business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Cool Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Originally Posted by PJ & B
It took us a while to do business plan. To get the sponsorship you will need the business plan, plus 2 years accounts as proof of turnover, and fill in a form detailing your assets, but they dont ask for anything else at that stage. We havent applied for the visa yet, are getting it ready at present.

There are no guarantees that any of us will get PR, just a chance we have to take. Just work b****y hard to make the business work, and reach the required turnover, thats all we can do.

B
Yeah that's what we have said, if we can make it there, we'll do our damned hardest to build up the business whilst we're there inorder to get PR. Can you extend the temp visa if your turnover doesn't reach what you need (for a short time)? or is that it at the end of 4yrs does your turnover have to be $200.00 with no exceptions???
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Hi Pasha

So we Brits are not the only ones who want to live in Oz....

Has your agent given you any idea as to how long the visa will take? As you may have read in my 1st post we really want to be in Oz by September for my oldest sons sake, so he will not have to start secondary school here.

What part of WA are you headed for? and what type of business are you hoping to start up in Oz? Im really nosey by the way.

Keep in touch about how the visa application is going.

B
No - You Brits certainly aren't the only ones that dream about life in Australia. Being from one of the colder regions of Canada - we most certainly are looking forward to life in a warmer climate.

Our agent has advised that, once our application package has been submitted to DIMIA, it may take up to 6 months to obtain our visa. In doing as much research as possible, I've found that some people have obtained their visas in as little as 3 or 4 months. Ideally we'd like to arrive in Australia towards the end of the year also.

We are remaining extremely open minded with regard to where in WA we will live. It will all be based on where we find the perfect business opportunity. Our preference is the northern suburbs of Perth - as I know that I absolutely LOVE those areas. However, we're not ruling out other areas, and would be willing to live as far up as Geraldton - or as far down as Bunbury or Bussleton. I've even found myself saying I'd be willing to live in Broome!!!! As much as I loved my short time in Broome, I honestly don't think I'd enjoy living that far away from a major centre. But HEY!!! I'd do whatever it takes - if it means securing my life in the country of my dreams!!!!

Like you, we'd like to try our hand at something new. We're focusing primarily on the retail industry - but, again, are remaining extremely open minded - so as to not miss out of the perfect business opportunity. Thank goodness for the reasonable amount of flexibily which is provided with this type of visa.

I don't think you're nosey at all!!! I think we all just feel comforted to know that we have others we can talk to - and that we're all going through the exact same thing.

We will most certainly keep in touch - as things progress.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

PJ & B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Yeah that's what we have said, if we can make it there, we'll do our damned hardest to build up the business whilst we're there inorder to get PR. Can you extend the temp visa if your turnover doesn't reach what you need (for a short time)? or is that it at the end of 4yrs does your turnover have to be $200.00 with no exceptions???

I dont think you can extend the visa after 4 years, but this should be long enough to establish a business. You know you have to have or had a turnover of $300,000 pa in your current business for at least 2 of the last 4 years to meet the sponsorship criteria, which is more than they are asking you to meet in Oz. We feel we should be able to cover it, if not we may start another business as a side line, weve got a few ideas.

B
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pasha
No - You Brits certainly aren't the only ones that dream about life in Australia. Being from one of the colder regions of Canada - we most certainly are looking forward to life in a warmer climate.

Our agent has advised that, once our application package has been submitted to DIMIA, it may take up to 6 months to obtain our visa. In doing as much research as possible, I've found that some people have obtained their visas in as little as 3 or 4 months. Ideally we'd like to arrive in Australia towards the end of the year also.

We are remaining extremely open minded with regard to where in WA we will live. It will all be based on where we find the perfect business opportunity. Our preference is the northern suburbs of Perth - as I know that I absolutely LOVE those areas. However, we're not ruling out other areas, and would be willing to live as far up as Geraldton - or as far down as Bunbury or Bussleton. I've even found myself saying I'd be willing to live in Broome!!!! As much as I loved my short time in Broome, I honestly don't think I'd enjoy living that far away from a major centre. But HEY!!! I'd do whatever it takes - if it means securing my life in the country of my dreams!!!!

