Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

AFP Check for Partner visa (820) - queries and observations

AFP Check for Partner visa (820) - queries and observations

Old Feb 6th 2017, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute
Default AFP Check for Partner visa (820) - queries and observations

Howdy all.
I’ve just received an email requesting further informationin connection with my 820 visa application. The letter (from the Temporary Partner Processing Centre – Victoria, no less; guess that the backlog has called for some desperate measures, eh?) directs me to an attached checklist, asking for me to provide Character Requirement – Australian Federal Police (AFP)clearance National Police check.
This is the only thing they’re asking for. The letter does say that I must respond within 28 days, and that I should provide a response in writing to the sender using the contact details at the bottom of the letter.So, questions:
1. The waiting time for an AFP check to be conducted is apparently 15 working days. Obviously I intend to order it online, straightaway, so I should have it back within 28 days. Should I email a written response saying that I’ve ordered the check (possibly quoting the reference number) as a kind of ‘holding response’ until I receive the check itself?
2. When the check result is received, is it just to be uploaded as normal to my ImmiAccount, or should it be emailed to the letter's sender? Or best to upload it to ImmiAccount, and then email a letter to the sender saying “I’ve uploaded it to ImmiAccount”?
3. Given that all they have asked for is the results of anAFP check, is it looking positive for my chances of being granted the visa? I've been uploading documents from time to time, obviously (financial statements,and such like – the usual evidence really), but if all they’re asking for isthe AFP check, is it a case of “this guy’s a grant if he’s not a crim?” Which I'm not, by the way :haha:
I appreciate that all these questions may seem easily answered, but I’m just trying to be very careful as the last I’d heard the waiting time for the initial (temporary) Partner visa was sitting at 15-19 months. I applied in April 2016 so I wasn’t expecting a response as yet. I certainly wasn’t expecting a message from the Temporary Partner Processing Centre – Victoria, at any rate! :haha:
Interestingly – as an aside – the first line of the letter says “The following information is required to process your application for a Partnet (Temporary) (class UK) Partner (subclass 820) visa”. Obviously, that's my emphasis in bold, but it would seem to me, given that I’m from the UK, that they may be prioritising applications from perceived “low-risk” countries such as the UK, and using agency or non-DIBP staff to do so at this Temporary Partner Processing Centre. Anyone else encountered this?

Last edited by Croker; Feb 7th 2017 at 12:00 am.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Croker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond reputeCroker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AFP Check for Partner visa (820) - queries and observations

Also, apologies for not posting this in the immigration section, I'm posting from work and it seemed to default to the Australia section, despite me trying to post under immigration.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Croker

I've moved your thread to the immi section.

I would probably email the sender to say the police check has been ordered, just in case there are any delays, and then upload to immi account when received.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 1:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Croker
I’ve just received an email requesting further informationin connection with my 820 visa application. The letter (from the Temporary Partner Processing Centre – Victoria, no less; guess that the backlog has called for some desperate measures, eh?) directs me to an attached checklist, asking for me to provide Character Requirement – Australian Federal Police (AFP)clearance National Police check.This is the only thing they’re asking for. The letter does say that I must respond within 28 days, and that I should provide a response in writing to the sender using the contact details at the bottom of the letter.So, questions
1. The waiting time for an AFP check to be conducted is apparently 15 working days. Obviously I intend to order it online, straightaway, so I should have it back within 28 days. Should I email a written response saying that I’ve ordered the check (possibly quoting the reference number) as a kind of ‘holding response’ until I receive the check itself?
2. When the check result is received, is it just to be uploaded as normal to my ImmiAccount, or should it be emailed to the letter's sender? Or best to upload it to ImmiAccount, and then email a letter to the sender saying “I’ve uploaded it to ImmiAccount”?
3. Given that all they have asked for is the results of anAFP check, is it looking positive for my chances of being granted the visa? I've been uploading documents from time to time, obviously (financial statements,and such like – the usual evidence really), but if all they’re asking for isthe AFP check, is it a case of “this guy’s a grant if he’s not a crim?” Which I'm not, by the way :haha:
I appreciate that all these questions may seem easily answered, but I’m just trying to be very careful as the last I’d heard the waiting time for the initial (temporary) Partner visa was sitting at 15-19 months. I applied in April 2016 so I wasn’t expecting a response as yet. I certainly wasn’t expecting a message from the Temporary Partner Processing Centre – Victoria, at any rate! :haha:
Interestingly – as an aside – the first line of the letter says “The following information is required to process your application for a Partnet (Temporary) (class UK) Partner (subclass 820) visa”. Obviously, that's my emphasis in bold, but it would seem to me, given that I’m from the UK, that they may be prioritising applications from perceived “low-risk” countries such as the UK, and using agency or non-DIBP staff to do so at this Temporary Partner Processing Centre. Anyone else encountered this?
The backlog for partner visas is so big you are lucky it hasn't been outsourced to the Philippines or somewhere like that! They are being sent to wherever there is someone able to process them - its all still DIBP staff, just a question of too many backlogged applications, with the 12-18 month timeline and they need to get the backlog down to a more manageable timeline again.

