Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Australian citizenship and job offer from the UK

Australian citizenship and job offer from the UK

Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

sanch.alex86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian citizenship and job offer from the UK

Dear all,

This is my first thread here but I have been reading many threads to find answer for my case. Here is my timeline:
20/02/2011: Firs arrival in Australia on student visa
22/09/2014: Granted PR (onshore)
I will be eligible to lodge my citizenship application on 22/09/2015 (1 year after my PR).

Recently, I got a job offer for 3 years at a university in the UK and they want me to start immediately. I do not want to lose this opportunity and at the same time I really want to get my Australian citizenship so I can come back after my work in the UK.

I think about many ways that I can proceed with my citizenship application. Here is the 2 most possible options for me:

1- Move to the UK and lodge my application online in the UK. In the last couple of days I called AHC in London. They told me that everything will be in the UK including citizenship test and ceremony (but the application is processed in Australia).
For this option, I am worried of my application to be refused in case the officer in Australia would not be satisfied of my intention to live in Australia.

2- Stay in Australia until 22/09/2015 and lodge my online application in Australia. Then wait for the test and getting approval letter (hopefully in 2-3 weeks as it happens recently for couple of my friends). Then, move to the UK before ceremony and once the invitation letter received in Australia, have a quick trip to Australia for the ceremony and passport application (let say around 10 days travel).
For this option, I am not sure if I leave Australia after approval, will DIBP hold my application or they will send the ceremony letter.

Sorry to make it long but I really appreciate if anyone can guide me about which path is the best or if there is any other option available for me.

Thanks,
Alex
Old Aug 15th 2015, 11:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian citizenship and job offer from the UK

Many do take their test and have their ceremony in London without any problems.

The requirement states that you need to "intend to reside or continue to reside in Australia, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia."

If you need to be outside Australia on a temporary basis, i.e. the length of your fixed term contract, and intend to return then it shouldn't affect your citizenship application.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Many do take their test and have their ceremony in London without any problems.

The requirement states that you need to "intend to reside or continue to reside in Australia, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia."

If you need to be outside Australia on a temporary basis, i.e. the length of your fixed term contract, and intend to return then it shouldn't affect your citizenship application.
Thank you for your reply.

Would you able tell me how can I show that I intend to return? This is the thing that I am worried about. Basically, I came in Australia in 2011 as student with my wife and I have been here till present. As I said, I was offered a 3-year research fellow contract with a university in the UK. How can I show such a intention to them?

Besides, I called Australian High Commission in London and they said same thing as you said. But I called DIBP in Australia several times and they told me that it is not possible to apply from the UK at all. That is why I am totally confused about the procedure.

Finally, in ImmiAccount, when I start citizenship application, the first question is asking about the place that I am currently in. When I choose UK as an example, a warning message is appearing saying that "the applicant should be in Australia at the time of decision". Would you please explain it?

Thank you indeed for your help. It is really important for me to accept the job offer or not.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 10:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanch.alex86
Thank you for your reply.

Would you able tell me how can I show that I intend to return? This is the thing that I am worried about. Basically, I came in Australia in 2011 as student with my wife and I have been here till present. As I said, I was offered a 3-year research fellow contract with a university in the UK. How can I show such a intention to them?

Besides, I called Australian High Commission in London and they said same thing as you said. But I called DIBP in Australia several times and they told me that it is not possible to apply from the UK at all. That is why I am totally confused about the procedure.

Finally, in ImmiAccount, when I start citizenship application, the first question is asking about the place that I am currently in. When I choose UK as an example, a warning message is appearing saying that "the applicant should be in Australia at the time of decision". Would you please explain it?

Thank you indeed for your help. It is really important for me to accept the job offer or not.
Calling the DIBP helpline will only get you a very basic answer - call centre staff are not trained to deal with the unusual and out-of-the-ordinary requests and issues.

If you have a three year contract with an end date, then there's the first part of your proof of intent to return - it has an end date. Maintaining a home here, bank accounts, etc are also proof of intent to return.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Calling the DIBP helpline will only get you a very basic answer - call centre staff are not trained to deal with the unusual and out-of-the-ordinary requests and issues.

If you have a three year contract with an end date, then there's the first part of your proof of intent to return - it has an end date. Maintaining a home here, bank accounts, etc are also proof of intent to return.
Thanks. I thought that a 3-year contract would be considered as a long time outside Australia which would not satisfied the "intention to reside in Australia". Now I feel more confident to move to the UK.

BTW, can I lodge my application online? What about the warning that I mentioned in my previous reply?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You should lodge your citizenship application in Australia and when your invitation for the citizenship test comes through you can inform DIBP that you have moved to the UK temporarily and this should prompt them to tell London to arrange your test and citizenship ceremony at Australia House.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You should lodge your citizenship application in Australia and when your invitation for the citizenship test comes through you can inform DIBP that you have moved to the UK temporarily and this should prompt them to tell London to arrange your test and citizenship ceremony at Australia House.
That is great.
BTW, one of the questions in the application form is about travel plan in the next 12 months. Do you think it is better to leave it blank to make sure that my application is being processed or I should write my travel (which is 3-year journey)?

One more thing, after I lodge my application in Australia and travel to the UK, do you think my application will be processed or will be hold? I am happy to make 2 travels (one for the test and one for the ceremony) from UK to Australia, if i am sure that my application is being processed (not hold) and they inform me about my test date and ceremony.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 2:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That is great.
BTW, one of the questions in the application form is about travel plan in the next 12 months. Do you think it is better to leave it blank to make sure that my application is being processed or I should write my travel (which is 3-year journey)?
Why would you even consider not telling the truth on your application? Are you planning to travel? It's not a trick question!

