2 year 457 into PR

Old Apr 24th 2017, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

iank85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 year 457 into PR

Good morning.

I think I am in a bit of a pickle.

My employer has sponsored me on a 2 year 457 visa which is due to run out in June. Due to a new investor purchasing my employer, they have said they will not sponsor me for another 457. I am fine with this as I was going to apply for permanent residency. My employer is happy to nominate me for this.

The issue I feel I have run into is that I can only apply for PR once I have been on the 457 for 2 years. So from my understanding, 1 minute after my 457 expires, I can then apply for PR. This the. Technically means I am an illegal immigrant thus making my application void.

Can I apply for PR before the 2 years run out on my 457 and hop straight on to a bridging visa? Or is there some way I can applying for a temporary bridging visa to fill that ever so short time, maybe a holiday visa? Though I suppose I will no longer be employed and once again not able to apply for PR.

They don't make this easy do they :/

Thanks for your time.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 1:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 year 457 into PR

Originally Posted by iank85
Good morning.

I think I am in a bit of a pickle.

My employer has sponsored me on a 2 year 457 visa which is due to run out in June. Due to a new investor purchasing my employer, they have said they will not sponsor me for another 457. I am fine with this as I was going to apply for permanent residency. My employer is happy to nominate me for this.

The issue I feel I have run into is that I can only apply for PR once I have been on the 457 for 2 years. So from my understanding, 1 minute after my 457 expires, I can then apply for PR. This the. Technically means I am an illegal immigrant thus making my application void.

Can I apply for PR before the 2 years run out on my 457 and hop straight on to a bridging visa? Or is there some way I can applying for a temporary bridging visa to fill that ever so short time, maybe a holiday visa? Though I suppose I will no longer be employed and once again not able to apply for PR.

They don't make this easy do they :/

Thanks for your time.
You can apply for PR at any time. With the employer sponsored route, if you have not been on a 457 for two years, you will need to apply as direct entry and meet that criteria, which will mean that you need a valid skills assessment.