Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

5 points for Investment Bond withdrawn Sept 07?? (PART TWO)

5 points for Investment Bond withdrawn Sept 07?? (PART TWO)

Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

sankan1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 5 points for Investement Bond withdrawn Sept 07??

Originally Posted by Gazzap
I know you are trying to organise the people over there in Au, but please keep the rest of us 'in the loop' as to how you progress?
Cheers
Gaz
I am not alone, this forum has right to know what's happening. I assured you, progress will be posted minutes after every update I receive.

Last edited by sankan1; Aug 5th 2008 at 11:24 am.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tom_VI is on a distinguished road

Tuesday 5 August 2008

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, departs for South-East Asia tonight to discuss regional cooperation on border security and anti people-smuggling initiatives with his counterparts in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore.

There goes a strong effort into keeping illegal immigrants out of the country - if one follows the official announcements during the last weeks and months.

I wish the minister's office would put in similar effort to resolve the bond issue soon!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

Anyone in Singapore/Malaysia lol??????!!! Just kidding!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joannec2014
Anyone in Singapore/Malaysia lol??????!!! Just kidding!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Elton John is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Country wise breakup??

As per the petition list, the signatories are residents of the following countries:

UK 400
Australia 134 ( it might include international students from various countries)
Germany 41
USA 33
China 23
Sweden 21
South Africa 15
Ireland 9
France 8
Canada 7
Malaysia 6
Singapore 5
England 4
Taiwan, Italy and HongKong 3
Norway 2
and
1 from the following countries:
Afghanistan, Vietnam, Tunisia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Spain, Serbia, Saudi Arabia, Phillipines, Oman, New Zealand, Netherlands, Japan, India, Egypt, Denmark, British Virgin Islands, Belize, Belgium, Bangladesh and Austria.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

kenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nice

There are no regrets for meeting GEORGE LOMBARD in his office today. Although no direct statement had been concluded, I felt “much clear” after his enthusiastic help. Also, I will have to say thank you for the small CHINESE GROUP who has contributed major amount of money for the consultation.

Now let’s get this straight. I browsed the forum last night and mainly selected some questions which are suggested by the posters and the viewers. George has patiently replied to my questions one by one by typing into word document format during the appointment and it is described in the following post.

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 6th 2008 at 8:17 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

kenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nicekenwen20 is just really nice

GEORGE’S ANSWERS

1) Should we organize some victims (roughly 100) to lodge complaint against DIAC through ombudsman? Will we irritate DIAC by sending too many petitions?

A.“No point making any further complaints to the Ombudsman or the Minister.This is very clearly a political issue, the Department has made it clear that it has no further responsibility until the Minister makes up his mind. The only way to punish the Minister is through the electoral process once you are a citizen.”

2) We strongly suggest having story of all of us in one email acc. So we can print out hard copies to Minister Chris Evans.

A.“There is no shortage of stories already – the common themes are: sale of assets to have the statutory deposit ready (ie financial loss); impossibility of finding employment when not a PR holder (depends on the industry, some people are ok); altered position at home and cannot now go back to initial situation (both overseas and in Australia, eg cannot continue studies to obtain sufficient points under new system); age barriers etc. What would be best is to draw from the newpaper accounts and use that to pressure the Minister. No point writing more material as he won’t read it.”

3) If it’s going to be a refusal then what about the costs incurred in good faith by application fee, migration agents, mice cost like courier, photograph?

A.“I don’t think it is going to be a refusal except for those who may be subject to criminal investigations however if these applications are in fact refused there cannot be a refund – the government never made any undertaking about the statutory deposit scheme being available. The core group, because by definition everyone has A$100k,is not likely to get enormous public sympathy.”

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 6th 2008 at 8:19 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

4) Opposition spokesman for immigration is Senator Chris Ellison. Will it be offensive to send him petition against to Chris Evans.

A.“I don’t know what the opposition spokespeople would think. I am only suggesting a delegation to the Minister.”

5) Should we write to the state & territories to appeal to them that they give us a chance to invest?

A.“States and Territories apparently hated the system for a long time. WA withdrew in June last year before the scam came to light. Apparently the mechanisms for taking this size of deposit are cumbersome, they would rather get deposits of A$500k minimum and not with these controls – the prospect now of litigation means that they absolutely do not want to be involved. They won’t answer your letters.”

6) This situation wasn’t of Senator Evans making either; the state treasuries withdrew the bonds. It’s probably a cabinet level decision.

A.“Senator Evans has a very simple political pathway open for resolving this, he can just blame it all on the previous government. But the ongoing delay and failure to give public information is now becoming a political problem for him and I do not know how he can save face now.”

7) How Migration ACT 1958 actually affect our situation?

