Agent fee.

Old Feb 13th 2017, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

LucasJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Agent fee.

Hi, I have just spoken to agent tonight and wanted to get an idea of fees others have been quoted. The visa we will be applying for is 189 skilled independent.
We were quoted $4000 + GST, for the agent to handle the whole process from
start to finish. is this about right?
Application fees are on top of this.
Thinking about handling it ourselves but after a rejection some years ago a little apprehensive.

Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2017, 9:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agent fee.

Originally Posted by LucasJ
Hi, I have just spoken to agent tonight and wanted to get an idea of fees others have been quoted. The visa we will be applying for is 189 skilled independent.
We were quoted $4000 + GST, for the agent to handle the whole process from
start to finish. is this about right?
Application fees are on top of this.
Thinking about handling it ourselves but after a rejection some years ago a little apprehensive.

Thanks
Firstly, is the agent MARA registered, if not you are just wasting money.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 9:46 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Fees can vary depending on the complexity of the case. This is no different from any other skilled consultancy service. A Lawyer doesn't work for free either.

Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean better. An unscrupulous, unregistered 'agent' would be more than happy to charge you half the fee that a Registered Agent would, and would then proceed to do no work, or at best a botched case.

The first thing you should do is ask the agent for their MARA number to check this under the list of MARA Agents on the MARA website. They should have a registration number and you can check this.

If they don't have one then....

Last edited by Richard_Gregan; Feb 14th 2017 at 9:49 am.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies.
Firstly the agent is registered.
Secondly I don't think there will be any complications.
Both of us are from the UK, on the points calculator we score 65, my wife will be the lead application under child care centre manager.
She has over 8 years experience & a degree. No medical issues and a 100% clear police check.
The skillselect ceiling for this role is 1000 and they have given only 15 invitations out.
So I am just trying to find out if this fee is about right or not?
Or should we go it alone!
Thanks again
Old Feb 14th 2017, 10:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucasJ
Thank you for the replies.
Firstly the agent is registered.
Secondly I don't think there will be any complications.
Both of us are from the UK, on the points calculator we score 65, my wife will be the lead application under child care centre manager.
She has over 8 years experience & a degree. No medical issues and a 100% clear police check.
The skillselect ceiling for this role is 1000 and they have given only 15 invitations out.
So I am just trying to find out if this fee is about right or not?
Or should we go it alone!
Thanks again
Only you can decide but if it were me I'd go it alone. It's all fairly straightforward as long as you remember to answer every question truthfully, be anal about reading everything twice and making sure you understand before answering/supplying information. Even if you used an Agent, you would still have to do all this, they are really just there to make sure you've done it correctly (simplistic but that's what it boils down to). The only time I would use an agent was if I had a complicated medical/criminal case or felt my application was likely to be turned down. They still can't guarantee success even then.

Don't forget there is an absolute wealth of knowledge on here, any problems you just have to shout. Good luck with it.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Maybe we will do it ourselves, seems like the agent will not be doing much for al the $$$.
We have had an initial consultation with an agent, plus all the reading on here and it appears we have a high chance of getting accepted.
We do have one issue and that is one of the companies my wife worked for will not give references direct to the employee, only to business. we explained that it was not for a job but for our visa application. To which they replied its company policy we can can only give a reference to agents or businesses. SO ANNOYING as this would be part of her proof of 8 years work experience.
Do you know if there a way around not having a direct reference from a company?
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:25 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this is exactly the kind of issue an agent would advise on, but anyway.

You would be looking at a statutory declaration.

Last edited by Richard_Gregan; Feb 15th 2017 at 1:28 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Richard
Thank you for your input.
Your name has cropped up on another forum..
Well it turns out things are not looking so rosy after all.
We are in the dilemma if a NNEB is sufficient or if indeed you need a degree, as my wife studied her degree at the OU part time, meaning she did not qualify with the degree until 2015. So we are counting qualified experience from the NNEB (2000), this did get a positive TRA assessment back in 2008. But looking at other forums someone with the same qualification had it assed by ACEQA which said it was a level 3...
There is a possible crossover between the governing body which made this drop from a diploma to level 3.
Yet other have stated they got a diploma and this is ok.
The headache continues...
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:45 pm

According to the TRA website, Child Care Centre Manager is an AQF Diploma level qualification at time of writing.

This would equate to an HNC/HND in the UK.

Regards,

Richard
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Richard,
I think we are having 2 conversations on 2 different forums
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:52 pm

I think you're right. I thought I recognised the name :-)