Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

ACCA qualification and 189 VISA advice required

ACCA qualification and 189 VISA advice required

Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

_Rosie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACCA qualification and 189 VISA advice required

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. My sister is moving to Australia with her family in the next few months and I've been considering joining them. I've been looking at the various visa options on offer and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm 30 years old and I've worked as a Management Accountant in the Health Service for the past 6 years. At the moment I'm an ACCA Affiliate, I'm in the process of completing my log book and hope to be a full member of ACCA within the next few months.

I've been considering the Skilled Migrant 189 visa. I understand in order to apply for this you must get a skills assessment carried out. Does anyone know if ACCA is fully recognised or are there any additional courses required in order to pass the assessment? I received exemptions from the first 3 papers due to my degree however I have sat the rest of the F papers along with P1-3 and P4 and P7. I also have a first class honours degree in Financial Economics. I'm not sure if that would help in any way in terms of the skills assessment or increasing my points for getting a visa awarded.

I want to maximise my chances of getting a visa granted, if anyone could provide any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2015, 3:32 am
Just Joined

ElizabethFitzpatrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACCA qualification and 189 VISA advice required

Hi Rosie

You will only be able to claim for your first class honours degree in Financial Economics, I'm afraid. This is because the points system only allows counting of one degree. The points awarded is 15.

So if, for the sake of argument, you had a PhD in Financial Economics and a Masters degree in Accounting, the only one that would get counted is the PhD at 20 points. The Masters degree would not get counted.

See Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) under Qualifications
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA qualification and 189 VISA advice required

Originally Posted by ElizabethFitzpatrick
Hi Rosie

You will only be able to claim for your first class honours degree in Financial Economics, I'm afraid. This is because the points system only allows counting of one degree. The points awarded is 15.

So if, for the sake of argument, you had a PhD in Financial Economics and a Masters degree in Accounting, the only one that would get counted is the PhD at 20 points. The Masters degree would not get counted.

See Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) under Qualifications
Please remove the website link and company name from your 'location', you can't advertise a website like that, thanks.

It would also be helpful if you'd put your details in your signature, we ask all registered agents/lawyers to do the same so that it's clear where the advice is coming from, and although you're only a trainee I think it would be helpful if you could too so that people know you are training.

Thanks.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 27th 2015 at 8:46 am.