Like you, we'd like to try our hand at something new. We're focusing primarily on the retail industry - but, again, are remaining extremely open minded - so as to not miss out of the perfect business opportunity. Thank goodness for the reasonable amount of flexibily which is provided with this type of visa.

I don't think you're nosey at all!!! I think we all just feel comforted to know that we have others we can talk to - and that we're all going through the exact same thing.

We will most certainly keep in touch - as things progress.

Hi Pasha

Wow! you sound so calm and chilled out about it all.....Thats cool....

Send some calm vibes to Stumpy (tooootally stressed today).......

Not sure if i could live in Broome, a little bit remote for me, but im sure you will agree, never say never!!!!

Where abouts in Canada do you live? Is it very cold there constantly or do you have a summer, sorry was never very good at geography and dont know much about Canada really, although heard it was very beautiful.

We too love the idea of living in a sunny climate, it really appeals to us and i hate winter and long for the summer months.

Take care

B
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Cool Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

I dont think you can extend the visa after 4 years, but this should be long enough to establish a business. You know you have to have or had a turnover of $300,000 pa in your current business for at least 2 of the last 4 years to meet the sponsorship criteria, which is more than they are asking you to meet in Oz. We feel we should be able to cover it, if not we may start another business as a side line, weve got a few ideas.

B
Yes you're right 4 years should be long enough to build it up....well it will have to be won't it other wise it's on a plane home!!!! that's a good incentive to make it work!!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:31 pm
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Hey PJ & B... how you going?

Quick question for you: we've read a few comments about people locating 50km from Perth CBD in order to qualify for the visa...

We stand to be corrected, but our understanding is that the '50km from Perth' rule is for people who are applying for the financial assistance (A$1500) towards the cost of hiring a WA consultant to write the business plan etc.

As far as we know, the regular sponsorship and 163 visa have no 'regional' criteria attached.

Do you know about this? As we said, we stand to be corrected if we're wrong - and we need to know for peace of mind - again...!!!

Thanks guys,
Craig n Sarah.

PS - just thought: if you guys are setting up in Secret Harbour, you'd probably qualify for the A$1500 assistance towards your business plan being professionally written. Are you aware of this...???
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Pasha

Wow! you sound so calm and chilled out about it all.....Thats cool....

Send some calm vibes to Stumpy (tooootally stressed today).......

Not sure if i could live in Broome, a little bit remote for me, but im sure you will agree, never say never!!!!

Where abouts in Canada do you live? Is it very cold there constantly or do you have a summer, sorry was never very good at geography and dont know much about Canada really, although heard it was very beautiful.

We too love the idea of living in a sunny climate, it really appeals to us and i hate winter and long for the summer months.

Take care

B

Yeh - I'm usually pretty 'chilled out'!!! However, there's certainly times during this process - especially now that it all seems so real - that I act like a complete nutball!!!! It's pretty exciting!!!

I've noticed that Stumpy has been a bit worked up. No big deal!!! We can all help calm the nerves!!!

I'm originally from British Columbia - but have lived in Edmonton, Alberta for the past 13 years or so. We have beautiful summers - where the daylight lasts forever (from about 4:00 am until about 11:00 pm - at the longest point) - and then after the equinox the days start to gradually get shorter again. It's very lush and green during the summer, and can get very warm at times. Then we have the spectacular colours in the autumn (my favourite season). Then comes winter - Ugggghhhh!!!! It seems to last forever, and can get extremely cold at times!!! I'm always cold - so certainly look forward to the warmth!!! I remember when I lived in Perth back in 89/90, I did not bring proper attire for the cooler winter, and was caught a little unprepared as to how chilly it can actually get in the winter. This time around, I'll certainly be more prepared for it!!! It still beats 40 below with snow!!!

I think Stumpy had a concern with regard to extending the visa (if necessary). I believe there is such a thing as a 'bridging visa' which may be utilized in extenuating circumstances. One would have to look further into it for the specific details though.

