Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Apply for 457 looking for advice on suburbs & the rest

Apply for 457 looking for advice on suburbs & the rest

Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Mitch21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Apply for 457 looking for advice on suburbs & the rest

Hi

Looking for any advice people can give. My partner has accepted an internal transfer with his work so we are now in process of applying for our 457 visa. We are moving from Scotland to Perth, WA.

My partner is enroute to Perth to do a months work so will be spending his weekends driving around trying to find suitable suburbs. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have seen a lot of nice new build properties for lease in south between Fremantle and rockingham. Not sure if north/south central Perth is best, my partner will be working in CBD. We have young son who will be 2 in May so my priority is to be in an area where I can meet other mums & toddlers.

Also wondering if anyone has advice on timeline for the 457 visa. I've got all my documents scanned ready to go we just have to submit it to his work. Can I check I got our passports, birth certs signed by a Doctor is that ok or does it need to be a solicitor?

Really looking forward to starting our new life in Perth!

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for 457 looking for advice on suburbs & the rest

Originally Posted by Mitch21
Hi

Looking for any advice people can give. My partner has accepted an internal transfer with his work so we are now in process of applying for our 457 visa. We are moving from Scotland to Perth, WA.

My partner is enroute to Perth to do a months work so will be spending his weekends driving around trying to find suitable suburbs. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have seen a lot of nice new build properties for lease in south between Fremantle and rockingham. Not sure if north/south central Perth is best, my partner will be working in CBD. We have young son who will be 2 in May so my priority is to be in an area where I can meet other mums & toddlers.

Also wondering if anyone has advice on timeline for the 457 visa. I've got all my documents scanned ready to go we just have to submit it to his work. Can I check I got our passports, birth certs signed by a Doctor is that ok or does it need to be a solicitor?

Really looking forward to starting our new life in Perth!

Thanks in advance
What visa is your partner on his way over to work on if he doesn't have the 457 yet?

As for the rest, try posting in the general Australian lifestyle forum.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Thank you I will move the rest to new thread.

he is currently out on a 400 visa which is valid for 1 trip, max 3 months but allows him to work
Old Mar 15th 2014, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you want and budget. I have sent you a private message.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks Verystormy but I can't get access to my PM's, it says it won't allow me until I have 3 posts? Sorry I'm new to the site.

Our budget is $400-550 a week and ideally a 4 bedroom with outdoor space
Old Mar 16th 2014, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitch21
Thank you I will move the rest to new thread.

he is currently out on a 400 visa which is valid for 1 trip, max 3 months but allows him to work
I really think you might need to read up on that visa a bit more, it doesn't sound like he is allowed to work to me. It looks more akin to a business trip visa, and specifically states that it is not for ongoing work. So it is not something that could be used whilst waiting for a 457.

I think he should have just waited for visa to be granted tbh. And note this is a temporary visa, for now it is certainly an adventure but talk of "a new life" is maybe premature.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you intending to stay in Australia, if so you need to plan for PR.

If you are happy to move for just a few years then fine but you may decide you want to stay and if so a permanent visa is the way to go.

There are drawbacks with the 457, not least school fees in WA and lack of security if the job fails the just 90 days to leave or apply for another visa.

I think the visa you mentioned is fine for a one off trip, if I remember rightly it allows for trial employment or special projects as long as the work is not ongoing, companies do use this visa to send an employee to OZ for very short term work or for conferences etc.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl

I think the visa you mentioned is fine for a one off trip, if I remember rightly it allows for trial employment or special projects as long as the work is not ongoing, companies do use this visa to send an employee to OZ for very short term work or for conferences etc.
I agree it is ok for special projects, conferences, perhaps just visiting the Australia office of a mutlinational employer. But not sure about trial employment and definitely not sure it is a suitable stop gap whilst waiting for a 457 visa.