Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Anyone need help with a skilled independant?

Anyone need help with a skilled independant?

Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Lyfey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone need help with a skilled independant?

Hi all,

I'm living in Sydney on my 175 Skilled Independent PR. Actually, my second one - I really should get around to applying for citizenship. I also brought over my parents on a Contributory Parent and some colleagues with a SBS and 457 visas.

As the process has changed with Skillselect, I'm looking to buff up my knowledge. I'm looking for someone that wants to come over on a skilled basis in about a year and I'll help them with the process.

To be entirely clear, I'm not an agent, I'm not registered and this is not a paid-for service. If you have a complicated case and aren't clear cut, then I'd advise you speak to a more qualified bod on this forum

PM me and we'll have a chat

Lyfe
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:43 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone need help with a skilled independant?

Originally Posted by Lyfey
Hi all,

I'm living in Sydney on my 175 Skilled Independent PR. Actually, my second one - I really should get around to applying for citizenship. I also brought over my parents on a Contributory Parent and some colleagues with a SBS and 457 visas.

As the process has changed with Skillselect, I'm looking to buff up my knowledge. I'm looking for someone that wants to come over on a skilled basis in about a year and I'll help them with the process.

To be entirely clear, I'm not an agent, I'm not registered and this is not a paid-for service. If you have a complicated case and aren't clear cut, then I'd advise you speak to a more qualified bod on this forum

Lyfe
Hi Lyfe and welcome to BE. Yes, you'd make life much easier for yourself if you got around to that citizenship application!

Regarding your post, although it's kind of you to offer to assist it's much better if people post any and all immigration questions on the site itself, rather than taking conversations offsite.

This is because our collective brain is far more knowledgeable than any single one, and any erroneous or misleading information can be quickly corrected. As you'd be aware of with your two skilled visas, it's an expensive process and really needs to be bang on first time.

You'll undoubtedly be a very useful BE member, hang around and you can not only give other posters the benefit of your experience when they post questions, you'll also learn a lot just by reading the questions and the responses. Cheers.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Ha! I see your point, but you know that renewing a PR takes about 15 minutes online, about $140 or so (if I remember) and you get the visa through your email an hour later... it was so easy when I was short on time.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:54 am
Just Joined

I think I remembered that price wrong. Its $360 now!
Old Nov 28th 2016, 7:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! I see your point, but you know that renewing a PR takes about 15 minutes online, about $140 or so (if I remember) and you get the visa through your email an hour later... it was so easy when I was short on time.
Ah, I see. Your first post reads as though you'd applied for a skilled visa twice, not that you'd renewed your PR. A good example of why posting on the forum is the best way to sort out misunderstandings

ps I'm sure you realize this already, but the 175 has been closed to new applicants for some time now.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:01 am
Just Joined

No, I'm on a 155 now. Just checked my email

Yes, the 175 and the other skilled visas where replaced by the Skillselect and EOI thing. I've just had one of the guys I sponsored swap out his 457 for a 189 Skilled Independent, and that's whats got me wondering about the new process, and my original post.

The 189 does appear to be almost the same as a 175 but with a more streamlined application process - unless you know different?
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot apply to renew your PR. If your travel rights have expired you can apply online to get a RRV.

Hi all,

Lyfe
I'm not trying to dampen your spirts, its a lovely offer, BUT........giving mmigration advice in Australia unless you are a registered agent is illegal.

Chatting about the process on a forum like this is different, we are not advising,we are passing on information, and advising anyone who needs personalised help to engage with an agent. Thats also a reason why BE discourages the passing on of immigration information by PM. if its done in public people can correct mistakes that are made by other lay-people.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the 175 and the other skilled visas where replaced by the Skillselect and EOI thing. I've just had one of the guys I sponsored swap out his 457 for a 189 Skilled Independent, and that's whats got me wondering about the new process, and my original post.

The 189 does appear to be almost the same as a 175 but with a more streamlined application process - unless you know different?
Same process really except now you have to be invited to apply for a visa.

If I recall correctly, to provide visa advice legally you need to be a registered migration agent.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:04 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You are not now on a 155. The 155 gives you travel rights only. Your substantive visa is still the Skilled Independent 175.

You cannot 'swap' a 457 for a 189. If you hold a 457 there is nothing to stop you applying for and getting a 189, but it is a totally different visa and the processes are not connected in any way.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:05 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Same process really except now you have to be invited to apply for a visa.

