Buying Cars Abroad

Old May 26th 2002, 4:20 pm
Stevie

Default Buying Cars Abroad

Hi,

I'm sure that new migrants used to be able to buy a new car whilst still abroad (say
from their local Toyoya dealer) for collection in Australia once they arrive. If I
recall correctly, there was a tax benefit to doing so if the car wasn't re-sold
within six or twelve months. Can anyone advise as to whether this is still the case?

Steve

Old May 26th 2002, 5:20 pm
Rob

Default Re: Buying Cars Abroad

Stevie wrote:

>I'm sure that new migrants used to be able to buy a new car whilst still abroad (say
    >from their local Toyoya dealer) for collection in Australia once they arrive. If I
    >recall correctly, there was a tax benefit to doing so if the car wasn't re-sold
    >within six or twelve months. Can anyone advise as to whether this is still the case?

Sounds unlikely to me. I'd be interested in doing it if it was possible, but the
division of the world into sales territories makes me think this isn't something
dealers would be able to offer.

If and when I get a visa and a emigration date, I'll be emailing a few Oz dealers to
get quotes for the car I fancy. I can always use a UK dealer to test-drive and
colour/option pick

Old May 27th 2002, 1:20 am
Lana

Default Re: Buying Cars Abroad

I've already checked cars out, and I don't even have a visa yet. But I am hoping for
the best, so I just assume it will all work out.

I like small cars, so I have my heart set on a Mazda 121...

Lana

rob <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > If and when I get a visa and a emigration date, I'll be emailing a few Oz dealers
    > to get quotes for the car I fancy. I can always use a UK dealer to test-drive and
    > colour/option pick