Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Apply for Partner temporary Visa 309 or 820

Apply for Partner temporary Visa 309 or 820

Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Apply for Partner temporary Visa 309 or 820

Hi, wondered if anyone can give me any advice on this situation.

Some possibly useful information.
  • My Fiancée is an Australian Citizen
  • I'm a UK Citizen
  • We both currently live and work in Canada
  • We want to move to Australia in October
  • We have been living together for 1 year in June
  • We got engaged in December
  • I can get a WHP no problem as I'm under 31 and haven't been before.

Would I be best applying for the Partner temporary Visa 309 (Outside of Australia) in June or Partner temporary Visa 820 (In Australia) when we get to Australia in October?

One factor is we will be totally unreachable for 30-40 days due to hiking in the back country around August-September so if they request more information or medical I won't get it until it's possibly to late.

I'm thinking our best bet is to apply for Visa 820 as soon as we get to Australia and enter on a WHP, just wondered if anyone has any advice to suggest differently.

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for Partner temporary Visa 309 or 820

I would apply in June from overseas. An offshore application is quicker and cheaper, although you would need to go offshore for it to be granted, so I guess that offsets the cost somewhat.

I don't think it very likely you will be contacted in Aug - September if you only apply in June, as I understood these visas are taking 9 months. I would in any case, make sure you send as complete an application as you can, with all your evidence that it.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would apply in June from overseas. An offshore application is quicker and cheaper, although you would need to go offshore for it to be granted, so I guess that offsets the cost somewhat.

I don't think it very likely you will be contacted in Aug - September if you only apply in June, as I understood these visas are taking 9 months. I would in any case, make sure you send as complete an application as you can, with all your evidence that it.
Thanks for the reply, I just noticed that the 820 visa page is showing a 12-15 month processing time, last time I looked (last year) I think it was saying around 5 months.

If I get granted a 309 visa while I'm in Australia, can I just take a holiday to New Zealand and activate it on the way back?

One more thing, If I get granted a WHP or a 309 how long do I have to enter Australia to activate the visa? Or does it activate as soon as I'm accepted?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

I emailed the embassy about entering Australia on a WHP while my 309 Partner Visa was being processed.

They said that shouldn't be a problem as long as I'm eligible to get a WHP. She said I would just have to leave Australia in order for a decision to be made on my 309 however.

What does this mean exactly? I'm only guessing on my Canadian experience that they will tell me I've been accepted. Then I must leave and renter the country to get my visa at the border.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
I emailed the embassy about entering Australia on a WHP while my 309 Partner Visa was being processed.

They said that shouldn't be a problem as long as I'm eligible to get a WHP. She said I would just have to leave Australia in order for a decision to be made on my 309 however.

What does this mean exactly? I'm only guessing on my Canadian experience that they will tell me I've been accepted. Then I must leave and renter the country to get my visa at the border.
When the 309 is ready to be granted, they contact you and you arrange to go offshore telling them your dates etc. They grant the visa whilst you are away and then you come back.

It is a WHV by the way.