Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for partner visa but sponsor still in UK

Applying for partner visa but sponsor still in UK

Old Sep 28th 2014, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Alchalmers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for partner visa but sponsor still in UK

Hi there

Can anyone offer some advice. I am applying to move to Australia on a partner visa. My partner is a dual Australian/uk citizen who has been living in uk for most of past 7 years while my daughter was still at home.

We now want to move to Australia together but forms say the sponsor (my partner ) should generally be living in Australia. Will the fact that my partner is not currently living or working in Australia be an issue.

Our ideal is we move out together and find a home/work when we move

Any advice gladly received

PS: I read on another thread that current timescale for applications is about 7-8 months is this still the case. Thanks ray
Old Sep 28th 2014, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of
Default Re: Applying for partner visa but sponsor still in UK

I don't think you have a problem.

My wife was uk/Aus and she lived with me in London for 10+ years. I got a partner visa and we both slung our hook to Aus. Simples.

TD
Old Sep 28th 2014, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds weird. I am a dual national and applied for one for my wife from the UK. I hadn't done any living in Oz for almost 15 years prior.

I think that means that when you are granted the visa your spouse will need to be living in Oz most of the time if you are living there too.

No idea about the timeframe now but I do recall 4 years ago it took a long time. I think about 5 months to process.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 9:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alchalmers
Hi there

Can anyone offer some advice. I am applying to move to Australia on a partner visa. My partner is a dual Australian/uk citizen who has been living in uk for most of past 7 years while my daughter was still at home.

We now want to move to Australia together but forms say the sponsor (my partner ) should generally be living in Australia. Will the fact that my partner is not currently living or working in Australia be an issue.

Our ideal is we move out together and find a home/work when we move

Any advice gladly received

PS: I read on another thread that current timescale for applications is about 7-8 months is this still the case. Thanks ray
Tmeline through London is now 10-14 months I'm afraid for new applicants.

Its nt a problem that your sponsor is in the UK - you just write your statements including the fact that the whole family wish to move together. Many families on here have been in exactly the same position and they all got visas no problem