ACS Important Question

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

---Halifax--- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS Important Question

Hello

Can anybody tell me if the ACS by default call your current employer? My husband assured me that he will loose his job on the spot if they call his employer from Australia and want to verify the info on the employer reference.

This is obviously always a sensitive case but in ours it is very serious. I am sure that it is also very unlikely that the ACS will accept an application when you refuse to provide the contact details of your current employer. My husband cannot afford to loose his job now and we have to go to Australia. A catch 24 situation. Any advice please?
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS Important Question

Originally posted by Annelie
Hello

Can anybody tell me if the ACS by default call your current employer? My husband assured me that he will loose his job on the spot if they call his employer from Australia and want to verify the info on the employer reference.

This is obviously always a sensitive case but in ours it is very serious. I am sure that it is also very unlikely that the ACS will accept an application when you refuse to provide the contact details of your current employer. My husband cannot afford to loose his job now and we have to go to Australia. A catch 24 situation. Any advice please?
Can he get 'someone else' in the company to give his reference? I read a thread on here recently about a guy who had asked his HR Manager to be referee because he was more understanding than the line manager.
I'm one of the lucky ones. My boss has been absolutely fantastic and I hope the ACS call him because he'll paint a glowing picture. Mind you, makes me wonder if he's trying to tell me something.......
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I know for a fact that they did not contact my current employer.

However, they could do if they chose to.

How is hubby going to provide the ACS with a reference from his current employer without them knowing?????
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:39 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Billabong
I know for a fact that they did not contact my current employer.

However, they could do if they chose to.

How is hubby going to provide the ACS with a reference from his current employer without them knowing?????
The ACS didn't contact my current employer (as I just got my positive assessment 5 days ago) but then again they probably knew the pass mark was going up to 120 and thought they'd be wasting their time, effort and money on the phonecall
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 10:08 pm
Michael Hoffman

Annelie <member19032@british_expats.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
    > Hello
    >
    > Can anybody tell me if the ACS by default call your current
    > employer? My husband assured me that he will loose his job on the spot
    > if they call his employer from Australia and want to verify the info on
    > the employer reference.

That might not be bad: ACS normally calls HR, who are ethically and (in the
US) legally obliged to keep quiet.

So, if he gets fired he can sue for wrongful termination and get a nice
settlement. There's your home down payment in Oz

I can tell you though that the ACS didn't contact a single HR department or
other reference that I listed.

Mike

--
Am I the only one who's noticed that the discovery of the accelerating
expansion of the universe coincides with the discovery that more than half
of email, and rising, is now spam?

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:38 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going down the ACS RPL route too, and can confirm that you don't have to get your HR department to give you references. You can get colleagues to write you up a reference instead. My agent advises me that this is perfectly acceptable, and always has been.

So I'd suggest getting your husband to look at that possibility instead.

Hope that helps

Marko

[
    > Can anybody tell me if the ACS by default call your current
    > employer? My husband assured me that he will loose his job on the spot
Old Apr 4th 2004, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

I was away for a while.
Thanks everyone for the gr8 advise! My husband will ask two of his colleagues and perhaps his manager for references.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:14 pm
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Hello

Hi

I went through the path of ACS RPL, I got a letter from a colleague as well as my employer . They didn't contact my company. but it can vary for each. I got positive assessment.

Get reference for one the colleague that would be fine. I think

Cheers
Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Aramis is an unknown quantity at this point

Contacting your employer by ACS seems to be rather random.

It might not happen, but then again, it might not happen at all.

If he´s in fear to loose his job, he could say that (i´ve heard this a few times) he´s applying for an on-line course with an Australian university and that the ACS might need to check his employment references to be able to enroll.

you might want to try that one...
Old Apr 6th 2004, 3:08 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Nope they did not contact my employer
Old Apr 6th 2004, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all,

just out of interest: Does the DIMIA contact your current employer?
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:42 am
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Thanks all,

just out of interest: Does the DIMIA contact your current employer?
I heard quite often they do. they are different in comparision to ACS
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

holdingon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Can anybody tell me if the ACS by default call your current employer?
ACS didn't call any of my employers. DIMA might call the employers before giving the 10 points for relevant experience.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:14 pm
Wannabee Queenslander

Originally posted by holdingon
ACS didn't call any of my employers. DIMA might call the employers before giving the 10 points for relevant experience.
Yup

I think so too that's the reason DIMIA states clearly that on the reference document to provide the email, telephone number as well as the position of the person signing the document.

Cheers
Old Apr 16th 2004, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

holdingon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

The chances of DIMA calling is more.

It would be risky to assume they will not call. So to be on the safer side, get a reference letter from a project lead or a senior colleague who can be trusted.