British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Canadian Police Check & Fingerprint (while in Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/canadian-police-check-fingerprint-while-australia-909579/)

mnicona Feb 22nd 2018 7:11 am

Canadian Police Check & Fingerprint (while in Australia)

Hi there

I need to obtain police checks for both the UK and Canada as part of my Australian citizenship application.

The UK is fairly straight forward as they don't require fingerprints.

For Canada, I need to arrange fingerprints. So my question is, what is the easiest way to do this while here in Australia?

Can I get my fingerprints take here and electronically sent to the RCMP in Canada?

Where would I go here in Australia to do this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thx

spouse of scouse Feb 22nd 2018 7:28 am

Re: Canadian Police Check & Fingerprint (while in Australia)

Originally Posted by mnicona (Post 12448108)
Hi there

I need to obtain police checks for both the UK and Canada as part of my Australian citizenship application.

For Canada, I need to arrange fingerprints. So my question is, what is the easiest way to do this while here in Australia?

Can I get my fingerprints take here and electronically sent to the RCMP in Canada?

Any help is appreciated.

Thx

This may help.

If you require fingerprints for the purposes of obtaining any document or service from another country you are advised to contact the embassy or consulate of that country or the relevant agency requiring the finger prints in the country from where you require the certificate or service.
Your local police station might be able to take your fingerprints.​https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/FAQs/...learances.aspx

carcajou Feb 22nd 2018 7:58 am

If the police in your jurisdiction won't do fingerprints for overseas criminal records checks - and in Western Australia, they don't - you can hire a private investigator to do it. It isn't cheap (around $150). Call around to find one that has experience doing fingerprints for Canadian checks.

In some other jurisdictions, the police will do fingerprints for customers.

msmyrtle Feb 27th 2018 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by mnicona (Post 12448108)
Hi there

Any help is appreciated.

Thx

Mind you this was all around 2015/6:

I called to local AFP office in Perth to make an appointment to get my fingerprints taken. If I recall they only took appointments for the upcoming week, if they were full, out of luck try again next week.

I believe there was a form from the Canadians that I printed off the internet and brought with me. I gave it to the fingerprint taker. He also signed with his details. Or I might be confused with the FBI, it was one of the other...

I posted and waited and waited and waited for a reply. In the end I was approved for citizenship before my Canadian report even came back (I submitted one in 2012 for my original visa, and since I hadn't been back to Canada, my case officer didn't actually ask for a new one :huh:)

Hope that helps.

carcajou Feb 27th 2018 8:35 pm

Western Australia stopped doing police checks for customers at the end of 2015 or early 2016, I forget which. It used to be you could just walk into your local police shop and get it done there, but no more. My local police would even do it for free.

AFP in Perth do fingerprinting for a few very limited purposes. Immigration is one of them, but only for certain cases of immigration, they explained it over the phone to me in 2016 and I don't remember exactly what the cases were (it wasn't just, anyone who needed it for immigration could get it done there).

So I encourage OP to call, but be prepared to look for / go to a PI if AFP refuse or want to put you on a long booking list.

This is, of course, assuming the regulations haven't changed again . . .

mnicona Mar 7th 2018 2:29 am

Hi all

Just to confirm something, but am I required to obtain police checks for a country I lived in for more than 90 days, but OVER 10 years ago? Or is it just if I have lived in any country for more than 90 days in my life time?

I know for PR it was the following...

For the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character, you might be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, over the last 10 years (calculated immediately before the time the visa application is lodged), since turning 16 years of age.

Thx for the help in clarifying :)

mnicona Mar 9th 2018 7:40 am

Actually, just reading it over again (with more focus this time!!!), I'm seeing that they only require 'good character documents' (aka penal clearance) if I've been outside the country for 12+ months at 90 days or more per country WITHIN the time I've been a Australian PR.

So, I'm essentially understanding that I don't need penal certs as I've been in Aus for 5 years as a PR and NOT travelled/lived in another country during that time (for a period of 12+ months at 90 days or more per country etc).

Correct?

From Immi website...

Good character documents
You need to provide a penal clearance certificate if, in the time since you were granted a permanent Australian visa:

you lived or travelled outside Australia since the age of 18 years
the total time spent overseas adds up to 12 months or more.
Provide a penal clearance certificate from every country in which you spent more than 90 days.

We might also ask you to provide a penal clearance certificate in other circumstances.

If you need a penal clearance from Australia, we will arrange it on your behalf. You do not need to pay an additional fee.