Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

ACS Skills Assessment - Academic Transcripts - Help Needed

ACS Skills Assessment - Academic Transcripts - Help Needed

Old May 19th 2016, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

BumbleB is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ACS Skills Assessment - Academic Transcripts - Help Needed

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting all my documents prepared to submit an ACS skill assessment to the ACS. I have reviewed their guidelines and would really appreciate some clarification relating to my case.

I have a Bachelor of science and Master of science, both attained in the UK, both IT related. My masters Diploma supplement states that the access requirements for the course are “an Honours degree or other qualification equivalent to a first or second-class Honours degree from a UK university.”
The ACS application guidelines state that for “A post graduate qualification (Graduate Diploma, Masters or Doctoral qualification) that requires at least a Bachelor qualification with a major in ICT for entry into the course, must have ICT content of at least 33%, all of which must be at post graduate level.”

For my Master’s degree: I have the academic transcript (including modules and grades).
For my Bachelor degree: I have the Diploma supplement stating the title of the degree, name of institution, completion date and the actual degree certificate awarded.

My question is: Do I *need* to attach my academic transcript for my undergraduate Bachelor degree? The reason I ask is that some of my grades are not good and I have even failed some specific modules. I still passed enough modules to be awarded the degree, but I wonder if my ‘failed’ modules would be taken into consideration when making an assessment?

Would it be acceptable to omit the transcript (only for my undergraduate degree) and just include my post-graduate transcript grades along with the Diploma supplement stating the access requirement to the course (a Bachelor degree)? I would still include the degree award, just not the specific grades.

Really hope someone can help advise!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by BumbleB; May 19th 2016 at 4:21 pm.
Old May 20th 2016, 4:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS Skills Assessment - Academic Transcripts - Help Needed

Originally Posted by BumbleB
Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting all my documents prepared to submit an ACS skill assessment to the ACS. I have reviewed their guidelines and would really appreciate some clarification relating to my case.

I have a Bachelor of science and Master of science, both attained in the UK, both IT related. My masters Diploma supplement states that the access requirements for the course are “an Honours degree or other qualification equivalent to a first or second-class Honours degree from a UK university.”
The ACS application guidelines state that for “A post graduate qualification (Graduate Diploma, Masters or Doctoral qualification) that requires at least a Bachelor qualification with a major in ICT for entry into the course, must have ICT content of at least 33%, all of which must be at post graduate level.”

For my Master’s degree: I have the academic transcript (including modules and grades).
For my Bachelor degree: I have the Diploma supplement stating the title of the degree, name of institution, completion date and the actual degree certificate awarded.

My question is: Do I *need* to attach my academic transcript for my undergraduate Bachelor degree? The reason I ask is that some of my grades are not good and I have even failed some specific modules. I still passed enough modules to be awarded the degree, but I wonder if my ‘failed’ modules would be taken into consideration when making an assessment?

Would it be acceptable to omit the transcript (only for my undergraduate degree) and just include my post-graduate transcript grades along with the Diploma supplement stating the access requirement to the course (a Bachelor degree)? I would still include the degree award, just not the specific grades.

Really hope someone can help advise!

Thanks in advance
Hi there and welcome

Not sure why you would not want to include the first degree as ACS assessment requires a combination of qualification and experience so the sooner you are qualified, the sooner you will be deemed skilled, and as only skilled experience counts for points I would have thought you would be looking for early qualification.
Old May 20th 2016, 5:01 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't think they could care less about your grades - a pass is a pass, you have the qualification = qualified.

As the student's I occasionally lecture say 'Ps get degrees'!

Best of luck!
Old May 20th 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Post Re: ACS Skills Assessment - Academic Transcripts - Help Needed

Thanks for the welcome

I too would have thought the same. I know a degree is a degree - but I was unsure about how they would assess having failed modules show up on a transcript or if there was a minimum grade requirement for a degree to be assessed as suitable.

I'll submit everything I have and hope that they focus on my good grades when assessing my case

I'll be sure to let you guys know how I get on in case anyone else has a similar question during their application.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 31st 2016, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

As an update, I received a positive skills assessment on the 6th of June - it took ACS 2 weeks to process and complete.

I have since sat my IELTS exam and scored 8's & 9's so I'm able to claim 20 migration points for my English.

I submit my EOI for the 189 skilled migration visa, under the 261112 Systems Analyst occupation. I have a total of 75 migration points.

I'd like to ask for some advice on what the next steps are. Should I be preparing character references and looking into getting health examinations? I've looked on the .gov website and the wording is a bit ambigious. Would anyone be able to advise what standard examinations are required? Just to reiterate, I'm from the UK, age <32.

Many thanks!
Old Aug 1st 2016, 2:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BumbleB
Hi everyone,

As an update, I received a positive skills assessment on the 6th of June - it took ACS 2 weeks to process and complete.

I have since sat my IELTS exam and scored 8's & 9's so I'm able to claim 20 migration points for my English.

I submit my EOI for the 189 skilled migration visa, under the 261112 Systems Analyst occupation. I have a total of 75 migration points.

I'd like to ask for some advice on what the next steps are. Should I be preparing character references and looking into getting health examinations? I've looked on the .gov website and the wording is a bit ambigious. Would anyone be able to advise what standard examinations are required? Just to reiterate, I'm from the UK, age <32.

Many thanks!
You should be able to find a document checklist on the DIBP site for if you receive an invite. The character requirement is your police checks that need to be supplied for all countries you have lived in. UK would be an ACRO but the links should be on the site.

Health checks have to be arranged with specific clinics. There is a health questionnaire, general medical, chest xray, HIV test, etc - all straight forward but again there should be more info on DIBP site (and on the clinics site when you locate one).

The advice always used to be to wait until asked to provide police and medical checks as the first entry date will be one year from the earliest of these usually. As visa grants are not taking so long, quite a few people are now front loading these (obtaining before invite and lodging with other documents)

ETA - oh and congrats on the ACS and IELTS results

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 1st 2016 at 2:50 am.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Sparkles
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

I submit my EOI on the 30th July (over the weekend) and today, Tuesday received my invitation! I was really not expecting them to take 1-2 days to send out an invitation!

From what I'm reading I have 60days from today to lodge my VISA application and pay the fees. I read some threads talking about receiving an immi.gov.au link. I received a SkillSelect login link instead. I am able to access SkillSelect and my status is now showing as 'Invited'.

Is this the same thing? Or is there another step I need to take to create an 'immi' account?

One more question: when I click on 'Apply Now' - am I able to save my application multiple times and submit at a later date (within the 60day window)? Or is it a case of once you hit Apply, you need to submit and pay?

Thanks again for all the help everyone