A 457 query

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:26 am

MojoJojo will become famous soon enoughMojoJojo will become famous soon enough
Default A 457 query

Hi,

Bit of background before my question is asked.

My friend is 47. He came over here nearly 3 years ago on a student visa (studying to be an air conditioning engineer).

For the last 6 months he's worked 20 hours a week with an air conditioning firm in conjuction with studying.

About a month ago he left that firm and started employment with another firm. This new firm is sponsoring him and he should have his 457 visa within a couple of weeks.

My question is: when can he apply for PR? He has been told he has to work 2 years with this company before he can apply (is it something to do with how much work experience he has as an air conditioning engineer? Is this correct?

Many thanks
MJ
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:31 pm

Default Re: A 457 query

Anyone????
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:44 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Hi,

Bit of background before my question is asked.

My friend is 47. He came over here nearly 3 years ago on a student visa (studying to be an air conditioning engineer).

For the last 6 months he's worked 20 hours a week with an air conditioning firm in conjuction with studying.

About a month ago he left that firm and started employment with another firm. This new firm is sponsoring him and he should have his 457 visa within a couple of weeks.

My question is: when can he apply for PR? He has been told he has to work 2 years with this company before he can apply (is it something to do with how much work experience he has as an air conditioning engineer? Is this correct?

Many thanks
MJ
No its not correct however, the general age elligibility for GSM is 45, gaining GSM if he is over 45 is not straightforward so he should consult a migration agent.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:46 pm
Diane T

diitbrown will become famous soon enoughdiitbrown will become famous soon enough

Hi. He can apply for PR after 2 years of being on the 457 visa which will include the requirement of 12 months with the sponsoring employer. You can apply earlier, but will need his skills assessed and also 3 years work experience.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:21 am

Thanks for both of your replies.

Yes, we are fully aware of the 45 years old rule, but I'm pretty sure there are exceptions. Does anyone know what those exceptions are? I have looked on the DIAC website and Googled but I can't come up with the exception criteria.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Thanks for both of your replies.

Yes, we are fully aware of the 45 years old rule, but I'm pretty sure there are exceptions. Does anyone know what those exceptions are? I have looked on the DIAC website and Googled but I can't come up with the exception criteria
Should all be in booklet 5.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/booklets.htm
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:44 am

Wonderful JAJ,

I'll have a look now.

Very much appreciated.