Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Canadian looking to move and work permanently in Aus.

Canadian looking to move and work permanently in Aus.

Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Paslir_Fiek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian looking to move and work permanently in Aus.

Hey, I've done some research but sometimes it's tough to understand the full process when it's all guidelines and not talking to other people.

So far, I am not sure what's best for me. A skilled visa or the WHV. I am 21 and currently am a 3rd year machining apprentice. I would love to move down perminatly to NSW. What visa should I look at? The cost is extreme to apply for the skilled visa (3720$) compared to the WHV (300$). However like I said I'm looking for a perminat visa. I'm curious if I got a WHV what are the chances of someone sponsoring me while I'm down there and finally set up so I can apply for the perminat residence later on?

Right now my understanding is I need to fill out an EOI and then get invited to apply for a visa. That's about all I know thus far. So if someone would like to comment on what's next and how long I should be expecting to wait before I'm eligible to move to NSW?

What's the best way of going about getting a job and a place to live? Get everything set up before hand or once I land in NSW start to apply for work?

Sorry for the confusion and terrible format. I'm on my phone typing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If it matters I'm looking at Syndey or Melbourne. Not sure the demand for my trade but I have seen job listings. Thanks again.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:44 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian looking to move and work permanently in Aus.

For a skilled Visa you would have to complete your apprenticeship and get a couple of years experience under your belt in order to get a positive skills assessment, so you may be 3 or 4 years away from that option. WHV is meant for young people like yourself who want to experience Australia and earn a few dollars while travelling. That would be a good way to see if you like Australia whilst doing casual work, but if you take a break from your apprenticeship the skilled option would become even more of a challenge.

If I were you, I would complete my apprenticeship and then look at a WHV to see if you like Australia, then go home and get some more experience in your skilled trade. If you decide Australia is where you want to live you can apply for a skilled Visa then. If you ditch the apprenticeship, all bets are off I'm afraid unless you marry an Aussie.

Last edited by spuddyo; Sep 15th 2015 at 9:48 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. Definitely depressing to hear that. I have my CPR and EMR certifications. Is there anything I could do to get to Australia sooner through a health route? EMT or firefighters? Just looking for a glimpse of hope haha.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 1:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paslir_Fiek
Thanks. Definitely depressing to hear that. I have my CPR and EMR certifications. Is there anything I could do to get to Australia sooner through a health route? EMT or firefighters? Just looking for a glimpse of hope haha.
Would you pass a skills assessment as either of those? Do you have qualifications as a paramedic or firefighter? Are either of those jobs even on the skills list?
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Solid point.

Is this a possibility:

Go down on a WHV and get a job in my trade. (I know I can only work 6 months on this visa and as I already mentioned I don't have my ticket) If I'm a strong enough worker that the company would want to keep me, would I be eligible to be sponsored by them to stay? So go down on WHV, and get sponsored for a full time residency? Or are company's not allowed to sponsor unless you are on the skilled workers list.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:27 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

No, company is NOT able to sponsor unless your occupation is on the list and you are fully qualified
Old Sep 17th 2015, 6:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Would you pass a skills assessment as either of those? Do you have qualifications as a paramedic or firefighter? Are either of those jobs even on the skills list?
Firefighter no. Need to get in on another visa and then apply for a job like everyone else. Usually very oversubscribed.
Paramedic -sometimes sponsored by States, though i've not see any for a long while. Not sure if its still on the list even.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 12:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Firefighter no. Need to get in on another visa and then apply for a job like everyone else. Usually very oversubscribed.
Paramedic -sometimes sponsored by States, though i've not see any for a long while. Not sure if its still on the list even.
Unlikely to pass a skills assessment as a paramedic with just a CPR certificate though.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Unlikely to pass a skills assessment as a paramedic with just a CPR certificate though.
Can't see anyone offering sponsorship on that basis either
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. After realizing it's not as easy as I thought, I've talked with family and I'm going to finish my apprentiship then look at getting sponsored to move to Aus.

Definitely lots of motivation for these next 2 years!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paslir_Fiek
Thanks for all the replies. After realizing it's not as easy as I thought, I've talked with family and I'm going to finish my apprentiship then look at getting sponsored to move to Aus.

Definitely lots of motivation for these next 2 years!
Always good to have a plan. Get your trade qualification and some experience under your belt. Best of luck.