British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Australian Citizenship - Ministerial discretion(discretion 5) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/australian-citizenship-ministerial-discretion-discretion-5-a-894820/)

sunvamp Apr 1st 2017 11:44 pm

Australian Citizenship - Ministerial discretion(discretion 5)

My wife is an Australian Permanent resident but spend last 13 months overseas because of her sick parents(have complete medical records), However I am an Australian Citizen and was living in Australia while my wife was overseas taking care of her parents. I even visited them couple of times during the last 13 months and our daughter(an Australian Citizen) was in her care as well. She had even worked for an Australian company and got paid in AUD while she was overseas. Also has paid the right taxes in Australia.
She is now back in Aus and we would now like to apply for Citizenship with Ministerial Discretion (Discretion 5) for her to consider the last 13 months in Australia. Has anyone been through this situation? If yes, how long the process took and what was the outcome? What documents you had provided. Planning to apply in another week's time. appreciate your feedback.

Pollyana Apr 2nd 2017 5:51 am

Re: Australian Citizenship - Ministerial discretion(discretion 5)

Originally Posted by sunvamp (Post 12219259)
My wife is an Australian Permanent resident but spend last 13 months overseas because of her sick parents(have complete medical records), However I am an Australian Citizen and was living in Australia while my wife was overseas taking care of her parents. I even visited them couple of times during the last 13 months and our daughter(an Australian Citizen) was in her care as well. She had even worked for an Australian company and got paid in AUD while she was overseas. Also has paid the right taxes in Australia.
She is now back in Aus and we would now like to apply for Citizenship with Ministerial Discretion (Discretion 5) for her to consider the last 13 months in Australia. Has anyone been through this situation? If yes, how long the process took and what was the outcome? What documents you had provided. Planning to apply in another week's time. appreciate your feedback.

I can't honestly see any reason why she shouldn't have to just wait and apply like everyone else.

Ministerial Discretion is aimed at people who have situations such as having to accompany their Australian spouses abroad for work. She CHOSE to leave the country, and you were not even with her. If she gets Min Discretion for spending 13 months outside the country, on her own, from choice, then everyone who chooses to take long holidays can just ignore the rules and apply early.

louie Apr 2nd 2017 5:52 am

There's a long thread here which might have useful info. Good luck.

louie Apr 2nd 2017 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12219354)
I can't honestly see any reason why she shouldn't have to just wait and apply like everyone else.

Ministerial Discretion is aimed at people who have situations such as having to accompany their Australian spouses abroad for work. She CHOSE to leave the country, and you were not even with her. If she gets Min Discretion for spending 13 months outside the country, on her own, from choice, then everyone who chooses to take long holidays can just ignore the rules and apply early.

Bit harsh Polly. No-one forces spouses to accompany their other half overseas either if you want to take it to that extent.

sunvamp Apr 2nd 2017 7:59 am

I dont think you read it properly Pollyana "spent last 13 months overseas because of her sick parents. She had even worked for an Australian company and got paid in AUD while she was overseas. Also has paid the right taxes in Australia".

Pollyana Apr 2nd 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12219359)
Bit harsh Polly. No-one forces spouses to accompany their other half overseas either if you want to take it to that extent.

I'm entitled to post my opinion. No skin off my nose whether she gets citizenship through Min Discretion or not, and its not personal, it's just my opinion. I spent time in the UK when a family member was ill. I was working remotely for the Aus Govt while there, being paid by them and paying taxes (naturally). However there was no way I could have got citizenship early because of it. I was outside the country and so the time didn't count towards it. I'm sure there are many people in a similar position.

sunvamp Apr 2nd 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12219355)
There's a long thread here which might have useful info. Good luck.

Thanks Louie, that post is really helpful..

sunvamp Apr 2nd 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12219456)
I'm entitled to post my opinion. No skin off my nose whether she gets citizenship through Min Discretion or not, and its not personal, it's just my opinion. I spent time in the UK when a family member was ill. I was working remotely for the Aus Govt while there, being paid by them and paying taxes (naturally). However there was no way I could have got citizenship early because of it. I was outside the country and so the time didn't count towards it. I'm sure there are many people in a similar position.

you have been lucky that you got to work with Aus Govt while you were overseas. They havent been generous enough to offer the same for people with permanent residency.

Pollyana Apr 2nd 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by sunvamp (Post 12219511)
you have been lucky that you got to work with Aus Govt while you were overseas. They havent been generous enough to offer the same for people with permanent residency.

