Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Can i get in to Australia on a general visa at 42 years old

Can i get in to Australia on a general visa at 42 years old

Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:46 am
Just Joined

winkyridg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can i get in to Australia on a general visa at 42 years old

HI,
I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if this question has already been asked in the past .
I'm 42 years of age and have always wanted to visit Australia since i was knee high to a grass hopper , a lot of my friends have taken the plunge and moved over there ,i now fear i will be left friendless if they keep leaving me (must be me ) ha ha , i have no formal skill and was wondering if there was a visa we could apply for to allow us to move to Australia with an eventual view to living there on a permanent basis .
My wife will have qualifications as she is currently doing Level 3 Beauty therapy at college so she i assume she wouldn't have THAT much of a problem as she is also younger than me .
Any help on this query would be greatly appreciated .
Thankyou in advance
Winkyridg
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:58 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can i get in to Australia on a general visa at 42 years old

Hey mate, The immigration in this country like the UK is going through a major overhaul and it is no longer easy to migrate here like It was from the late nineties onwards where back then anyone could of got in here.

Student Visa is probably really the only option and with that avenue being almost closed or risky as it is not guarrenteed and is costly. I wouldn't recommend it unless on you guys wanted to study Nursing. 45 is the cut off date for Visas and you need to have qualified in a indemand skill.

Last edited by Weebie; Oct 7th 2010 at 9:02 am.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend you try the visa wizard on www.immi.gov.au but based on what you have said I don't see a clear path for you without retraining. I would not share your confidence in your wife's ability to get a visa based on beauty therapy, however please check the SOL (skilled occupation list) to see if there is anything that could apply to either of you on schedules 3 or 4. Ignore schedules 1 and 2, they are not relevant. Only one of you needs to qualify and the other can be added onto the application.

I would definitely not recommend trying anything like the student visa route, extremely expensive and no chance of success at the end.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would definitely not recommend trying anything like the student visa route, extremely expensive and no chance of success at the end.
I would not say "no chance", but more no guarentee of sucess.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I would not say "no chance", but more no guarentee of sucess.
Agreed. That's what I meant to say, don't know how no chance slipped out. Whoops.