Best wishes during this whole process - to everyone.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader

Quick question for you: we've read a few comments about people locating 50km from Perth CBD in order to qualify for the visa...

We stand to be corrected, but our understanding is that the '50km from Perth' rule is for people who are applying for the financial assistance (A$1500) towards the cost of hiring a WA consultant to write the business plan etc.

As far as we know, the regular sponsorship and 163 visa have no 'regional' criteria attached.

Do you know about this? As we said, we stand to be corrected if we're wrong - and we need to know for peace of mind - again...!!!

Thanks guys,
Craig n Sarah.

PS - just thought: if you guys are setting up in Secret Harbour, you'd probably qualify for the A$1500 assistance towards your business plan being professionally written. Are you aware of this...???
Hey Rogue Trader,

You are exactly right!!! We seriously considered accepting the $1500.00 assistance towards our business plan - but then decided against it - as we didn't feel comfortable with the regional restrictions. As such, we paid ourselves to have our plan completed - and now have the freedom to live anywhere in WA. We just felt it was restricting enough (with state sponsorship), let alone being restricted to specific regional areas within WA. As it turns out, we still may chose a regional area - but, if so, it will be our own doing - and not because we're told that we have to.

But, on the flip side - if one does accept that assistance, agreeing to reside in one of the 'regional' areas of WA - and then changes their minds upon arrival - I'm told that one can get through the red tape - by communicating with DIMIA and the SBDC.

There's a lot to consider with this type of visa - that's forsure!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Hey Rogue Trader,

You are exactly right!!! We seriously considered accepting the $1500.00 assistance towards our business plan - but then decided against it - as we didn't feel comfortable with the regional restrictions. As such, we paid ourselves to have our plan completed - and now have the freedom to live anywhere in WA. We just felt it was restricting enough (with state sponsorship), let alone being restricted to specific regional areas within WA. As it turns out, we still may chose a regional area - but, if so, it will be our own doing - and not because we're told that we have to.

But, on the flip side - if one does accept that assistance, agreeing to reside in one of the 'regional' areas of WA - and then changes their minds upon arrival - I'm told that one can get through the red tape - by communicating with DIMIA and the SBDC.

There's a lot to consider with this type of visa - that's forsure!!!!
Hi there, I'm glad I mentioned about the 50km out because I obviosly hadn't read it as well as I thought I had!!! Yes you're absolutely right, it's only if apply for the funding that you are restricted to living 50km out of the Perth CBD. I think we will also refrain from applying for that for the same reasons, We don't want to be held to where we can go. Any ideas on where you fancy??? Do you need to be in centre of Perth for work reasons???
We can pretty much set up anywhere hpoefully. Due to go out after christmas to to a bit of 'Market Research'!!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rogue Trader

Thanks guys,
Craig n Sarah.

Hi Craig & Sarah

We didnt know about this. i had heard about the $1500 support, but thought this was to help you when setting up the business, as an added incentive.

Thanks for that, will try and find out more. i email the SBDC all the time with questions, i drive them mad, but they always reply and are really helpful.

Did you send off your police checks, i didnt get around to doing ours today, maybe tomorrow, if i can stay off the computer for an hour or so.

B
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi there, I'm glad I mentioned about the 50km out because I obviosly hadn't read it as well as I thought I had!!! Yes you're absolutely right, it's only if apply for the funding that you are restricted to living 50km out of the Perth CBD. I think we will also refrain from applying for that for the same reasons, We don't want to be held to where we can go. Any ideas on where you fancy??? Do you need to be in centre of Perth for work reasons???
We can pretty much set up anywhere hpoefully. Due to go out after christmas to to a bit of 'Market Research'!!!
The areas I am particularly partial to are the northern coastal suburbs of Perth. (Anything from City Beach onwards) We figure if we're moving to WA, we most certainly will be trying to get a home with an ocean view!!! I've wanted to live near the ocean my entire life - and have only had that opportunity a few times (when I lived in Perth originally, as well as when I lived in Vancouver and Victoria). So - an ocean view, or just ocean glimpses, from our home, would be a dream come true!!!!

