Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

457 Visa - Employer Sponsored, advice needed

457 Visa - Employer Sponsored, advice needed

Old Feb 26th 2014, 9:48 am
Just Joined

tomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to behold
Default 457 Visa - Employer Sponsored, advice needed

Hi There,

I may have found an employer who maybe willing to sponsor me as a 'video producer' in Melbourne.
They have a few concerns about their responsibility as an employer with the visa, so are looking into it in a bit more depth :s
I am just really hopeful that they decide that it is all ok.

I have been recommended to get a 457 visa first, by migration agents, as it is quicker. Then apply for a permanent visa once out there. I was wondering whether this is standard practice, and if so, what is required once I am out there to make the visa permanent. My only concern with this is that I am 30 now, so don't want to wait until I get less points when I am a little older.

Do employer sponsored 457 visas and 186 or 187 visas take longer to get or are more difficult to get, and from peoples experiences, what is the best option to try and go for... if the employer actually does want to offer me a job that is?

I will be going with my wife and 2 year old son.

Also... I have tried to get a few quotes from migration agents, to try and get the best deal, and still waiting on a few of them, and people on this forum have recommended a couple which has been great. But does anyone know whether True Blue www.truebluemigration.com and Sure Migration www.suremigration.com are reputable companies that people have used before?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Visa - Employer Sponsored, advice needed

Originally Posted by tomdeane
Hi There,

I may have found an employer who maybe willing to sponsor me as a 'video producer' in Melbourne.
They have a few concerns about their responsibility as an employer with the visa, so are looking into it in a bit more depth :s

I have been recommended to get a 457 visa first, by migration agents, as it is quicker. Then apply for a permanent visa once out there. I was wondering whether this is standard practice, and if so, what is required once I am out there to make the visa permanent. My only concern with this is that I am 30 now, so don't want to wait until I get less points when I am a little older.

Do employer sponsored 457 visas and 186 or 187 visas take longer to get or are more difficult to get, and from peoples experiences, what is the best option to try and go for... if the employer actually does want to offer me a job that is?

Also... I have tried to get a few quotes from migration agents, to try and get the best deal, and still waiting on a few of them, and people on this forum have recommended a couple which has been great. But does anyone know whether True Blue www.truebluemigration.com and Sure Migration www.suremigration.com are reputable companies that people have used before?

The sponsor meets the costs on a 457 so they will choose the migration agent I think (http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx - under sponsor obligations)

If you are sponsored employer for more than 2 years you will not need to later provide a skills assessment if you are sponsored by that employer for PR. If you work in Australia for 1 year you will gain 5 points on experience, and 10 points if you work 3 years. If you turn 33 you will lose 5 points. A PR visa is obviously a safer option if moving a family but many people make the move that way. In terms of time, the 457 would probably be quicker as for PR you would need the skills assessment.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:16 am
Just Joined

tomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to beholdtomdeane is a splendid one to behold

Great thanks for this info. What is the difference with regards to any entitlements in the country and access to medical services etc with a permanent visa and a 457 visa?

My only worry would be that childcare (and eventually schooling) may be more expensive if I am temporary, or we would need much more expensive healthcare etc. would we be entitled to free schooling out there when he is the right age with either visa?

What are the main differences with entitlements between these two types of visa? Especially with my wife and 2 year old child coming too?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Great thanks for this info. What is the difference with regards to any entitlements in the country and access to medical services etc with a permanent visa and a 457 visa?

My only worry would be that childcare (and eventually schooling) may be more expensive if I am temporary, or we would need much more expensive healthcare etc. would we be entitled to free schooling out there when he is the right age with either visa?

What are the main differences with entitlements between these two types of visa? Especially with my wife and 2 year old child coming too?
I don't know the full ins and outs, but if you had PR you would possibly be able to claim some benefits with childcare costs if you were both working. Schooling is free on PR, but some states charge fees for 457 holders.

Have a look at some older threads - and threads in the main forum. The search button is in the button bars at the top of the page
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:24 am
Just Joined

thanks for the advice
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The important thing to remember is that a 457 is a temporary visa and you should treat it as such.
If you lose your job while on a 457 then you have 90 days to find an alternative sponsor or leave the country.
If you are British passport holders then you will be entitled to healthcare, but you will not be entitled to any benefits such as childcare or tax credits.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Just some comments in red.

Hi There,

I may have found an employer who maybe willing to sponsor me as a 'video producer' in Melbourne. Is this occupation on the CSOL? Not all occupations are eligible for sponsorship

I have been recommended to get a 457 visa first, by migration agents, as it is quicker. Then apply for a permanent visa once out there. I was wondering whether this is standard practice,

Not all migration agents will recommend the best visa for you, particularly if they are appointed by the potential employer. Even if they are appointed by you, they sometimes suggest the quick option over the best one.

I was wondering whether this is standard practice, I wouldn't say it is standard practice to go this way, but it happens

and if so, what is required once I am out there to make the visa permanent.

This visa will never be permanent, it is a temporary visa and it always will be. If you want permanent residency, you would need to explore the permanent visa options.

My only concern with this is that I am 30 now, so don't want to wait until I get less points when I am a little older.

It would be really quite unusual for a 30 year old to miss out on skilled migration because they could not meet the points test because of their age! I would wage a bet that most applicants for skilled migration are over 30. I did the test for myself and I would pass quite easily at 43.

Do employer sponsored 457 visas and 186 or 187 visas take longer to get or are more difficult to get, take longer and more difficult than what? and from peoples experiences, what is the best option to try and go for... if the employer actually does want to offer me a job that is?

It really depends, can you identify what occupation you would be applying under on the SOL or CSOL first of all?

I have heard of them, they wouldn't be my choice.