Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Australian citizenship and job offer from the UK

Australian citizenship and job offer from the UK

Old Sep 3rd 2015, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

sanch.alex86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian citizenship and job offer from the UK

Originally Posted by anhmel
Hi,
Have you write email and attached using Immi Acc yet? I don't think in Imm Acc, there is a link to upload this doc? They only have link for below document.
Address - Residential, Evidence of - Drivers LicenceDocument including photograph and signature - PassportDate of birth and birth name, evidence of - Birth CertificateForm 1195 Identity declaration - Photograph - Rear, endorsedForm 1195 Identity declaration - Photograph - PassportForm 1195 Identity declaration - Form 1195 Identity declarationFirst arrival in Australia, Evidence of - PassportPresent country of citizenship, Evidence of - Passport
I am not too sure but as far as I remember for my PR application, apart for those documents that are asked to upload (which appear in the middle of Immi Acc page), other documents can be uploaded using a attachment button on the right side.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:02 am
Just Joined

anhmel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Alex,
When are you going to lodge your application? and upload letter? Keep us up to date.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Alex,
When are you going to lodge your application? and upload letter? Keep us up to date.
Well, I will be eligible 22nd September and I will lodge it then along with the letter. I hope it works. I will keep you updated here throughout my process as I think it would be helpful for others.

BTW, my wife will be remain in Australia until she gets her passport. Do you think it would be better if I apply after she becomes citizen? or it does not have any positive points for me?
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I think you should wait after you do the test and get approval letter then leave for UK. If you satisfy all of requirements it should take about 2 months to get everything sort. Don't wait until the ceremony because that will take very long depend on your council. DIBP and council will email you about ceremony details 1 month in advance. At that time you come back and attend ceremony.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
I think you should wait after you do the test and get approval letter then leave for UK. If you satisfy all of requirements it should take about 2 months to get everything sort. Don't wait until the ceremony because that will take very long depend on your council. DIBP and council will email you about ceremony details 1 month in advance. At that time you come back and attend ceremony.
I had thought about that but it is not possible for me as I should start my job in the UK immediately otherwise they will hire someone else.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
When will your wife get her passport? You can wait until she get her passport but I don't think it will speed up the process or have any positive points on your case.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
When will your wife get her passport? You can wait until she get her passport but I don't think it will speed up the process or have any positive points on your case.
We both will be eligible on 22nd September to lodge our applications. I am not worries about the speed of my application. I am thinking if I can apply after she gets her citizenship or not. I mean, if I do not lodge my application and decide to go to the UK and wait until my wife gets her citizenship (she remains in Australia) and moves to the UK, is there any other rule for me (as a spouse of an Australia citizen) to lodge me application from the UK?

I am evaluating different methods to decide the best option.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:09 am
Just Joined

I see what you mean now. I think that is alternative way. If you apply under spouse of Australian Citizen, it will take longer and it will be under minister discretion. However since you satisfy all residency requirement, for sure you will get it. Most of other case, they don't satisfy residency requirement.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

I see what you mean now. I think that is alternative way. If you apply under spouse of Australian Citizen, it will take longer and it will be under minister discretion. However since you satisfy all residency requirement, for sure you will get it. Most of other case, they don't satisfy residency requirement.
The only problem is that if I move to the UK and wait until my wife gets the citizenship, I may lose the residency requirement (90 days absence in the last year).
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Yeah, forgot about that. Then you should go with option 1 , lodge your application and write letter. Because I don't think your wife can get passport within 90 days. The ceremony will take age...
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys,

Today, I had another call with DIBP. There was a mature lady and she understood the situation and tried to explain everything to me in a clear way. Moreover, she talked to a technical officer in order to be sure about the information she gave me.

She said that if I lodge my application in Australia, the whole process should be in Australia and I need to be in Australia to attend the test, at the time of approval, and ceremony. She told me that in that case I probably need to travel back to Australia 3 times.

She said that if I lodge my application after I move to the UK (outside Australia), it will go to the Canberra office. She explained that since the Australian High Commission in London is a big office, they can arrange my test and ceremony to be held in London. However, I may require to travel back to Australia once, at the time of approval. She explained to me that if I lodge it after I move to the UK, I need to write an extended letter explaining my situation and write about my ties and intention to reside in Australia. She said that the person does not only judge my letter by head but also by heart. She advised me to lodge it after I move to the UK in order to have less travel back to Australia.

At the end of the conversation which took around 40 minutes, she told me she spent this amount of time to give me the right rules and she understood the importance of the situation.

Well, I think I need to lodge my application after I move to the UK and from there I will see what I can do. For sure, I will update my situation here.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sanch.Alex 86Have you decide to lodge your application here or oversea?Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Hi Sanch.Alex 86Have you decide to lodge your application here or oversea?Thanks
Hi, I just lodged my application half an hour before here. I am not sure what will be happened to my application. I also include a detailed letter about my circumstances.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

My citizenship application story:

My wife and I applied online on 22/9/15. On my application, I mentioned that I am planning to go to the UK for 3 years from 16/10/15 as advised by DIBP person by calling many times.