A.“The Migration Act allows for visas to be granted where people fit the criteria. At the moment none of the affected group fit the criteria for the grant of a visa, therefore the Minister needs to change the rules. Simplest mechanism for changing the criteria is for the pass mark for this visa to be reduced by 5 points for a short period, during which every affected applicant could be assessed as being eligible for the visa. This would require a Cabinet decision but no special legislation.”

8) Can we push DIAC to release a timeframe?

A.“Timeframe – who knows? We have had event horizons relating to the Budget, the end of the Financial Year, possibly now the repayment of the very last statutory deposits. It is not clear why the timing is as it is.”

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 6th 2008 at 8:24 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

9) Which party is the best way to approach and give some pressure?
1. DIAC
2. Minister Chris Evans
3. Minister Kevin Rudd
4. Opposition Party Senator
5. Ombudsman
6. Federal MP
7. Parlimentary Representatives
8. Pressure on all parties.
9. Cabinet

A.“Best focus for pressure is the Minister.”

10) Can we “bargain” with DIAC that if we had 6 months related skilled
working experience after the date of application lodged and claim 5
additional points?

A.“No flexibility in bargaining because the legislation would require massive amendments. Only possibility is if the Department allows an alternative statutory deposit, eg Commonwealth bonds, possibly you could negotiate aspects of that.”

11) How to properly establish a Delegation?
i) How many people
ii) If George would be happy to lead us (delegation), how much?
iii) Do we need regional representative?
iv) Who do we address to be more effective?

A.“You must choose the delegation. I think no more than 4 people and it should be representative, ie at least one onshore student and one offshore applicant, at least one person from the UK (biggest sector). Hard to identify what suitable professional costs should be. More likely that you should pay a lobbyist rather than a migration agent. I would just charge according to the work put in, but I’m not sure you would find someone to pay me.”

12) From your point of view, has DIAC put our issue as the first priority to resolve?

A.“This is a very low priority for DIAC (as the Minister is expected to make a decision) but having said that, there is considerable sympathy in the Department and ASPC for individuals who are affected. We have had two applicants make second applications and approved in a couple of weeks from beginning to end. Unfortunately most overseas students have finished studying so are not eligible for a second application, unless they have 12 months of work experience.”

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 6th 2008 at 8:23 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

13)Where does Chris Evans’ office mainly locate? Canberra, Adelaide?

A. “The Minister’s main office is in Canberra and he also has an office in Perth.”

14) For those who directly caused the bond scheme fraud. When will their cases be sentenced?

A. We assume that it takes about one year or two years (Not direct quote but he meant that during the conversation.)

15) Many of onshore applicants have got periodical bank statements to show their $100,000 has been saved into the local banks for up to 12 months. Does it help?

A. The fact that you have the money isn’t very significant. Most of the offshore applicants are selling homes to pay for this.

In short, George said it would be always our choice to estalish the delegation to minister’s office. Hopefully and optimistically, our capital investment issued can be raised up as the top priority to be resolved after our delegation approached. In addition, we can also try to bring up the suggestion that changing criteria for the pass mark (please read Q7 for details) to the table and wait for their approval.

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 6th 2008 at 8:27 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

And after collecting all these information by using up all my day-off from work, I am very tired and I will not reply you in either email or PM at the moment. My front line work has been done here (while others might be observing and relying on other contributor and volunteers' effort) .

For the forums' greatful posters: You guys might have to follow up and think about how to identify the delegation team and I will be more than happy to provide info if I know some in the future. Cheers.

Last edited by kenwen20; Aug 6th 2008 at 8:48 am.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kenwen20
And after collecting all these information by using up all my day-off from work, I am very tired and I will not reply you in either email or PM at the moment. My front line work has been done here (while others might be observing and relying on other contributor and volunteers' effort) .

For the forums' greatful posters: You guys might have to follow up and think about how to identify the delegation team and I will be more than happy to provide info if I know some in the future. Cheers.
Round of applause needed here I think - thats an excellent job on behalf of the others and thanks to those who invested money as well as time
Full marks to Mr Lombard too for his work on this Clear comments and ansers, and a lot of myths laid to rest.

Lets hope there is a resolution to be gained in the near future.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

lyse will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much Kenwen for all of your efforts and to the onshore applicants who contributed towards George's fee a big thank you.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

sankan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent work Ken Wen... really appreciable.
Many Many thanks to those who has paid for it.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

mcts is on a distinguished road

Hi ,
Thanks a lot to all the guys who put there time effort and money for giving a rather more clear view on the situation .

I have a Question ..................

"Unfortunately most overseas students have finished studying so are not eligible for a second application, unless they have 12 months of work experience.”

This is the quote that i have got from one of the answers of george .

I have been working for nearly 12 months in the field of .net programming after lodging my PR . Am i eligible for a second application ????

please reply , Ur help will be highly appreciated ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.