British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   461 to permanent residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/461-permanent-residency-745125/)

rosun Jan 16th 2012 6:12 am

461 to permanent residency

Hello, I just joined this forum and right away I have a question :) ...

I am living with my wife (NZ citizen) in Australia on 461 visa, after changing from student visa. My 461 is about to expire, I understand I can renew this, however I also completed my postgraduate degree in accounting, and seeing there may be a chance to apply directly for PR.

How would I go about this ?
Which form would be relevant ?
I travel on EU passport, if that is of any help.
My sister is PR, who could possibly sponsor me. I would prefer actually other options if there are such.

In the wiki I was able to find pathways to PR including
"after a suitable 2 year full time course of study, one of the special skilled visas for eligible Australian graduates"

Thank you in advance

rosun

Bermudashorts Jan 16th 2012 9:26 am

Re: 461 to permanent residency

I cannot see that your sister or EU passport would be of much assistance.

Sometimes post grad students apply for the 885 visa, however it seems to require people to have been on one of the student visas first.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...migration/885/

So otherwise you are probably looknig at skilled migration, do you have work experience as an accountant? If not are you likely to get it in the next few years? If so perhaps you renew the visa you are on whilst you work towards that.

rosun Jan 16th 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks Bermudashorts for quick respond.

So it seems my options would be points tests only in both or all cases. Which one would be my best option ?, you seem to be in familiar territory here..
If I am eligible, would it be possible to get all paperwork done within a month? If not or it is too risky I would then extend my current visa and
start working on the next step. The sooner the better as I need the PR to be able to sponsor my parents.

I do have some local work experience as an accountant. Partially at my current workplace, and second unpaid work, previously did my own accounts when working on my own.

thank you
rosun

Bermudashorts Jan 16th 2012 6:55 pm

You are almost certainly going to have to renew the 461. You would not be able to organise a skilled migrant visa in a month even if you do qualify for it and from what you have said it doesn't seem like you do.

You need to read about skilled migrant visas, you need to pass a points test, skills assessment and have at least 12 months of paid, full time work experience.

JAJ Jan 17th 2012 2:20 am

I would recommend a consultation with a good migration agent on the general skilled migration options in this situation to ensure that opportunities are not missed.

And even if there is no option for PR now, it would be useful to plan for it in the future, especially through employer sponsorship. Recommended to get skill assessment done and probably to progress through the CA or CPA Program.

In the meantime, the 461 absolutely has to be renewed. And a new application must be made before existing 461 expires.

rosun Jan 17th 2012 6:15 am

Thanks to both of you.

I just picked up my new passport today and plan to renew my visa this week. Is the skill assessment issued with validity period or is it one of in relation to the particular qualification?

Would the six months period since finishing degree play any role in my circumstances? We plan to travel with my wife and I wonder if it is good idea to apply before leaving (in case the period helps in visa assessment, and there is no problem leaving the country before decision is made), or apply after we get back to sydney?

regards

rosun

JAJ Jan 17th 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by rosun (Post 9847202)
Thanks to both of you.

I just picked up my new passport today and plan to renew my visa this week. Is the skill assessment issued with validity period or is it one of in relation to the particular qualification?

Would the six months period since finishing degree play any role in my circumstances? We plan to travel with my wife and I wonder if it is good idea to apply before leaving (in case the period helps in visa assessment, and there is no problem leaving the country before decision is made), or apply after we get back to sydney?

These are all excellent questions to discuss with a good agent.

Bear in mind that if you want to travel anywhere before your 461 is renewed, you need a Bridging Visa B for which you have to make a separate application.

rosun Jan 18th 2012 4:38 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 9847666)
Bear in mind that if you want to travel anywhere before your 461 is renewed, you need a Bridging Visa B for which you have to make a separate application.

Thanks, I actually do NOT plan to leave before my 461 is renewed.

rosun

jimmyoz2010 Jan 29th 2012 2:53 am

rosun,

This story might be of interest

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=10781856

apparently there is a good chance of a new route to PR for NZ citizens.

rosun Feb 7th 2012 2:58 am

Originally Posted by jimmyoz2010 (Post 9870953)
rosun,

This story might be of interest

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=10781856

apparently there is a good chance of a new route to PR for NZ citizens.

thanks for that jimmyoz2010, will watch for new decisions coming effective

rosun

jimmyoz2010 Feb 7th 2012 3:15 am

Originally Posted by rosun (Post 9887913)
thanks for that jimmyoz2010, will watch for new decisions coming effective

rosun

No worries... Good luck with PR application I would not wait to see if this option becomes available though if you are eligible for any other visa.

Jim

froggy123 Mar 6th 2012 9:42 am

Help please.

Does anyone know if subclass 175 can possibly be the pathway to PR while I live in Aus under subclass 461? The immi website (location section) has not been very clear about this ..

"You may be in Australia at the time you apply for a subclass 175 visa unless you have either condition 8503 or 8535, or another condition on your current visa that prevents you from making a further application to remain in Australia.

Unless you are an eligible New Zealand citizen, you and any secondary applicants included in your application, must be outside Australia at the time that a decision is made on your application."

In our case I am the main applicant and my wife (NZ Citizen) is the secondary.

Bermudashorts Mar 6th 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by froggy123 (Post 9938432)
Help please.

Does anyone know if subclass 175 can possibly be the pathway to PR while I live in Aus under subclass 461? The immi website (location section) has not been very clear about this ..

"You may be in Australia at the time you apply for a subclass 175 visa unless you have either condition 8503 or 8535, or another condition on your current visa that prevents you from making a further application to remain in Australia.

Unless you are an eligible New Zealand citizen, you and any secondary applicants included in your application, must be outside Australia at the time that a decision is made on your application."

In our case I am the main applicant and my wife (NZ Citizen) is the secondary.

It isn't "pathway", the 75 application has nothing to do with the 461 visa, they simply are not related.

Beyond that I am not sure I understand your question? Do you have that condition on your visa? Is your OH an eligible NZ citizen? What are you trying to clarify specifcally?

froggy123 Mar 6th 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks Bermudashorts.

I am currently holding 461 and seeking to apply for permanent residency after I arrive in australia. The only condition on my 461 visa is medicare.

In essence I just want to find out under what category I should apply for to get the permanent residency while I am in Aus?

I meet the pass mark for skilled migrant under subclass 175 but I am not sure if I can apply under this category while I am in Australia as 175 is primarily for overseas applicant (exception for NZer).

Bermudashorts Mar 6th 2012 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by froggy123 (Post 9939206)
Thanks Bermudashorts.

I am currently holding 461 and seeking to apply for permanent residency after I arrive in australia. The only condition on my 461 visa is medicare.

In essence I just want to find out under what category I should apply for to get the permanent residency while I am in Aus?

I meet the pass mark for skilled migrant under subclass 175 but I am not sure if I can apply under this category while I am in Australia as 175 is primarily for overseas applicant (exception for NZer).

You don't apply for "permanent residency". You apply for a visa and some are permanent and some are not. The 175 visa is a good visa option if you qualify as it is a permanent visa. There are no restrictions on NZers applying for this visa and you are not a NZer anyway are you? You can apply for it onshore, plenty do, you just have to make a border run when it is time for the visa to be granted. Hope that helps.