50 years old

Old Nov 18th 2016, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future
Default 50 years old

Can anyone tell me whether there are any migration agents with experience of helping people over 50 emigrate to Australia ?
I believe the skilled independent visa is one that is out of bounds once age 50 is reached but I believe the employer sponsored route is an option.
I was of the impression that once 50 that was it but I've read one article where someone using thinkingaustralia.com succeeded but if never heard of them .
Many thanks
David
Old Nov 18th 2016, 11:21 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 50 years old

Originally Posted by Chipster
Can anyone tell me whether there are any migration agents with experience of helping people over 50 emigrate to Australia ?
I believe the skilled independent visa is one that is out of bounds once age 50 is reached but I believe the employer sponsored route is an option.
I was of the impression that once 50 that was it but I've read one article where someone using thinkingaustralia.com succeeded but if never heard of them .
Many thanks
David
We have an engineer at work who's over 50 and moved over on a 457 which I think is the only option but not 100%. To move from that to a PR visa (186 employer sponsored), you need to be with the employer for the full 4 years on 457 (temporary employer sponsored) and earning at or above the high earnings threshold I think.

Looking at 186 age exemptions - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186- - other exemptions would be listed under visa applicants/who could get this visa

Edit - current fair work high income threshold is $138,900
Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It is as mentioned possible in theory.

However, getting sponsorship for a 457 is not easy. Then you would need to be aware of the issues with the 457. Most importantly it is a temporary visa with no automatic path to permanent residence for anyone regardless of age.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
We have an engineer at work who's over 50 and moved over on a 457 which I think is the only option but not 100%. To move from that to a PR visa (186 employer sponsored), you need to be with the employer for the full 4 years on 457 (temporary employer sponsored) and earning at or above the high earnings threshold I think.

Looking at 186 age exemptions - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186- - other exemptions would be listed under visa applicants/who could get this visa

Edit - current fair work high income threshold is $138,900
Thanks. Looks like I have a fair amount of reading up to do.
I assume if someone manages to then move to a PR visa after the four years then they effectively start again i.e. needing another four years to get citizenship?
Old Nov 19th 2016, 11:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Looks like I have a fair amount of reading up to do.
I assume if someone manages to then move to a PR visa after the four years then they effectively start again i.e. needing another four years to get citizenship?
Nope - you need 4 years in Australia, one of which needs to be as PR
Old Nov 19th 2016, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
It is as mentioned possible in theory.

However, getting sponsorship for a 457 is not easy. Then you would need to be aware of the issues with the 457. Most importantly it is a temporary visa with no automatic path to permanent residence for anyone regardless of age.
Ok so quite a bit of uncertainty to live with even if granted a 457.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Nope - you need 4 years in Australia, one of which needs to be as PR
Thank you
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so quite a bit of uncertainty to live with even if granted a 457.
A 457 is a very uncertain visa with a number of issues. First, it is tied to the employer, so lose your job for any reason you would have 60 days to find another willing and able to sponsor or leave the country (not every company can sponsor).

There are some issues if you bring a family. Such as some states charge 457 children for education. Partners of 457 can have issues finding work.

In your case there are risks in regards legislation change. For example, the income threshold can dramatically increase. Or even the pathway cancelled. Not impossible given there has been a recommendation to tighten visa eligibility including moving the age limit to 40 or 45.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
A 457 is a very uncertain visa with a number of issues. First, it is tied to the employer, so lose your job for any reason you would have 60 days to find another willing and able to sponsor or leave the country (not every company can sponsor).

There are some issues if you bring a family. Such as some states charge 457 children for education. Partners of 457 can have issues finding work.

In your case there are risks in regards legislation change. For example, the income threshold can dramatically increase. Or even the pathway cancelled. Not impossible given there has been a recommendation to tighten visa eligibility including moving the age limit to 40 or 45.
Thanks for the information.