Aus-UK dual citizen. Booking flights

Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:20 am
Just Joined

magnacumlaude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aus-UK dual citizen. Booking flights

Hi there! I'm an Australian citizen and resident who also holds a British passport.

I'm in the process of booking a trip to Europe/UK.

Given that I would like to enter Europe on my UK passport, and that I am bound by Australian law to enter/exit Australia on my Australian passport, which passport's details should I use when booking my flights?

This is the first time in my life using my UK passport to travel as I have only just acquired it.

Many thanks for your help!
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus-UK dual citizen. Booking flights

You should give your UK passports details to the airline. They need evidence you have the right to enter the destination they are transporting you to.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnacumlaude
Hi there! I'm an Australian citizen and resident who also holds a British passport.

I'm in the process of booking a trip to Europe/UK.

Given that I would like to enter Europe on my UK passport, and that I am bound by Australian law to enter/exit Australia on my Australian passport, which passport's details should I use when booking my flights?

This is the first time in my life using my UK passport to travel as I have only just acquired it.

Many thanks for your help!
I shouldn't think you need to provide your passport details when you book flights. Well I never have anyway.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:05 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're talking about providing your passport details ahead of your flight for API purposes then use your Australian passport details as this is the passport DIBP is expecting you to use to leave Australia. Then simply present your British passport when arriving in the UK or another EU country to be admitted as a British/EU citizen.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you're talking about providing your passport details ahead of your flight for API purposes then use your Australian passport details as this is the passport DIBP is expecting you to use to leave Australia. Then simply present your British passport when arriving in the UK or another EU country to be admitted as a British/EU citizen.
You give the airline your UK passport details. You exit through Australian immigration using your Australian passport.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I've never, in 30 odd years, had to give my passport details when booking my ticket. As long as whichever passport I flash has the same name as the ticket its all good.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slackbloke
You give the airline your UK passport details. You exit through Australian immigration using your Australian passport.
I get you in principle. But what is this about giving the airline your passport details, they won't ask. Won't need a passport until check in and even then OP can use either passport as Australians can travel to UK without a pre organised visa.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I find these comments really odd. I've flown BA, Ryanair and Easyjet in the last few months and they all require passport details. Admittedly if you don't provide them then it gets sorted out at the airport, but you can't check in online without having provided them.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I get you in principle. But what is this about giving the airline your passport details, they won't ask. Won't need a passport until check in and even then OP can use either passport as Australians can travel to UK without a pre organised visa.
They do ask. It's not required until check-in but to help with API they try and gather it in advance of check-in, to avoid possible delays at the airport. Australians may need a visa for the UK depending on the length and nature of the stay, which the OP didn't specify.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
I find these comments really odd. I've flown BA, Ryanair and Easyjet in the last few months and they all require passport details. Admittedly if you don't provide them then it gets sorted out at the airport, but you can't check in online without having provided them.
I know. I just booked tickets with Emirates last week and was asked for passport details for myself and my daughter. The trip we took in June we were asked for passport details during booking from all 4 airlines we flew with. (Thai, Air Canada, Lufthansa and Czech)
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:16 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I've never, in 30 odd years, had to give my passport details when booking my ticket. As long as whichever passport I flash has the same name as the ticket its all good.
Same, never once have I been asked for passport details when booking flights. It really is none of their concern really.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by slackbloke
They do ask. It's not required until check-in but to help with API they try and gather it in advance of check-in, to avoid possible delays at the airport. Australians may need a visa for the UK depending on the length and nature of the stay, which the OP didn't specify.
I have travelled from Australia to the UK four times in the last four years. I have recently booked another flight too. I have flown on BA, Qantas and Cathay. And no, I have never been asked or invited to provide my passport details upon purchasing a ticket. I have not shared my passport with anyone until I have checked in.

The airline will be perfectly happy with either an Australian or a UK passport at check in, as both are allowed to fly to the UK without a visa. Upon arrival in the UK, the British passport is obviously the one to present.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Nov 20th 2014 at 12:17 pm. Reason: Sp
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Same here. Sometimes websites have asked, but its usually because the US flights require details for prior checking. I ignore the request, preferring to provide y passport at checkin, and have never had an issue.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

This is BA explaining they need the information - http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-visas-and-api (point 4). Those of you who have not provided the information in advance will have provided it (possibly unwittingly) at check in, but life is easier for everyone if you sort it out before you go to the airport.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 4:22 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

As this booking will involve a return flight to Australia, where clearance is needed before being allowed on a flight to Oz, I would just use the Australian passport details.

Of course this is just for the airline's use - for immigration, regardless of entering or exiting the country, always use the Australian passport in Australia and the UK passport in the UK.

In other words - which passport to use:
Australian check-in: Australian
Australian immigration on exit: Australian
UK immigration upon arrival: UK
UK check-in: Australian
UK immigration upon exit: UK
Australian immigration upon arrival: Australian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.