Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

The best way to change from an Oz passport to a UK passport and back again

The best way to change from an Oz passport to a UK passport and back again

Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice
Default The best way to change from an Oz passport to a UK passport and back again

Hi

In short, I am a UK citizen applying for Oz citizenship next week.

I am looking at possibly visiting the UK sometime in 2015 and am confused about how to leave & return to Oz on an Oz passport but be able to enter & leave the UK on my UK passport.

What I am struggling to figure out is, in what country should one change from their Oz to their UK passport and then back to their Oz passport?

And how to make sure airlines get the relevant passport details for the relevant flights, including making sure the relevant immigration authorities correctly know your whereabouts.

For instance, lets say I fly from Darwin to Singapore on an Oz passport.
The Singapore authorities then record on their immigration system that I have arrived on say, Oz passport number 12345678, on say January 1st, 2015.

I then leave Singapore on say January 2nd, 2015 (for a flight to the UK) on my UK passport, say UK passport number 87654321.

I see 2 problems with this:

1. Upon departure on January 2nd, 2015 the Singapore immigration officials may grill me extensively on why I don't have a stamp in my UK passport showing when I arrived into Singapore. They may also be angry that my UK passport isn't even showing up on their system. Could they assume that I have sneaked into Singapore illegally?

2. The 2nd fear I have is that if I ever return to Singapore on my Oz passport (12345678) I may be arrested for overstaying my welcome (because there would be no evidence on their system that I departed Singapore after my visit on 1st January, 2015 as I departed Singapore on my UK passport - which may result in a fine and a lengthy stay in a Singapore jail?

I noticed from your post that you did this but it doesn't say how you did it.

Hope you can advize.

Kind Regards,

Gary

Last edited by old.sparkles; Mar 1st 2014 at 5:37 am. Reason: edited due to post moved
Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen applying for Australian citizenship

Originally Posted by garyjames
Hi Caroline,

I just read your post.

I am looking at possibly visiting the UK sometime in 2015 and am confused about how to leave & return to Oz on an Oz passport but be able to enter & leave the UK on my UK passport.

What I am struggling to figure out is, in what country should one change from their Oz to their UK passport and then back to their Oz passport?

And how to make sure airlines get the relevant passport details for the relevant flights, including making sure the relevant immigration authorities correctly know your whereabouts.

The Singapore authorities then record on their immigration system that I have arrived on say, Oz passport number 12345678, on say January 1st, 2015.

I then leave Singapore on say January 2nd, 2015 (for a flight to the UK) on my UK passport, say UK passport number 87654321.

1. Upon departure on January 2nd, 2015 the Singapore immigration officials may grill me extensively on why I don't have a stamp in my UK passport showing when I arrived into Singapore. They may also be angry that my UK passport isn't even showing up on their system. Could they assume that I have sneaked into Singapore illegally?

2. The 2nd fear I have is that if I ever return to Singapore on my Oz passport (12345678) I may be arrested for overstaying my welcome (because there would be no evidence on their system that I departed Singapore after my visit on 1st January, 2015 as I departed Singapore on my UK passport - which may result in a fine and a lengthy stay in a Singapore jail?

Hope you can advize.

Kind Regards,

Gary
I think you are over thinking this. If you are just going to UK for a trip, then you could travel on your Australian passport all the way through. UK does not check passports on departure and nor does it require citizens to travel on a British passport anyway. So you could just use the Aussie passport the whole way.

If I were doing the trip as a citizen, I would use my Aussie passport, but if there were a long queue in UK, I would whip out my British passport and go through that queue.

I have made two trips to UK and making another shortly, I have never provided my passport details when purchasing a ticket.
There is nothing to worry about here.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen applying for Australian citizenship

Originally Posted by garyjames
Hi Caroline,

I just read your post.

Hope you can advize.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Check in Australia - show uk passport, or Aus one will do if going for a holiday

Leave aus - show Aus passport

SIN - it doesn't matter which passport you use as long as it allows you entry to the UK - so either your UK one or the Aus one if just holidaying. Singapore are just interested in the fact that they cannot let you board a plane unless you have a passport/visa allowing you entry to the country at the other end - the UK

Unless you do a stopover in SIN and actually enter the country they will not stamp your passport anyway. I have been through SIN 27 times (i think!) and not one stamp.

Arrive UK - show your UK passport - saves questions about how long you are there for, is it a holiday etc

Check in to leave UK - show Aus passport - you cannot enter Aus with an expired visa so you need your Aus passport

Leave the UK showing your Uk passport at Immigration Control

SIN - use your Aus passport when heading to aus - it shows you have the right to enter Aus

Aus - enter using your Aus passport.

Singapore - like many other countries- are used to travellers in transit, they will not arrest you, they will know exactly what the issues are. The just need proof the country you Are heading for will accept you.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice
Default Re: The best way to change from an Oz passport to a UK passport and back again

Hi Pollyana,

Thanks for replying to my post.

You raise an interesting distinction, namely the difference between the Airline Check in point & the people that man this point versus the Immigration Control point and the people that man this point.

They are obviously very different sets of people with very different sets of information requirements and different priorities.

I never thought of separating the two groups before.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Mar 1st 2014, 9:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best way to change from an Oz passport to a UK passport and back again

Use your Australian passport for all parts of your journey except when you reach the UK Border at which point join the EU queue and show your British passport. If in doubt at any stage show both passports.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

BobNorth1951 is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll find that countries which you are a citizen of, and have a passport from, prefer you to show their own national passports on entry.
I know the Australian gov't prefers you to show your Australian passport on entry into Australia, and I'd imagine the same to be true of the U.K.
I show both of my passports at each end and the immigration boys and girls can take their pick which colour they like that day. Invariably, it's their own.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobNorth1951
You'll find that countries which you are a citizen of, and have a passport from, prefer you to show their own national passports on entry.
I know the Australian gov't prefers you to show your Australian passport on entry into Australia, and I'd imagine the same to be true of the U.K.
I show both of my passports at each end and the immigration boys and girls can take their pick which colour they like that day. Invariably, it's their own.
Not quite true. The UK doesn't insist that you use your UK passport. As long as you are entering legally- eg on an Aus passport for a short holiday, they don't mind.
Australia does. Like the USA they insist that you enter and leave on the passport of that country.
Showing both can confuse the staff, they don't need both.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobNorth1951
Nope not true. Australia does not "prefer" citizens of use their Australian passport - it mandates this. It is not an option. UK does not care. People just use the UK one because the queue is shorter.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Nope not true. Australia does not "prefer" citizens of use their Australian passport - it mandates this.
And the clause of the Migration Act/Regulations that "mandates" this is ... ?

I think you'll find that there's no mandate in the sense of a legal obligation with penalties for non-compliance. It's more a de-facto consequence of Australia's universal visa regime. Australian citizens cannot get an Australian visa, which normally then requires that an Australian passport be used as a travel document for Australia.

However, for example, an Australian citizen with a New Zealand passport (for example), could normally work-around this issue. And then there are the cases where someone has an Australian Declaratory Visa.

The idea that Australia has a "mandate" for Australian citizens to use an Australian passport, in the sense of the criminal law, has become forum myth. It's just not true. That said, in 95%+ of cases, an Australian citizen effectively has to use an Australian passport.