April 2008 Applicants

Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:13 pm
nja
Forum Regular

nja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: April 2008 Applicants

Originally Posted by tiger222
NJA -

Glad to "meet" you. I don't think I've run into any other US citizens on this site. I agree with you that the Florida housing Market is very soft. I have a friend that tried to sell her house in Florida. She ended up leasing it to a person that wanted to do a lease to purchase option. She used an agent for this but ended up finding the buyer/leaser on Craigslist.

You could wait to do the meds and PCCs because once they are done, you'll need to validate your visa before 12 months on the date of the earliest. (does that make sense). You also won't get a CO assigned very quickly as the file will have all that is necessary for Visa to be issued. Pro - you'll receive the Visa sooner. I read a thread where it takes about 5 weeks from the time the CO asks for PCCS and Meds to receive Visa. Does the ACS "expire"? Where were you previously that the dates were "reversed" from the US?

We're hoping to be in QLD in September 2008. We really don't want to go through another winter here. If we rent the house, we'll have to use the University's dates - and the tenant will want to begin the lease in August. So we have our work cut out for us either way.

OH will sit IELTS this saturday. He's confident he'll pass on the first try. We need 5 of those 10 points.

Glad to meet you too. Where are you currently located?

I'm actually a dual citizen of the UK and USA. I moved to US in 1987, a couple of weeks before the crash, lost my job within a month.

Good luck to the OH on the IELTS, they were a little more tricky than I expected... read and listen carefully. For the reading part I recommend reading the questions before the actual text.

I was told the ACS last for 2 years... let's hope so. I did need to obtain new reference letters though.

I'm thinking of doing my meds and PCC in about 3 months, a sort of balance between front-loading, yet having them prior to the actual request.

As to the house, as it's lake front I'm hopeful that it will sell, the question is do I put it on the market now or wait until visa approval. I'd love to move the day I get my visa. My OH is a little more nervous, she doesn't want to sell and then find the visas don't pan out. My daughters on the other hand (5 + 11) can't wait to move.

n
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by benlast
I'm hoping so... been doing practice tests to reduce the unknowns. I reckon that being a native speaker (and brought up by a father who was a bit of a grammar-and-correct-English pedant) helps a lot, but when 33% of the marks of the second writing tasks are dependent on how you can structure an argument, it's still easy to lose marks

Thanks - let's hope neither of us need it!

Cheers
Ben
I have to say I had some fun on that second part. The question asked whether young people of today had more knowledge of world issues than previous generations.

My answer was a comedy effort quoting my fathers belief that the Khmer Rouge was a west end play and the famous paris student riots were caused by football supporters. Also mentioned a local builder who denied he had anything to do with the Berlin wall falling down etc etc.

The hardest bit is the listening cos it is easy to miss something in the conversation....especially when you are trying to answer the previous question.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

woo hoo we received our acknowledgment e-mail today
just hope everything else happens that fast
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:57 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by De Mange
The hardest bit is the listening cos it is easy to miss something in the conversation....especially when you are trying to answer the previous question.
Yeah, you end up practising writing one answer down whilst listening for the next. Though I have to say that so far, in my practise passages, I haven't heard the answers to two questions come so close together that you'd risk missing the second whilst writing down the answer to the first. I mean, that'd be damn sneaky of them...

Cheers
Ben
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, you end up practising writing one answer down whilst listening for the next. Though I have to say that so far, in my practise passages, I haven't heard the answers to two questions come so close together that you'd risk missing the second whilst writing down the answer to the first. I mean, that'd be damn sneaky of them...

Cheers
Ben
I probably guessed the answer to 5 of the 40 questions and still managed an overall score of 9. Think you need a 7 for proficiency so even if you get 25% of the questions wrong you will be fine.

Overall I dont think there is an easier bonus 10 points than a good old English test.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:25 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by De Mange
I probably guessed the answer to 5 of the 40 questions and still managed an overall score of 9. Think you need a 7 for proficiency so even if you get 25% of the questions wrong you will be fine.

Overall I dont think there is an easier bonus 10 points than a good old English test.
Hmm... if the top score is 9, which one would achieve if one got all 40 questions right, then each question must be worth 0.225 of a mark. So if you got all 5 of your guesses wrong, you would have dropped 1.125 marks and probably been awarded 8 or so. Getting 25% wrong would be dropping 10 questions, or 2.25 marks, which would put you just under 7. So if the marks are weighted in a linear fashion, you can get away with dropping 2 marks' worth, which is 8 questions Which is quite reassuring, really.

I think I might be obsessing a bit here...

