Advice on visas and costs

Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:50 am
Just Joined

DavidFenn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on visas and costs

Hello,

My wife and I are looking at moving to Australia this year and have started looking at the visas and the process for applying, however I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help us with.

My wife qualifies through Skillselect and has a qualification and experience of a pre-primary teacher, which is on the state nomination list of occupations for all states.

I've looked at the visas 189 (independent skilled) and 190 (nominated skilled) Apart from the obvious, what is the difference between these two visas, as they appear to cost the same ($3000) if anything you need to have guaranteed funds $30,000+ for nominated, which isn't stipulated on the independent visa.

I can't see any real benefit for a young couple like us to do the 190 as it ties us to work in a particular state for 2 years, we have to have guaranteed funds and it costs the same as the 189.

Am I wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on visas and costs

Some occupations are not on the SOL but are only on the CSOL which means that sponsorship is required. Additionally some people require the extra points that state sponsorship brings.

If you have enough points and are on the SOL then you can cut out the seeking state sponsorship step and go straight for the 189 if you like.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks, that's what I thought. So if we qualify through Skill Select independently there's no real benefit applying for state sponsorship?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:50 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

If you lodge an Expression of Interest for a subclass 190 you are likely to obtain an invitation to lodge a visa application from DIAC as soon as the State sponsorship is confirmed.

If you lodge an EoI for a subclass 189 visa you have no idea when or whether you will be invited to apply for a visa.

Added to which you need no more than 60 points on a subclass 190 => the risks of overclaiming are higher on a 189 EoI, because there is an inherent bias in favour of optimising your points position. And an overclaim on the EoI means your visa application will be refused (or you will be asked to withdraw the application) when the DIAC case officer identifies the existence of the overclaim: the migration legislation compels the case officer to refuse the application ... with no recovery of the Visa Application Charge that is paid when the visa invitation is accepted.

=> This is a risk management exercise, in my view, and a 190 visa strategy is the lower risk option.

Best regards.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this. However the $30,000 requirement would be an issue as we don't want to sell our house in UK, we'd rather rent it. So the independent skilled visa would be our best option I feel. My wife easily qualifies through the point system and we aren't in any massive rush, obviously the sooner the better but we'd be happy to wait a little while.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:35 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidFenn
Thanks for this. However the $30,000 requirement would be an issue as we don't want to sell our house in UK, we'd rather rent it. So the independent skilled visa would be our best option I feel. My wife easily qualifies through the point system and we aren't in any massive rush, obviously the sooner the better but we'd be happy to wait a little while.
Hi David,

I understand that the $30K is quite a bit of money, but you would be best to try and get somewhere near that to cover yourselves for the costs of the move and when you first arrive. I'm not sure of the rules regarding teaching but if you don't have a job on arrival, you will need that money to cover the first few months.

Anyway - good luck with the application
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:54 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again David.

... we'd be happy to wait a little while.

Please recognise that under a subclass 189 pathway you might never be offered an invitation to apply for a visa.

Best regards.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

blueblackstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you still need the $30k if you have a job offer? We too hadn't planned on selling our house...but will if absolutely have to..
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blueblackstar
Do you still need the $30k if you have a job offer? We too hadn't planned on selling our house...but will if absolutely have to..
Obviously if you have a job offer it puts you in a more secure position. If you are on a 190 visa, you are supposed to have that sort of money behind you, but for other visas I don't believe it's necessary.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Myhusband and I have read through the booklet on the Australian immigration site and can't find a stipulation anywhere that says you need a set amount of money in the bank in order to apply. Where is this info from? Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:00 pm

Myhusband and I have read through the booklet on the Australian immigration site and can't find a stipulation anywhere that says you need a set amount of money in the bank in order to apply. Where is this info from? Thanks
Hi Blueblackstar

Its part of the state sponsorship visa - all states want to know that you can support yourselves, and they specify the level of finances you need to show to gain sponsorship. Each state sets its own level - just checking Victoria (http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...pplicantsTable) and as a couple you would actually need to show $35K. If you are applying for state sponsorship, you will need to check the requirements of the specific state.

If you are not applying for state sponsorship, then it is still a good idea to have a similar level of funds, but I don't think it's necessary.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

We are interested in WA, on their site it states:

All successful applicants are required to:

commit to living and working in Western Australia for two years upon arrival; and
bring sufficient funds (for at least 3 months) into the State to cover settlement costs.

But we can't find a specific amount anywhere. I wonder whether we can apply and, once granted a visa, sell our house? Can we prove assets?

Does anyone know whether there is a time limit to move once granted a visa?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:16 pm

We are interested in WA, on their site it states:

All successful applicants are required to:

commit to living and working in Western Australia for two years upon arrival; and
bring sufficient funds (for at least 3 months) into the State to cover settlement costs.

But we can't find a specific amount anywhere. I wonder whether we can apply and, once granted a visa, sell our house? Can we prove assets?

Does anyone know whether there is a time limit to move once granted a visa?
Had a quick look at the WA site and couldn't find a figure, but it does say you need to provide evidence at the time of application. I'm not sure if showing equity in a property would be sufficient, but you could get away with a much lower figure possibly, maybe $12-15K (or £8 -10K). It may be worth you having a chat with a MARA registered agent who can probably clarify this
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Had a quick look at the WA site and couldn't find a figure, but it does say you need to provide evidence at the time of application. I'm not sure if showing equity in a property would be sufficient, but you could get away with a much lower figure possibly, maybe $12-15K (or £8 -10K). It may be worth you having a chat with a MARA registered agent who can probably clarify this
I've got a friend goin through the final stages of a State Sponsored 475 for WA and they have to provide proof of $25,000 for the initial applicant + $5,000 for each additional applicant.

For timelines to move - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've got a friend goin through the final stages of a State Sponsored 475 for WA and they have to provide proof of $25,000 for the initial applicant + $5,000 for each additional applicant.

For timelines to move - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Validation-Australia
Thanks Polly - I couldn't see it and we're going to SA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.