I had a job with the Aus Govt and had a laptop so I could continue to work whilst I was away, and I was PR at the time. My employment base was in Aus and it was just a temporary arrangement with my boss at the time. Many of my colleagues also access their work whilst they are away from Australia, laptops, iphones and ipads all make it so easy. I then came back here and continued to work for them while adding up the time to get citizenship. If she gets it early, then she is the lucky one, not me.

xizzles Apr 2nd 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12219456)

There's no need to be offensive when putting your opinion across. Just because you couldn't get citizenship early doesn't somehow make you the moral police to judge when others ask about it.

Don't hide rudeness behind an entitlement to an opinion.

Pollyana Apr 3rd 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 12219819)
There's no need to be offensive when putting your opinion across. Just because you couldn't get citizenship early doesn't somehow make you the moral police to judge when others ask about it.

Don't hide rudeness behind an entitlement to an opinion.

I don't consider I have been offensive or rude, I can be if you want, then you will know the difference :ohmy:. I just have strong opinions on this subject and as this is a public forum I am free to voice them honestly and forthrightly, and thats what I have done. Nor am I anyone's moral police, its an opinion. I don't police anyone's morals, I consider them to be your issue, not mine.

I have explained how I was able to work for the government whilst offshore, as you expressed interest, and I have said that you spouse will be the lucky one if she achieves citizenship by this route - as she will be indeed. Many others would like to succeed in using their time outside Australia towards citizenship, and if she achieves it she may even become a trend-setter. Please report back with the result so that others can follow her example once they know its possible.
Now, as I said before, if she achieves it, she will be the lucky one :) If you want to interpret that as rude and offensive, thats down to you.

I take it you have read all the info onhttps://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/partner-spouse/eligibility
You asked earlier about documents - does the link not tell you what your spouse needs to supply?

xizzles Apr 3rd 2017 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12220019)
I don't consider I have been offensive or rude, I can be if you want, then you will know the difference :ohmy:. I just have strong opinions on this subject and as this is a public forum I am free to voice them honestly and forthrightly, and thats what I have done. Nor am I anyone's moral police, its an opinion. I don't police anyone's morals, I consider them to be your issue, not mine.

I have explained how I was able to work for the government whilst offshore, as you expressed interest, and I have said that you spouse will be the lucky one if she achieves citizenship by this route - as she will be indeed. Many others would like to succeed in using their time outside Australia towards citizenship, and if she achieves it she may even become a trend-setter. Please report back with the result so that others can follow her example once they know its possible.
Now, as I said before, if she achieves it, she will be the lucky one :) If you want to interpret that as rude and offensive, thats down to you.

I take it you have read all the info onhttps://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/partner-spouse/eligibility
You asked earlier about documents - does the link not tell you what your spouse needs to supply?

First of all, you have to stop whatever it is that you are smoking. I have no idea what you're on about, and I'm not the interested party as you alleged.

I merely pointed that there's no need to be brusque (and it would seem I wasn't the only one who felt you were a little harsh) in your initial reply, as you can see here:

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12219359)

If you're wont to give your opinion, I reckon it's fair game to be able to accept another person's equally valid perspective as well.

spouse of scouse Apr 3rd 2017 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by xizzles (Post 12220323)
First of all, you have to stop whatever it is that you are smoking. I have no idea what you're on about, and I'm not the interested party as you alleged.

I merely pointed that there's no need to be brusque (and it would seem I wasn't the only one who felt you were a little harsh) in your initial reply, as you can see here:

If you're wont to give your opinion, I reckon it's fair game to be able to accept another person's equally valid perspective as well.

Hey. The OP asked a question. Pollyanna responded. Another poster posted about Pollyanna's response. The OP posted about Pollyanna's response. Pollyanna responded to both of their responses about her response.

Xizzles, I love some of your posts, but entering the discussion after all of the above is a bit like being a spare prick at a wedding. Probably enough now, yes? :thumbup:

xizzles Apr 4th 2017 4:09 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12220523)
Hey. The OP asked a question. Pollyanna responded. Another poster posted about Pollyanna's response. The OP posted about Pollyanna's response. Pollyanna responded to both of their responses about her response.

Xizzles, I love some of your posts, but entering the discussion after all of the above is a bit like being a spare prick at a wedding. Probably enough now, yes? :thumbup:

SoS, as usual, words of wisdom and reason. I apologize for getting carried away - and yes, I'll shut up now.

airlineguy1980 Apr 7th 2017 5:33 pm

Xizzles still fighting the battle which I long stop doing it. But i enjoy the read about nazi Germany comment though