Applying for Medicare on a bridging visa

Old May 17th 2016, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for Medicare on a bridging visa

Hello!

Just a quick query as I've managed to get myself completely confused. I'm currently on a bridging visa; I came to Australia in October 2015 on a PMV, and we applied last month for the 820/801 Partner visa. My Bridging Visa A is now in effect.

I'm just curious about applying for Medicare, as I want to register with a doctor here (I'm not ill, thankfully!). I'm not sure what I'm entitled to - I know UK citizens are entitled to some reciprocal health care - and despite trying to find out I seem to walk away from my investigations more confused!

So, can I apply for Medicare? If so, do I just fill out the Medicare enrolment form and pop along to my local office with relevant ID? Even if they let me enrol in Medicare, what kind of fees would I have to pay to see a doctor/for any treatment? Will my being on a bridging visa affect any fees?

Any answers greatly appreciated!
Old May 17th 2016, 2:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Medicare on a bridging visa

Originally Posted by Croker
Hello!

Just a quick query as I've managed to get myself completely confused. I'm currently on a bridging visa; I came to Australia in October 2015 on a PMV, and we applied last month for the 820/801 Partner visa. My Bridging Visa A is now in effect.

I'm just curious about applying for Medicare, as I want to register with a doctor here (I'm not ill, thankfully!). I'm not sure what I'm entitled to - I know UK citizens are entitled to some reciprocal health care - and despite trying to find out I seem to walk away from my investigations more confused!

So, can I apply for Medicare? If so, do I just fill out the Medicare enrolment form and pop along to my local office with relevant ID? Even if they let me enrol in Medicare, what kind of fees would I have to pay to see a doctor/for any treatment? Will my being on a bridging visa affect any fees?

You can go to the Medicare office with your passport and enrol there.

You don't register with a gp here, you simply phone up the one you want to see and book an appointment.
Old May 17th 2016, 11:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Croker
Hello!

As you've applied for the Partner Visa then you are entitled to full Medicare, although not all staff will be aware of this and you may have to speak to a supervisor.
Fees depend on whether the doctor you use bulk bills - if not, you have to pay the bill, then claim part back from Medicare. I think I usually pay around $65 and get about $30 back. If you look through the main Aus forum there are lots of threads on the whole medicare/payment thing that explain the system in detail.
Old May 17th 2016, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant advice as always. Thanks very much for your prompt assistance, chaps!