Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Hi there new to all this lots of good reading but what to do!! LOL

Hi there new to all this lots of good reading but what to do!! LOL

Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:21 am
Just Joined

confused.com.au is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi there new to all this lots of good reading but what to do!! LOL

Hi Guys currently on hol in the Goldcoast QLD, and about to go back to Perth WA for 2 weeks before going home..

So here looking at things in more detail

Wife and I are thinking about moving from the UK to Oz.. we have two boys 4 and 6 months. Plus my wife is an Ozy Perth girl anyway.

My first visit to Oz was some 7 years ago and I though no thanks.. it was Perth.. Too hot, too built up.. eg your neighbour cough and you would hear them!! from your bedroom.. no green just desert. liked it but not enough to move.. Then I came back to get married here in Perth and went to Sydney for a 1 week break LOVED IT.... East coast is much better and more what I expected Oz to be.. Now we are back again and currently liking Robina QLD but really liking more in the moutains. More house for the buck, space, cooler, greener much better all round..

OK so what about work?

I run a curtain and blind company in the UK I wouldn't miss it if I stopped and packed it all in.. Joe Public is getting too much take take take in the UK off the record. Any service lead company like my self are best selling stack it high sell it cheap and offer no service.. so No I wouldn't miss letting my company go..

But my back ground is Mechanical fitter , I worked for the waterboard for 14 years before I started my own company doing some thing different. All my paper work is City and Guilds and my aprentership plus I did a load of extra night school GCSE's and ONC in Electrical/Electronic engineering. Plus some NVQ's I hear that Oz does not understand C&G's? GREAT !! 12 years of learning!

So we have thought about if we come out we would give it at least 2 years..

I am not looking to sell any of our houses in the UK as some are rentals. I would just rent out our main house. As we would look to rent here for the 2 years. Or buy a doo'er uper..

What would you guys recomend or any input for what we have listed out there...anythings helps..

at a later date if we liked the 2 years and it was for us I would like to bring some of my classic cars over from the UK, can't afford to bring them all but at least 2 of them.. if not 3. and if any one has a used secondhand cristal ball to look into hence the user name
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:00 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi there new to all this lots of good reading but what to do!! LOL

Originally Posted by confused.com.au
Hi Guys currently on hol in the Goldcoast QLD, and about to go back to Perth WA for 2 weeks before going home..

Wife and I are thinking about moving from the UK to Oz.. we have two boys 4 and 6 months. Plus my wife is an Ozy Perth girl anyway.

My first visit to Oz was some 7 years ago and I though no thanks.. it was Perth.. Too hot, too built up.. eg your neighbour cough and you would hear them!! from your bedroom.. no green just desert. liked it but not enough to move.. Then I came back to get married here in Perth and went to Sydney for a 1 week break LOVED IT.... East coast is much better and more what I expected Oz to be.. Now we are back again and currently liking Robina QLD but really liking more in the moutains. More house for the buck, space, cooler, greener much better all round..

OK so what about work?

I run a curtain and blind company in the UK I wouldn't miss it if I stopped and packed it all in.. Joe Public is getting too much take take take in the UK off the record. Any service lead company like my self are best selling stack it high sell it cheap and offer no service.. so No I wouldn't miss letting my company go..

But my back ground is Mechanical fitter , I worked for the waterboard for 14 years before I started my own company doing some thing different. All my paper work is City and Guilds and my aprentership plus I did a load of extra night school GCSE's and ONC in Electrical/Electronic engineering. Plus some NVQ's I hear that Oz does not understand C&G's? GREAT !! 12 years of learning!

I am not looking to sell any of our houses in the UK as some are rentals. I would just rent out our main house. As we would look to rent here for the 2 years. Or buy a doo'er uper..

What would you guys recomend or any input for what we have listed out there...anythings helps..

at a later date if we liked the 2 years and it was for us I would like to bring some of my classic cars over from the UK, can't afford to bring them all but at least 2 of them.. if not 3. and if any one has a used secondhand cristal ball to look into hence the user name
Welcome to the forum! If your wife is Australian, why doesn't she just sponsor you for a spouse visa? Might be easier than the rigmarole that is GSM! As for taking your cars, it's been a long time since I looked at that information. We decided against it, but ours isn't a classic. You'd need to get an import approval to bring it/them in. Have a read of this website. It'll hopefully have the information you need. If not, hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will be along soon to help! Good luck!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:23 pm
Sun-seeker

Location: Currently in Cardiff, UK, but Brisbane-bound in September 2013!
Rljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Hi there new to all this lots of good reading but what to do!! LOL

OK so what about work?

