Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Bridging visa B - "substantial reasons for travel"

Bridging visa B - "substantial reasons for travel"

Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:32 am
Just Joined

scoobygan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bridging visa B - "substantial reasons for travel"

I'm almost at the end of my temp visa and awaiting decision on my permanent resident application, so am on a Type A Bridging visa.

I'm hoping to go on holiday back to the uk - after my temp visa runs out, but before my permanent visa will have been processed.

I understand that I can't leave the country on a bridging visa A, and instead need to apply (and pay) for a bridging visa B. But to do that I need to "be able to demonstrate substantial reasons to travel".

Has anyone had any experience of what a substantial reason is?

I just rang Immi to ask whether a holiday was a substantial reason, or whether it had to be something much more serious, a death in the family etc. All they would say is that they don't prejudge visa applications so can't tell me what would and wouldn't be valid. The only way to find out is to submit (and pay for) an application and see what happens.

Has anyone been granted a type B visa for a holiday?

I figure a well as a holiday, I'm going to load my application with as many reasons as I can, has anyone successfully used any of the below as a substantial reason:

- My sister just had a baby that I haven't met yet.
- I want my family and friends to meet my Australian girlfriend for (mostly) the first time, and to propose to her in the uk.
- I am renting out my uk house and need to inspect the property, deal with any maintenance issues, find a property manager etc
- I haven't seen my family or friends in a year.

Also. While we're over there my girlfriend wants to see a bit of Europe, which doesn't fit in with any of those reasons. Can I use a valid reason to return to the uk with a Type B, and then grab a few daya in Europe while I'm over there - without having a substantial reason for that extra trip?

Any ideas?
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bridging visa B - "substantial reasons for travel"

I applied and put the reason as a holiday to see my best mate who I hadn't seen in two and a half years. It was granted no problems at all. The guy told me to take as many holidays as i liked in the three months of the bridging visa b. That was at the adelaide office.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I applied and put the reason as a holiday to see my best mate who I hadn't seen in two and a half years. It was granted no problems at all. The guy told me to take as many holidays as i liked in the three months of the bridging visa b. That was at the adelaide office.
I was also thinking about applying for it, if the decision on my 887 is pending..... but couple of questions I need to clear first.

1. How long ago was that?
2. How do you go about applying for it?
3. If the 887 VISA is pending, will CO let you know while you're overseas that a decision is to be made?
4. How long can I stay away from Australia on Bridging VISA "B"?
5. How many days after applying you got Bridging VISA "b" GRANTED?
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I will answer what I can.
I applied last September/October. I went into immigration, they issued the visa there and then for three months from that date.
You fill in the form on the immi website and take it with you. The Bloke told me I could go away for the whole three months if I wanted. My bloke seemed much more friendly than some that people have spoken about on here.
I hope this helps
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I will answer what I can.
I applied last September/October. I went into immigration, they issued the visa there and then for three months from that date.
You fill in the form on the immi website and take it with you. The Bloke told me I could go away for the whole three months if I wanted. My bloke seemed much more friendly than some that people have spoken about on here.
I hope this helps
Thank you pumpkin blossom