Australia trip 2017

Old Apr 4th 2016, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Spider15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia trip 2017

I am visiting Australia for the first time next year on holiday , but I have a conviction for theft from about 30 years ago. I received a 12 month conditional discharge and that's all, I have nothing else against my name. I believe I qualify for a e visa, but what should I check on the arrival card, and what documentation would I need at immigration on arrival?
Old Apr 4th 2016, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia trip 2017

How long are you coming for?
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I'm coming for about 30 days
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

The holiday is about 30 days. Visiting some family, going to a wedding and a bit of a trip round the sights
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spider15
Hi, I'm coming for about 30 days
No worries at all - just an electronic visa and they will not be interested in your conviction. Just make sure you declare it if they ask on the application.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

So what about the check box on the arrival card . If I check it yes do I have to wait to be interviewed by immigration. I think the e visa application form online will probably ask the question and if so then I will have to check the box yeah
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

So what about the check box on the arrival card . If I check it yes do I have to wait to be interviewed by immigration. I think the e visa application form online will probably ask the question and if so then I will have to check the box yeah
Well, you have to say 'yes' on the arrival card but your visa will have already been approved and is electronically connected to your passport. Any interview with immigration would be VERY short. Checking 'no' on the arrival card could provoke a much longer delay.

Nothing to worry about at all.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Okay thanks for the help. Looking forward to it
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Okay so it is now getting close to the time of my trip to Australia. I have read loads of conflicting advise regarding this issue, including so called experts saying that if a conviction is declared on the arrival card and you haven't declared it on the visa application then your visa will be cancelled at immigration. Today I applied online for the eVisa because after reading all the conditions regarding convictions I qualified easily to make the application. I created an immi account and applied, and nowhere did it ask "have you any convictions". Within minutes I received a email from @border.gov.au with an attached PDF eVisa for my trip. The visa has conditions attached one of which says "8528 - NO CRIM CONVICTIONS" .
So I was never asked the question on the application form, just in the conditions to apply for the eVisa that I met the criteria to apply, which I do.
So now on the arrival card when it asks the question which has no filtering criteria, I tick "yes" will I encounter problems?
It seems to me that the visa application and arrival cards are at conflict here, and reading other posts on the internet are causing lots of confusion, and if the specific question was asked on all initial visa applications, things could be declared and visitors wouldn't be having all these problems deciding what to do.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 7:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so it is now getting close to the time of my trip to Australia. I have read loads of conflicting advise regarding this issue, including so called experts saying that if a conviction is declared on the arrival card and you haven't declared it on the visa application then your visa will be cancelled at immigration. Today I applied online for the eVisa because after reading all the conditions regarding convictions I qualified easily to make the application. I created an immi account and applied, and nowhere did it ask "have you any convictions". Within minutes I received a email from @border.gov.au with an attached PDF eVisa for my trip. The visa has conditions attached one of which says "8528 - NO CRIM CONVICTIONS" .
So I was never asked the question on the application form, just in the conditions to apply for the eVisa that I met the criteria to apply, which I do.
So now on the arrival card when it asks the question which has no filtering criteria, I tick "yes" will I encounter problems?
It seems to me that the visa application and arrival cards are at conflict here, and reading other posts on the internet are causing lots of confusion, and if the specific question was asked on all initial visa applications, things could be declared and visitors wouldn't be having all these problems deciding what to do.
So you followed the instructions honestly.
If the question is still on the arrivals card (I believe it is) than answer that honestly.

If they choose to ask you about it just tell the truth. That's all you need to do. Your visa will not be 'instantly cancelled', thats just rubbish. They will ask you to explain it before even considering cancelling. And with the conviction info you posted in this thread even if they do ask you I honestly cannot se it being a problem. Many people who have been on this forum have far worse and have not had an issue.

Stop reading scare stories or you will fret yourself silly!
Old Oct 8th 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

I will answer honestly., and I believe you are correct, honesty will be rewarded.
If not then Dubai is nice in winter lol
Old Oct 8th 2016, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I will answer honestly., and I believe you are correct, honesty will be rewarded.
If not then Dubai is nice in winter lol
Personally I think the responses you got back in April were wrong. I think you should have applied for a tourist visa not an e-visa and declared your conviction. I definitely do not believe that immigration "won't be interested" as far as I know they are always interested. I don't think it would be a show stopper though and don't for a second think you would be denied entry but expect some questioning when you arrive.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 12:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You are eligible for the subclass 651 eVisitor visa as you "have not been convicted of an offence or offences for which the total sentence is more than 12 months (whether or not the sentence has been served)."

When you arrive in Australia you will be require to complete an incoming passenger card which asks "Do you have any criminal conviction/s?" to which you must answer truthfully by ticking "Yes". The ABF officer will ask you about your conviction. Simply tell the truth and you won't have any problems.