Cheers
b

Last edited by benlast; Apr 17th 2008 at 1:30 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm... if the top score is 9, which one would achieve if one got all 40 questions right, then each question must be worth 0.225 of a mark. So if you got all 5of your guesses wrong, you would have dropped 1.125 marks and probably been awarded 8 or so. Getting 25% wrong would be dropping 10 questions, or 2.25 marks, which would put you just under 7. So if the marks are weighted in a linear fashion, you can get away with dropping 2 marks' worth, which is 8 questions Which is quite reassuring, really.

I think I might be obsessing a bit here...

Cheers
b
If only they'd let you sit a maths test instead.....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

I'm sitting the IELTS this Saturday, the 19th: as long as I can pass it within two or three attempts I'll have time to provide the results as part of the application. Whilst I'm not a million years away from the age limit (I'm 43) it was more a case of "let's get the damn thing lodged and the clock ticking" than anything else!

Cheers
Ben
Ben (or anyone),
How does it work then with the lodging of documents? I'm half-way through completing my Visa application online, but I had it in mind that I wouldn't be able to hit "submit" until I got the 2 docs we're still waiting for -- i.e. IELTS result and a copy of a birth certificate we've requested. Is there a grace period before you have to get the docs on the system?
Thanks.
Chris.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:09 pm
Citizen Of The World

Originally Posted by chasmw
Ben (or anyone),
How does it work then with the lodging of documents?... Is there a grace period before you have to get the docs on the system?
Being one of those lazy people who has an agent to do it for them... I can't say for sure how one lodges the docs. However, in my case, I know that I can still submit the visa application prior to receiving the IELTS results. I've met the "threshold requirements" of having competent English by holding a UK passport. This is also worth 15 points, which leaves me 5 points short of the passmark at the time I applied. I can then "upgrade" this to 25 points with a Proficient IELTS score anytime prior to the Case Officer making a decision on my visa (which on current timescales will be several months down the road. I just have to submit the IELTS score once I get a suitable one, and inform DIAC that I want to claim 25 points with that IELTS score.

So right now my application has 115 points, and when I stick the IELTS on, I get 125. And again: this is being done through an agent, who seems to know what he's doing (he has a damn good track record!).

Cheers
Ben
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Ben (or anyone),
How does it work then with the lodging of documents? I'm half-way through completing my Visa application online, but I had it in mind that I wouldn't be able to hit "submit" until I got the 2 docs we're still waiting for -- i.e. IELTS result and a copy of a birth certificate we've requested. Is there a grace period before you have to get the docs on the system?
Thanks.
Chris.
Once you click the submit button, you'll get a confirmation and a list of documents that should be submitted within 28 days. But Ben's answer is what I understand it to be - and we stand where he is - 115 points, looking for "proficient" rating on IELTS this weekend (which would be within 28 day window - but results might not) for 125 points. Note I did try to write date of ielts in e-application, but as it was in the future, it wouldn't take it.

HTH
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Ben (or anyone),
Thanks.
Chris.
LODGE! LODGE! LODGE! Just wanted to encourage you to elodge the Visa sooner rather then later
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:58 am
nja
Forum Regular

nja is an unknown quantity at this point

Being one of those lazy people who has an agent to do it for them... I can't say for sure how one lodges the docs. However, in my case, I know that I can still submit the visa application prior to receiving the IELTS results. I've met the "threshold requirements" of having competent English by holding a UK passport. This is also worth 15 points, which leaves me 5 points short of the passmark at the time I applied. I can then "upgrade" this to 25 points with a Proficient IELTS score anytime prior to the Case Officer making a decision on my visa (which on current timescales will be several months down the road. I just have to submit the IELTS score once I get a suitable one, and inform DIAC that I want to claim 25 points with that IELTS score.

So right now my application has 115 points, and when I stick the IELTS on, I get 125. And again: this is being done through an agent, who seems to know what he's doing (he has a damn good track record!).

Cheers
Ben
Just wanted to wish everyone whose taking the IELTS this weekend the best of luck.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tiger222
LODGE! LODGE! LODGE! Just wanted to encourage you to elodge the Visa sooner rather then later
LODGED!
Although just after we'd done so, I spotted a mistake on my ACS letter. See my tale of woe on the ACS Acknowledgement Time thread.
Chris.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

LODGED!
Although just after we'd done so, I spotted a mistake on my ACS letter. See my tale of woe on the ACS Acknowledgement Time thread.
Chris.
Yes, I've been replying to you on that link too.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:54 am
Citizen Of The World

Anyone having issues with downloading form 47P (i.e. the police check one) from the online app website? Every time I click on the links I get a message about it (the content) is temporarily unavailable...

I can download all the medical check forms without a problem, it's just the 47P.

Ah... just noticed it looks like you can download a blank 47P from the IMMI website. So the secondary question might be: is there anything critical preprinted on the one that you download after submitting your application?

Cheers
Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.