If I recall correctly, to provide visa advice legally you need to be a registered migration agent.
Within Australia, indeed you do.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You are not now on a 155. The 155 gives you travel rights only. Your substantive visa is still the Skilled Independent 175.
Humm... this might get interesting. My 175 clearly states it expires after 5 years, however, the holder may be permitted to remain indefinitely.

The 155 (from the immi site) allows you to...
Live in Australia as a permanent resident, and
Travel to and from Australia for up to five years from the date the visa is granted
I see what your saying with the substantive visa and I haven't seen a 176 or 475, which are the restricted ones, but if you were sponsored for 5 years, and receive a 155, are you saying that the 176 or 475 restrictions stay in effect? That doesn't sound right based on my previous discussions with immi. I was under the impression holders of a 155 don't have any working restrictions, irrespective of their previous status.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You cannot 'swap' a 457 for a 189. If you hold a 457 there is nothing to stop you applying for and getting a 189, but it is a totally different visa and the processes are not connected in any way.
I think that's a little bit pedantic. Let me rephrase, if you'd like. I sponsored his 457 with my SBS. He left my firm and worked for a second with the same 475. He then independently applied and received his 189 (which renounces? (please don't be upset with the phrasing)) his 457. In other words, he had a 457. Now he has a 189 instead.

I also take on board your comment about agents in Australia. I wasn't planning on doing it for them or charging, but the phrasing of 'advise' is probably key. Maybe this isn't a good idea after all.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Humm... this might get interesting. My 175 clearly states it expires after 5 years, however, the holder may be permitted to remain indefinitely.

I see what your saying with the substantive visa and I haven't seen a 176 or 475, which are the restricted ones, but if you were sponsored for 5 years, and receive a 155, are you saying that the 176 or 475 restrictions stay in effect? That doesn't sound right based on my previous discussions with immi. I was under the impression holders of a 155 don't have any working restrictions, irrespective of their previous status.

I think that's a little bit pedantic. Let me rephrase, if you'd like. I sponsored his 457 with my SBS. He left my firm and worked for a second with the same 475. He then independently applied and received his 189 (which renounces? (please don't be upset with the phrasing)) his 457. In other words, he had a 457. Now he has a 189 instead.

I also take on board your comment about agents in Australia. I wasn't planning on doing it for them or charging, but the phrasing of 'advise' is probably key. Maybe this isn't a good idea after all.
A 475 was a temporary visa - it would not be possible to go from a 475 to a RRV. A 176 is state sponsored, and has no restrictions, but does have the moral obligation to live and work in the sponsoring state for the first 2 years.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
A 475 was a temporary visa - it would not be possible to go from a 475 to a RRV. A 176 is state sponsored, and has no restrictions, but does have the moral obligation to live and work in the sponsoring state for the first 2 years.
I think you may have misread. My 175 'renewed/reapplied/just applied' to 155 RRV. A completely different persons 475 replaced by a 189.

So, the 176 only applied a moral restriction? I was under the impression that 'there could have been some residential conditions that were specified by the relevant state or territory government in your nomination'. But again, as I stated, I haven't seen a 176, so wouldn't know the wording of one.

I think I'm completely in the wrong place.

Thank you all for your contributions and comments
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:50 am

I think you may have misread. My 175 'renewed/reapplied/just applied' to 155 RRV. A completely different persons 475 replaced by a 189.

So, the 176 only applied a moral restriction? I was under the impression that 'there could have been some residential conditions that were specified by the relevant state or territory government in your nomination'. But again, as I stated, I haven't seen a 176, so wouldn't know the wording of one.

I think I'm completely in the wrong place.

Thank you all for your contributions and comments
A 475 and a 457 are two different visas. A 457 is a temporary business sponsored - a 475 was a temporary regional sponsored. A person on a 475 would need to live and work in a designated regional area for two years before being eligible to apply for a permanent visa. The more recent equivalent is a 489.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:13 am
Home and Happy

A 175 does not expire. It gives you the right to live in Australia PERMANENTLY. What expires is the travel rights, which are only valid for 5 years. Thats what the 155 is for, it allows you to travel. Alternatively you get citizenship, if eligible, which would replace both visas.

If you are onshore, oa 175, and never intend to travel abroad you will never need a 155, as your 175 is permanent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.