Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

485 rule changes and completing course early

485 rule changes and completing course early

Old Jun 18th 2015, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

fiftyeight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 485 rule changes and completing course early

My question is about the 485 temporary graduate visa.

I have a dilemma right now and I hoped someone could help me.
Basically I am scheduled to complete my course in June 2016 (Bachelor Degree.) By the time I have my final results and could apply fot a 485 visa I would assume it would be after July (my student visa is valid until September 2016.)
However, I am aware that there will changes to immigration rules in July 2016. So basically, by the time I apply for the visa, I am worried that the rules will change and I will not fulfill the requirements anymore.

My thought was then to complete my course earlier. I could complete my course around February 2016 by doing extra units during summer. My dilemma is whether to do this, because AFAIK if I finish my course early there could be problems as well, e.g my student visa might be cancelled and I am not sure what effects this will have on my 485 application.

I am just hoping you could give me some advice on whether it would be smart to complete my course early or not. If the changes to immigration rules are advertised well in advance (say in the next 4 months) I might be able to delay the decision and see first if the changes affect my eligibility.

Hopefully you could give me your point of view.

Thank you very much!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 3:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 485 rule changes and completing course early

Originally Posted by fiftyeight
My question is about the 485 temporary graduate visa.

I have a dilemma right now and I hoped someone could help me.
Basically I am scheduled to complete my course in June 2016 (Bachelor Degree.) By the time I have my final results and could apply fot a 485 visa I would assume it would be after July (my student visa is valid until September 2016.)
However, I am aware that there will changes to immigration rules in July 2016. So basically, by the time I apply for the visa, I am worried that the rules will change and I will not fulfill the requirements anymore.

My thought was then to complete my course earlier. I could complete my course around February 2016 by doing extra units during summer. My dilemma is whether to do this, because AFAIK if I finish my course early there could be problems as well, e.g my student visa might be cancelled and I am not sure what effects this will have on my 485 application.

I am just hoping you could give me some advice on whether it would be smart to complete my course early or not. If the changes to immigration rules are advertised well in advance (say in the next 4 months) I might be able to delay the decision and see first if the changes affect my eligibility.

Hopefully you could give me your point of view.

Thank you very much!
The 2015-16 rules are on the new website http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi
No one is going to be able to give you more up to date info than that
Old Jul 6th 2015, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

fiftyeight is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the answer. Are the rules always changed once a year on 1st of July? so the rues reflected there are valid until July 1st 2016?

Cheers
Old Jul 6th 2015, 12:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiftyeight
Thank you for the answer. Are the rules always changed once a year on 1st of July? so the rues reflected there are valid until July 1st 2016?

Cheers
The rules can be updated at any point, though July 1st is the beginning of the visa year. They may even be the same as last year but my point in posting the link is that those are the up-to-date rules, use that link rather than any other older one.