Can you apply as a couple for visa?

Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

JMet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you apply as a couple for visa?

My girlfriend and I are looking to apply for visas with a view to PR. I am 45 and a university lecturer, she is 34 and a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. Which is the best visa route for us to explore? Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you apply as a couple for visa?

Originally Posted by JMet
My girlfriend and I are looking to apply for visas with a view to PR. I am 45 and a university lecturer, she is 34 and a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. Which is the best visa route for us to explore? Thanks.
As far as I know there is no profession of 'Cognitive Behavioural therapist' in Australia.....does she have a core profession she could apply for a visa under?

You could apply as a lecturer but your age is against you...and finding a job would depend on your speciality.

If one of you is eligible then one could go as a dependant.

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 13th 2017 at 7:51 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
There is no profession of 'Cognitive Behavioural therapist' in Australia.....does she have a core profession she could apply for a visa under?

You could apply as a lecturer but your age is against you...and finding a job would depend on your speciality.

She would need to be more than a "girlfriend" though, I'm sure you'll agree. Need proof of being a cohabiting de facto couple.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
She would need to be more than a "girlfriend" though, I'm sure you'll agree. Need proof of being a cohabiting de facto couple.
Indeed

I am not particularly 'au fait' with partner visas
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Grayling
As far as I know there is no profession of 'Cognitive Behavioural therapist' in Australia.....does she have a core profession she could apply for a visa under?

It may be possible to apply under the category of 'Psycotherapist' but much will depend on level of training and experience.

There will then be issues of recognition, indemnity insurance etc. but the visa is the first priority.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:38 am
Just Joined

JMet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Yes her job would fall under the psychotherapist, she is fully qualified to masters level and clinical practice. De facto couple evidence shouldn't be an issue - joint mortgage and bank accounts etc.

Is there a specific visa for de facto couples?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Yes her job would fall under the psychotherapist, she is fully qualified to masters level and clinical practice. De facto couple evidence shouldn't be an issue - joint mortgage and bank accounts etc.

In your case no. You would be applying for a skills visa, and you add your partner as a dependent spouse. This is NOT a de facto visa thats very different.

However you will be required to provide proof that you are in a de facto relationship - so you share your lives as if you were married. You cohabit, share finances, etc etc - married in all but name. She would just be listed on your application as your de facto spouse and will get a visa in her own right alongside of you.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Not quite that simple though.

If she wants to work for public services then finding a job will be difficult as 'psychotherapist' roles are very uncommon.

If she wants to work privately then getting the Medicare rebate will be very difficult unless she is a credentialled Mental Heath Nurse, social worker, Psychiatrist or Psychologist.....without it she would have difficulty attracting referrals.....assuming that she can get her qualifications recognised and a visa in the first place.

I speak from experience as a CBT therapist since 1978!......and I already had a visa!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming your partner is eligible to apply under the occupation Psychotherapist (and obtain the appropriate skills assessment) then it may be preferable to use your partner as the Primary applicant (age/points/occupation list). You would then look at being included as the De facto partner within the application (which sounds probable from what you have stated above). This would open the options for the 189 (or potentially 190) Skilled Independent Visas which would provide permanent residence and the ability to live and work in Australia indefinitely. If you are looking for a Registered Migration Agent to assist with the process I'd be happy to discus further with you. Tee