine or court date, I assume they were sent to my old address. From speaking to the DVLA and court today it is a separate fine that they generated on the day of my call for having an unlicensed vehicle on the road. I am going back for a retrial based on what I discussed with the DVLA when I called them but I admit my tax was out of date.

Assuming I get the same result at my 2nd court summons will I need to declare this on any future permanent residency or citizenship applications?

Thanks

KTM.
If you are convicted of an offence, yes you will need to declare it.
If it is only an offence as described above though it is not going to have any effect at all on PR or citizenship.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

KTMEXC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you are convicted of an offence, yes you will need to declare it.
If it is only an offence as described above though it is not going to have any effect at all on PR or citizenship.
Thanks Pollyana. I guess I need to find out whether a fine from a court is classed as a conviction. I've no idea, I've never been in trouble with the law.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KTMEXC
Thanks Pollyana. I guess I need to find out whether a fine from a court is classed as a conviction. I've no idea, I've never been in trouble with the law.
It is a conviction.
It may just be classed as a motoring conviction if its only non-payment, and therefore it MIGHT not appear on a police check. BUT whether it apears or not, it is a conviction and you ought to declare it.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and change that address!

Serves as a reminder just how important this can be! It is a legal requirement to keep DVLA advised of any changes of address and ownership, at least they didn't fine you for not doing that!