Any americans go to australia? Compare?

Old Feb 9th 2001, 3:12 am
Robert Nicholson

Anybody here from America , perhaps the Northwest, decide to go and live in
Australia instead?

If so why? If the exchange rate had been 1:1 would have you made this decision?

I'm interested in hearing why folks from the USA would go and live in Australia. In
particular IT workers and how they compare their lifestyles both inside and outside of
work to their experiences in the USA.

Cheers.

Old Feb 10th 2001, 10:33 pm
chioli

I simply came here because my partner is Australian and the type of visa we needed was not
available in the USA. When you really love someone and you want to spend the rest of your
life with that person the exchange rate doesn't mean a thing. I was making four times what
I make here now but I am grateful that this country allows me to see a new day everyday
next to the one I love. I am still however getting used to many things after one year of
arrival. I live in Western Australia coming from Maryland, Washington DC metropolitan area
and over here some things still are as when I was 10 years old. Things like stores closing
at 5:30, shopping late one night a week only. I was also shock by seeing so many people
without shoes in the stores, banks, government offices, etc. Little things that I am
getting used to now. So unless you are in a same situation I guess it would be very
difficult to understand.

greetings!!

Old Feb 10th 2001, 10:58 pm
Zebee Johnstone

In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:33:45 GMT

>I am still however getting used to many things after one year of arrival. I live in
>Western Australia coming from Maryland, Washington DC metropolitan area and over here
>some things still are as when I was 10 years old. Things like stores closing at 5:30,
>shopping late one night a week only. I was also shock by seeing so many people without
>shoes in the stores, banks, government offices, etc. Little things

heh. Petrol sold after hours by rostered stations... Gotta love PErth!

Sydney does more, but not heaps.

Barefoot is normal. I didn't wear shoes unless forced to until I was in paid employment
and they paid me to. Now I work in places where they don't care.

When I worked at Southern Cross Uni in the Northern Rivers (NSW/Qld border) you could tell
the students from the staff cos the staff wore shoes.

Then I worked at UNSW and the staff didn't wear shoes either.

Zebee
- who thinks that kind of thing happens in decently warm climates!

Old Feb 11th 2001, 7:48 am
Cato

G'day, I moved here because I wanted to be close to my then Fiance` - now husband. Of
course, the exchange rate was appalling, but it didn't deter me at all. Hubby and I wanted
to be together, so here I am! Am from California and have been here for almost 3 years. I
certainly am loving every moment living here, especially with my darling husband!

Nothing would change my mind at all. Would still want to be here!

Regards,

Dawn

> Anybody here from America , perhaps the Northwest, decide to go and live in Australia
> instead?
>
> If so why? If the exchange rate had been 1:1 would have you made this
decision?
>
> I'm interested in hearing why folks from the USA would go and live in Australia. In
> particular IT workers and how they compare their lifestyles both inside and outside of
> work to their experiences in the USA.
>
> Cheers.

Old Feb 12th 2001, 6:09 am
Kev

Stores closing so early is going to be a pain to get use to, I normally got grocery
shopping at 1 a.m. . One of my biggest complains when I first moved to Alaska was all the
stores closed at 9 p.m. while the sun didn't set for another 3 hours or so.

The shoes part I can adjust to, I grew up in Hawaii and didn't wear shoes at all until I
was in 6th grade. My parents had me start wear shoes that year because shoes were required
to be worn in 7th grade. In fact I now can't stand to go barefooted.

What other cultural shocks do we have to look forward to?

Kevin Anchorage, Alaska - 4 months until Perth

> I simply came here because my partner is Australian and the type of visa we needed was
> not available in the USA. When you really love someone and you want to spend the rest of
> your life with that person the exchange rate doesn't mean a thing. I was making four
> times what I make here now but I am grateful that this country allows me to see a new
> day everyday next to the one I love. I am still however getting used to many things
> after one year of arrival. I live in Western Australia coming from Maryland, Washington
> DC metropolitan area and over here some things still are as when I was 10 years old.
> Things like stores closing at 5:30, shopping late one night a week only. I was also
> shock by seeing so many people without shoes in the stores, banks, government offices,
> etc. Little things that I am getting used to now. So unless you are in a same situation
> I guess it would be very difficult to understand.
>
> greetings!!