Hiya, I'm an oz citizen and will be sponsoring my fiancé for a visa. There is some great info on the australian immi website and the guys on here are so helpful. If she is sponsoring you, it is a non points based system, so you won't need to worry about it. It's a lot of form filling and digging out documents but the emphasis is on proving that you are genuine and in a continuing relationship. There's lots of info on here, good luck!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Welcome to the forum! If your wife is Australian, why doesn't she just sponsor you for a spouse visa? Might be easier than the rigmarole that is GSM! As for taking your cars, it's been a long time since I looked at that information. We decided against it, but ours isn't a classic. You'd need to get an import approval to bring it/them in. Have a read of this website. It'll hopefully have the information you need. If not, hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will be along soon to help! Good luck!
I agree. With kids, if you have been married for 2 years you would get PR straight away on a Spouse Visa. Much easier and much cheaper than skills migration.
Have a read of http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books1.htm

Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

confused.com.au is an unknown quantity at this point

GREAT responces guys thanks......

I love that bit made me and the wife laugh.. to show we are in a relationship that is continous.. 2 kids and 4 years married LOL.. been togeather 7 years.. and more important I let her drive my pride and joy.. well only under strict supervision.

My mate from Jersey ( channel Islands ) just imported his classic ( same as mine ) last year and even put down the cost it cost him.. which is far less than it's worth but the form said how much did you pay for it when you bought it.. so that would $2000 for me from the USA. He was $8000 USA and then he paid GSM tax on $8000 not it's $35,000 currently valued at but the form said and it's only worth this if you wanted to sell it and he and I both wouldn't want to sell them till petrol run out and we were both old and grey LOL..... but yeah we have a collection at home of 7 classics so i can't afford to bring them all.. if we came. I can get an old Merc from here anyway ( oz ) seen anumber about I would just sell my one and buy one here..

Great news on the sponcer part... wife is sorting out renewing her Oz passport now as we speak as she never changed it when we got married at the time.. So while here we are getting it sorted and she is going to ask more questions when we go to collect the new one at Brissy passport office here in Oz.. also if we can get passports for the boys 4 year old and 6month old.. as they were not born in Oz but mother is Oz born.

I will now reply to an advert for water workers in Logan and see what they say.. I am not too worried about working in the mines for a while to get a foot holding in Oz. My side line company at home is renovation of repo homes and flats. I would like to look to do the same in here.. I understand you can't do your own plumbing work and sparky work.. but having seen the plumbing work done on the wifes house here in Oz, it's c%^& had to take it apart and redo it now it does not leak! for get the name of the guy but big company that drives around perth with a big plastic tap on the top of his van! $400 total rip off...

I am not sure what electrical is needed but I have 16th edition and just sitting to do 17th and a full house bashing course to top up qualifications. not sure if they transfer to Ozy or not but no harm in doing more skills. Even on our house projects I do all the work as I am not part P and get my mate in to do the full test to get a cert. I wouldn't mind but I taught him when he first started but he does it full time and I don't ...

ok some more reading for me to do tonight then thanks..
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:40 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

GREAT responces guys thanks......

I love that bit made me and the wife laugh.. to show we are in a relationship that is continous.. 2 kids and 4 years married LOL.. been togeather 7 years.. and more important I let her drive my pride and joy.. well only under strict supervision.

My mate from Jersey ( channel Islands ) just imported his classic ( same as mine ) last year and even put down the cost it cost him.. which is far less than it's worth but the form said how much did you pay for it when you bought it.. so that would $2000 for me from the USA. He was $8000 USA and then he paid GSM tax on $8000 not it's $35,000 currently valued at but the form said and it's only worth this if you wanted to sell it and he and I both wouldn't want to sell them till petrol run out and we were both old and grey LOL..... but yeah we have a collection at home of 7 classics so i can't afford to bring them all.. if we came. I can get an old Merc from here anyway ( oz ) seen anumber about I would just sell my one and buy one here..

Great news on the sponcer part... wife is sorting out renewing her Oz passport now as we speak as she never changed it when we got married at the time.. So while here we are getting it sorted and she is going to ask more questions when we go to collect the new one at Brissy passport office here in Oz.. also if we can get passports for the boys 4 year old and 6month old.. as they were not born in Oz but mother is Oz born.

I will now reply to an advert for water workers in Logan and see what they say.. I am not too worried about working in the mines for a while to get a foot holding in Oz. My side line company at home is renovation of repo homes and flats. I would like to look to do the same in here.. I understand you can't do your own plumbing work and sparky work.. but having seen the plumbing work done on the wifes house here in Oz, it's c%^& had to take it apart and redo it now it does not leak! for get the name of the guy but big company that drives around perth with a big plastic tap on the top of his van! $400 total rip off...

I am not sure what electrical is needed but I have 16th edition and just sitting to do 17th and a full house bashing course to top up qualifications. not sure if they transfer to Ozy or not but no harm in doing more skills. Even on our house projects I do all the work as I am not part P and get my mate in to do the full test to get a cert. I wouldn't mind but I taught him when he first started but he does it full time and I don't ...

ok some more reading for me to do tonight then thanks..
No problem. Good luck with your application!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:24 am
Sun-seeker

Location: Currently in Cardiff, UK, but Brisbane-bound in September 2013!
Rljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really niceRljacobs is just really nice

I know it does seem funny but they're only looking at bits of paper I suppose. Sounds like you should have no problems then!