One more thing, after I lodge my application in Australia and travel to the UK, do you think my application will be processed or will be hold? I am happy to make 2 travels (one for the test and one for the ceremony) from UK to Australia, if i am sure that my application is being processed (not hold) and they inform me about my test date and ceremony.
See the post from Brit in Paris regarding how to go about applying and ceremonies in UK.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why would you even consider not telling the truth on your application? Are you planning to travel? It's not a trick question!

See the post from Brit in Paris regarding how to go about applying and ceremonies in UK.
The reason that I said so is the following rule that is written in citizenship form (1300t)

Circumstances when an application cannot be approved:
If any of the following circumstances apply to you, your application for Australian citizenship cannot be approved:
• your identity cannot be verified.
you are not in Australia at the time of decision on your application. (If you have an Australian citizen spouse or partner the decision maker may use a discretion to approve your application while you are outside Australia.)
• it is less than 12 months since you last ceased to be an Australian citizen.
• there is an adverse or qualified security assessment in place in relation to you, or you have been convicted of a national security offence.

I have a feeling that if I write my proposed travel (in Part J – Proposed overseas travel of form 1300t) and saying 3 years as Length of proposed absence, my application will be on hold or refused.

Please advise if I am wrong.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The reason that I said so is the following rule that is written in citizenship form (1300t)

Circumstances when an application cannot be approved:
If any of the following circumstances apply to you, your application for Australian citizenship cannot be approved:
• your identity cannot be verified.
you are not in Australia at the time of decision on your application. (If you have an Australian citizen spouse or partner the decision maker may use a discretion to approve your application while you are outside Australia.)
• it is less than 12 months since you last ceased to be an Australian citizen.
• there is an adverse or qualified security assessment in place in relation to you, or you have been convicted of a national security offence.

I have a feeling that if I write my proposed travel (in Part J – Proposed overseas travel of form 1300t) and saying 3 years as Length of proposed absence, my application will be on hold or refused.

Please advise if I am wrong.
I have a feeling that if you are dishonest on your application it could go very wrong for you. Nobody here is going to encourage you to be dishonest on an application, so if that's what you plan to do then that's your prerogative.

If obtaining Australian citizenship is that important than my suggestion would be to turn down the 3 year job and stay in Australia.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have a feeling that if you are dishonest on your application it could go very wrong for you. Nobody here is going to encourage you to be dishonest on an application, so if that's what you plan to do then that's your prerogative.

If obtaining Australian citizenship is that important than my suggestion would be to turn down the 3 year job and stay in Australia.
I do not want to be dishonest at all and you are absolutely right that any false information will be very wrong for me.

I just want to find the best solution for my situation if there is any.

Brit in Paris said that to lodge my application in Australia and once they ask for citizenship test, I tell them that I have moved to the UK. The question is that whether they ask for citizenship test if they already know that I am not in Australia according to the travel plan that I put in the application?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

I called DIBP yesterday. There was a lady and she explained the procedure. Also, she checked with her supervisor to make sure that the information is correct.

She told me whether I lodge my application in or outside Australia, I need to be in Australia at the time of approval and I should tell them in writing that I can travel to Australia for approval so they can process my application. However, both citizenship test and ceremony can be organised in Australian High Commission in London but it should be approved by the case officer.
She advise me to write a cover letter explaining my situation and attach it in ImmiAccount.

To sum up, I will lodge my application in Australia and write in the appropriate section (overseas travel) that I will be outside Australia for 3 years on a fixed-term contract as a researcher in a British university. From there, I hope my application goes through.

Any other advice from you guys are highly appreciated.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 9:26 am

I called DIBP yesterday. There was a lady and she explained the procedure. Also, she checked with her supervisor to make sure that the information is correct.

She told me whether I lodge my application in or outside Australia, I need to be in Australia at the time of approval and I should tell them in writing that I can travel to Australia for approval so they can process my application. However, both citizenship test and ceremony can be organised in Australian High Commission in London but it should be approved by the case officer.
She advise me to write a cover letter explaining my situation and attach it in ImmiAccount.

To sum up, I will lodge my application in Australia and write in the appropriate section (overseas travel) that I will be outside Australia for 3 years on a fixed-term contract as a researcher in a British university. From there, I hope my application goes through.

Any other advice from you guys are highly appreciated.
Sounds like you have a plan. You just need to make sure you can organise it so you are in Australia when the decision on your application is made.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

That is the only concern I have. I was told that if I write a letter aaying that I available to travel to Australia, the application will be processed and they would email me about the decision so I can go back.
I hope it is right.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 2:11 am
Just Joined

anhmel is an unknown quantity at this point

That is the only concern I have. I was told that if I write a letter aaying that I available to travel to Australia, the application will be processed and they would email me about the decision so I can go back.
I hope it is right.
Hi,
Have you write email and attached using Immi Acc yet? I don't think in Imm Acc, there is a link to upload this doc? They only have link for below document.
Address - Residential, Evidence of - Drivers LicenceDocument including photograph and signature - PassportDate of birth and birth name, evidence of - Birth CertificateForm 1195 Identity declaration - Photograph - Rear, endorsedForm 1195 Identity declaration - Photograph - PassportForm 1195 Identity declaration - Form 1195 Identity declarationFirst arrival in Australia, Evidence of - PassportPresent country of citizenship, Evidence of - Passport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.