Old Feb 12th 2001, 6:10 am
Kev

Is there such thing as a true full size car over there?

> I simply came here because my partner is Australian and the type of visa we needed was
> not available in the USA. When you really love someone and you want to spend the rest of
> your life with that person the exchange rate doesn't mean a thing. I was making four
> times what I make here now but I am grateful that this country allows me to see a new
> day everyday next to the one I love. I am still however getting used to many things
> after one year of arrival. I live in Western Australia coming from Maryland, Washington
> DC metropolitan area and over here some things still are as when I was 10 years old.
> Things like stores closing at 5:30, shopping late one night a week only. I was also
> shock by seeing so many people without shoes in the stores, banks, government offices,
> etc. Little things that I am getting used to now. So unless you are in a same situation
>
> greetings!!

Old Feb 12th 2001, 7:05 am
Zebee Johnstone

In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:09:06 -0900

>
>What other cultural shocks do we have to look forward to?
>

Beetroot and egg on your hamburger.

Full strength beer

Wierd telephone and internet charges.

Zebee

Old Feb 12th 2001, 10:05 am
Mark Deayton

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
> In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:09:06 -0900

> >
> >What other cultural shocks do we have to look forward to?
> >
>
> Beetroot and egg on your hamburger.
>
> Full strength beer
>
> Wierd telephone and internet charges.

consults wife .....

* Vegemite
* People bragging about how much they drink
* Paying $4 per US gallon for gasoline
* Driving on the left side of the road
* Poor service in shops
* Not being able to buy a car on Sundays (Adelaide, Brisbane, Hobart)
* Not having to tip the barman
* Cricket
* Women with fringes
* Flicking power/light switches DOWN to turn them on

--
Mark Deayton [email protected] http://i.am/mark.deayton (home page)
http://go.to/'65Mustang (my band) ICQ# 314598

Old Feb 12th 2001, 11:32 am
Helena

> Stores closing so early is going to be a pain to get use to, I normally
got
> grocery shopping at 1 a.m. .

Well, you'll be able to do that in Victoria at least, not sure about other parts of the
country. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, visiting rellies, I was pleasantly
surprised to find their grocery shops are open 24hrs, 7 days/wk, just like they were in
Vancouver. It makes grocery shopping a much more sane experience. In W.A. - no Sunday
shopping except in tourist spots/towns & most nights everything shuts up tight around 6pm.
Forget grocery shopping Saturday afternoons here. The shops look like a cyclone or other
major disaster has been declared - shelves empty, hordes of frantic people desperately
looking for food to buy when there isn't any left, unbelievable queues (line-ups) ... They
keep talking about changing the funny trading hours here. Blah, blah, blah, ... W.A. =
Wait Awhile.

> One of my biggest complains when I first moved to Alaska was all the stores closed at 9
> p.m. while the sun didn't set for another 3 hours or so.

Mmmmm, Daylight Savings Time. Yep, W.A. is waiting awhile for that too. If you want
maximum enjoyment of the sun and outdoors here, they'll tell you you're supposed to wake
up early. Like, 5:00 a.m. or some other disgusting hour. Gorgeous beaches & weather but
can't enjoy them much past 7:00 p.m. The sheep and cows might get upset and the curtains
will fade.

> The shoes part I can adjust to, I grew up in Hawaii and didn't wear shoes
at
> all until I was in 6th grade. My parents had me start wear shoes that
year
> because shoes were required to be worn in 7th grade. In fact I now can't stand to go
> barefooted.

Well, most people view barefoot adults in public places here as bogans - you'd have to
sport a few tattoos and a mullet hairdo to complete the picture. Not very sanitary or safe
anyway. Too many broken bottles around. Maybe in the country or some surfie/beach areas,
ok, but I wouldn't do that in Perth city, or most of the suburbs here. I like going
barefoot at home but not in public. Thongs are the next best thing. btw, "thongs" here are
not kinky underwear - they're those rubber things you wear on your feet (flip-flops).