Here is timeline:
22/09/15 ----> Applied online
28/09/15 ----> Test appointment email received
09/10/15 ----> Citizenship test

We (my wife and I) went to DIBP office in Sydney for the test. The behavior of the person who checked my documents was not good at all. Once he saw that I will move to the UK for 3 years, he said that he is not gonna approve my application as the travel period is quite long. However, he told me he needs to check other things before make a decision. At that time I was really upset and worried. Unfortunately, he was the person who checked my wife's document too and he realize that she was my spouse. That is why my wife became worried as well.

We finished the test and left the office but both very anxious about the application. I moved out of Australia on 16/10/15 to the UK and my wife stayed in Australia. On 21/10/15, my wife received her approval letter (the date on the letter was 15/10/15, which was 1 day before my flight). This means that, I did mistake to be too honest to write about my travel otherwise I would have received the approval letter too.

On 23/10/15, I received an email from the person who interviewed me on the test day. I will send the content of the email in the next reply and I really appreciate if anyone can help me on how to reply to this email. I am really confused and anxious about my application.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Please read the above reply.
Here is the email that the person who interviewed me on the test day sent on 23/10/15. Any suggestion on how to reply to this email is greatly appreciated. I am not sure whether he is going to approve my application or not. So sad.

Email content:

I am writing to you about your application for Australian citizenship by conferral, lodged on 22/09/2015.

Subsection 21(2)(g) of the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 (the Act) states that a person is eligible to become an Australian citizen if (amongst other criteria) the Minister is satisfied that the person is likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia at the time of the Minister’s decision on the application.
• You indicated on your citizenship application with your overseas travel plan for three years from 16 October 2015 to work as a research fellow in the UK for fixed term contract.

Procedural fairness
You are now invited to respond to or comment on the information relevant to the issue of whether you are likely to reside, or continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia.

A copy of subsection 21(2) of the Act and an excerpt from Chapter 5 of the Australian Citizenship Instructions, relating to the assessment of whether an applicant is likely to reside, or continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia, are at Attachment A.

Please read the contents of this letter carefully, including the information at Attachment A. You should ensure that your response addresses each and every topic that you feel is relevant to your circumstances.

If there is additional information that you wish to be taken into account you may give that information to the Department. This information can include material provided by other people on your behalf.

Timeframe for response
As this letter was sent by email given in person you must respond within 28 days of the date of this letter.

If you have a valid reason for not providing a response within the specified period, please contact me in writing or by telephone. An extension of time may be given depending on the circumstances.

If you do not provide any additional information in the period specified and you have not been given an extension of time to provide additional information, a decision may be made on your application based on the information available.

Contacting the department
If you have an enquiry, you can telephone our Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 between 8.30 am and 4.30 pm Monday to Friday. Details on contacting our offices outside Australia are on our website at Australian citizenship.
Yours sincerely,

Attachments:
>Attachment A: excerpts from the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Australian Citizenship Instructions and the Australian Citizenship Instructions

ATTACHMENT A:
Australian Citizenship Act 2007:
21 Application and eligibility for citizenship

General eligibility
(2) A person is eligible to become an Australian citizen if the Minister is satisfied that the person:
(a) is aged 18 or over at the time the person made the application; and
(b) is a permanent resident:
(i) at the time the person made the application; and
(ii) at the time of the Minister’s decision on the application; and
(c) satisfies the general residence requirement (see section 22) or the special residence requirement (see section 22A or 22B), or has completed relevant defence service (see section 23), at the time the person made the application; and
(d) understands the nature of an application under subsection (1); and
(e) possesses a basic knowledge of the English language; and
(f) has an adequate knowledge of Australia and of the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship; and
(g) is likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia if the application were to be approved; and
(h) is of good character at the time of the Minister’s decision on the application.

24 Minister’s decision

Person not present in Australia
(5) If:
(a) the person is covered by subsection 21(2), (3) or (4); and
(aa) the Minister is satisfied that the person did not satisfy the special residence requirement referred to in section 22A or 22B; and
(b) the Minister did not apply subsection 22(9) in relation to the person; and
(c) the Minister did not apply subsection 22(11) in relation to the person;
the Minister must not approve the person becoming an Australian citizen at a time when the person is not present in Australia.

Australian Citizenship Instructions
5.7 Likely to reside, or continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia (s21(2)(g))
Factors that may contribute to a close and continuing association with Australia include:
• Australian citizen spouse or de facto partner
• Australian citizen children
• length of relationship with Australian citizen spouse or de facto partner
• extended family in Australia
• return visits to Australia
• periods of residence in Australia
• intention to reside in Australia
• employment in Australia (for example, public or private sector)
• ownership of property in Australia and
• evidence of income tax payment in Australia

The application (Forms 1300t and 1290) contain a declaration which refers to an intention to reside, or continuing intention to reside, in Australia, or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia. This declaration would generally be sufficient evidence of the applicant’s intentions unless there is evidence to the contrary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.