We do not need to be near near Perth CBD for work reasons - as we're not even entirely sure where we'll be setting up (or buying) our business. We've decided that the smartest thing for us to do is to rent until we know forsure where our business is going to be located. Then, based on the location of our business, we can determine the best suburb (or area) to buy or build a home. The idea of renting doesn't sit well with us (as it's paying for a dead horse), but we will atleast be required to wait one month until any potential residential investment is approved by the FIRB anyway. We've even considered whether or not we should just buy a Caravan upon arrival, and have our own little home on wheels until we decide the best place to settle. Ohhhh......so many decisions!!!!

Will you just be making a temporary trip after Christmas for your 'market research'? If so, when will you be making the big move?

We hope to be there by Christmas too (providing our current business sells without a hitch!) We're praying that all goes smoothly!!!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Helium Kid is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey this thread has really taken off.

I feel gutted now that my application is costing me 5 grand and wish I had tried to do it myself.
Problem is that I have sent everything off now (all certified copies etc) so guess I'll have to see it through.

I have been told by my agent in Queensland that I can buy any property, new or old and that the Schooling is free for my Kids.

Also, as I am the main applicant my Missus is free to work or start a business of her own which means her turnover will be added to mine.

Lots of positives, and another option is to keep 100,000 dollars back if you have it to top up the turnover if required.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

The areas I am particularly partial to are the northern coastal suburbs of Perth. (Anything from City Beach onwards) We figure if we're moving to WA, we most certainly will be trying to get a home with an ocean view!!! I've wanted to live near the ocean my entire life - and have only had that opportunity a few times (when I lived in Perth originally, as well as when I lived in Vancouver and Victoria). So - an ocean view, or just ocean glimpses, from our home, would be a dream come true!!!!

We do not need to be near near Perth CBD for work reasons - as we're not even entirely sure where we'll be setting up (or buying) our business. We've decided that the smartest thing for us to do is to rent until we know forsure where our business is going to be located. Then, based on the location of our business, we can determine the best suburb (or area) to buy or build a home. The idea of renting doesn't sit well with us (as it's paying for a dead horse), but we will atleast be required to wait one month until any potential residential investment is approved by the FIRB anyway. We've even considered whether or not we should just buy a Caravan upon arrival, and have our own little home on wheels until we decide the best place to settle. Ohhhh......so many decisions!!!!

Will you just be making a temporary trip after Christmas for your 'market research'? If so, when will you be making the big move?

We hope to be there by Christmas too (providing our current business sells without a hitch!) We're praying that all goes smoothly!!!

We're hoping to go out for about 3 weeks just after Christmas maybe Feb (depends when Feb half term is, we have 2 boys 5 + 7 yrs) unfortunately we won't actually beable to make the move until next year because we've got to increase our turnover slightly to meet criteria, but are sure we can do that for the rest of this financial year and then next too. Bit of a pain but hey 18mths isn't too bad, gives us time to plan everything as best we can!!! We also will sell our existing business, house etc... so it all takes time.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Helium Kid

I feel gutted now that my application is costing me 5 grand and wish I had tried to do it myself.
Problem is that I have sent everything off now (all certified copies etc) so guess I'll have to see it through.

I have been told by my agent in Queensland that I can buy any property, new or old and that the Schooling is free for my Kids.

Also, as I am the main applicant my Missus is free to work or start a business of her own which means her turnover will be added to mine.

Lots of positives, and another option is to keep 100,000 dollars back if you have it to top up the turnover if required.

Hi HK

We thought we might start up another business as well, but wasnt sure they would combine the turnovers, thanks for that..

Good idea to keep some funds in reserve to top up the turnover, hadnt thought of that.

Keep em rolling guys, found out loads in just one day, thanks all.......

B
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Helium Kid

Would you be able to do that then??? Surely if you added $100.000 dollars to your turnover figure it wouldn't be a true figure because that would be classed as assets???not turnover??? I'm not sure , just wondering how that would work. Also if my wife worked she would have to own a business or part own one to beable to class it as a turnover??? otherwise it would just be wages wouldn't it???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.