> What other cultural shocks do we have to look forward to?

Expensive junk food (which is a blessing in disguise I guess) Caesar Salads served with
chopped boiled egg and bacon bits (yech!) Expensive mobile (cell) phone service Mexican
restaurants where they don't even serve you salsa and chips while you wait for your meal!
Can't seem to find black beans either. Great local fruit & veggies (this time of year is
amazing!) Being able to grow your own fruit (like citrus, mango, fig, avocado) Big
insects! Fabulous bird-life (wish they'd eat more of those damn big insects!) Hockey
played on grass. Not sure about Alaska, but here many restaurants are BYO which is a
cost-saving. And no tipping in restaurants. Colourful money like Canada's No Starbucks out
this way yet either but pretty good coffee shops anyway. But still not the same as the
turbo-powered, nuclear-strength coffee Starbucks serves.

> Kevin Anchorage, Alaska - 4 months until Perth

Well, for you, heat. Lots of it. No snow, although many here wish for it (silly people!).
We do have an indoor ice-rink but on hot days it still gets a bit slushy.

Good luck,

Helena

>

> > I simply came here because my partner is Australian and the type of visa we needed was
> > not available in the USA. When you really love someone and you want to spend the rest
> > of your life with that person the exchange rate doesn't mean a thing. I was making
> > four times what I make here now but I am grateful that this country allows me to see a
> > new day everyday next to the one I love. I am still however getting used to many
> > things after one year of arrival. I live in Western Australia coming from Maryland,
> > Washington DC metropolitan area and over here some things still are as when I was 10
> > years old. Things like stores closing at 5:30, shopping late one night a week only. I
> > was also shock by seeing so many people without shoes in the stores, banks, government
> > offices, etc. Little things that I am getting used to now. So unless you are in a same
> > situation I guess it would be very difficult to understand.
> >
> > greetings!!
> >
> >

Old Feb 12th 2001, 12:48 pm
Robert Nicholson

All circumstances are not the same. Was your partner and yourself immediately elligible fo
rwork? In my case I have to support my "wife" through school of some kind before she'll be
qualified for an english speaking job.

[email protected] writes:

>
> greetings!!

Old Feb 12th 2001, 12:57 pm
Robert Nicholson

Another thing. I'm a PR in the US and could be a citizen in 4 years...

As an IT worker I hav eto look at the long term potential of staying in the US.

However, if I apply for US citizenship I give up my Australian citizenship and close that
door later. That said, my general feeling is that economically speaking if I can work 6
months to a year and then go to Australia that money can go a long way. Of course I also
want to be with the one I love but in my case there's a thint called (Thai sin-sot) that
clouds my thinking a little bit. OR at least prevents me from making decisions based soley
on emotion.

Old Feb 24th 2001, 6:22 pm
Dustin

A full size car? Look around! Check online bulletin boards and car shopper websites. I've
seen some pretty nice full size cars. In fact, as a typical "red blooded American" I was
ecstatic to see 1966-1969 Mustangs, Camaros, and even a really sweet Barracuda! But, alas,
the fetching prices...

> Is there such thing as a true full size car over there?
>

> > I simply came here because my partner is Australian and the type of visa we needed was
> > not available in the USA. When you really love someone and you want to spend the rest
> > of your life with that person the exchange rate doesn't mean a thing. I was making
> > four times what I make here now but I am grateful that this country allows me to see a
> > new day everyday next to the one I love. I am still however getting used to many
> > things after one year of arrival. I live in Western Australia coming from Maryland,
> > Washington DC metropolitan area and over here some things still are as when I was 10
> > years old. Things like stores closing at 5:30, shopping late one night a week only. I
> > was also shock by seeing so many people without shoes in the stores, banks, government
> > offices, etc. Little things that I am getting used to now. So unless you are in a same
> > situation I guess it would be very difficult to understand.
> >
> > greetings!!
> >
> >