The AFP are usually pretty quick, email back with the response that you have ordered it online, then when it comes through colour scan it, upload it to your Immiaccount and email the CO again just to be safe!
Don't assume its a grant just cos thats the only thing they ask for. Trust me its not a grant till its in your hand (though I think personally you should be ok)
Old Feb 7th 2017, 7:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

'Class UK' doesn't refer solely to British applicants, it's merely a coincidence.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
'Class UK' doesn't refer solely to British applicants, it's merely a coincidence.
So much for my sleuthing, then! I don't recall seeing it in the context of my visa application before, though, so that's why I started speculating. Wrongly, as it turns out.

Anyway, I've just submitted my AFP check online - will email DIBP back in a bit to say I've sent off the for the certificate and give them the reference number, just in case.

Given that I've only been in Australia since October 2015, I don't need another overseas police check, do I? I did one as part of my PMV application, and they've only asked for an AFP check today.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered an AFP check on line a few weeks ago and it arrived in four days. Pretty quick turn around I reckon
Old Feb 7th 2017, 1:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You've missed a great Liverpool winter - sleet, hail, driving rain and fog horns on the Mersey

Good luck with the visa
Old Feb 14th 2017, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You've missed a great Liverpool winter - sleet, hail, driving rain and fog horns on the Mersey

Good luck with the visa
Hahahaha. Oh dear

Thanks very much for your kind wishes.

I actually received my AFP certificate in the post today! So that took a total of 7 days, including the weekend, to get to me (and I applied on the evening of 7th February).

One final query - my certificate is marked as follows:

"Complete Disclosure
All recorded offences released
Name Check Only"

at the top of the sheet, and then goes on to add

"...there are no disclosable court outcomes recorded against the name of..."

I'm assuming this is the direct equivalent of the UK police's "No Trace" result?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:15 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahaha. Oh dear

Thanks very much for your kind wishes.

I actually received my AFP certificate in the post today! So that took a total of 7 days, including the weekend, to get to me (and I applied on the evening of 7th February).

One final query - my certificate is marked as follows:

"Complete Disclosure
All recorded offences released
Name Check Only"

at the top of the sheet, and then goes on to add

"...there are no disclosable court outcomes recorded against the name of..."

I'm assuming this is the direct equivalent of the UK police's "No Trace" result?
yep
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but thought people might like an update. Having taken the opportunity to add some more documents to my ImmiAccount, I finally uploaded my AFP Clearance Certificate around 1:15am this morning, and clicked the button to say that I'd added the information requested.

Then, about 9:20am this morning, I got an email to say that my Partner (Temporary) visa had been granted!

Thanks all, as always, for your help and advice!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Great news x
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:57 am
Home and Happy

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but thought people might like an update. Having taken the opportunity to add some more documents to my ImmiAccount, I finally uploaded my AFP Clearance Certificate around 1:15am this morning, and clicked the button to say that I'd added the information requested.

Then, about 9:20am this morning, I got an email to say that my Partner (Temporary) visa had been granted!

Congratulations
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 6:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear, congratulations! Scousers always seem to do well in Australia, your sense of humour goes down well Cheers to your new life