Project Manager needing help!

Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

AJ18600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Project Manager needing help!

Hi all,

I am sure this has probably been covered in detail among the thousands of threads but I am in need of some help.

I am an experience Project Manager within the UK Civil Service (Defence). It has been my dream to emigrate to Australia since I was old enough to understand the concept! My issue is that my job is not on the list and I don't know where to start with getting advice on potential jobs. If my role is not on the list, am I fighting a losing battle?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Alan
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

M0zza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Project Manager needing help!

I have no idea about your job, but I do know that if you are not in an occupation on the list then yes migration through occupation is not going to happen I am afraid.

“Project manager” is quite vague though so maybe worth checking with a migration agent.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Alan,

ICT project manager is on the list for VIC, https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/m...t-for-victoria.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:31 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJ18600
I am an experience Project Manager within the UK Civil Service (Defence). It has been my dream to emigrate to Australia since I was old enough to understand the concept! My issue is that my job is not on the list and I don't know where to start with getting advice on potential jobs. If my role is not on the list, am I fighting a losing battle?
A pointer or two:
  1. Most obviously, you aren't going to be doing defence in Oz, for at least the first 5 years, since you won't be able to get security clearance, because you won't be a citizen. So you'd have to be looking at other avenues anyway.
  2. You don't say if you are a generic PM, or have some niche. If the latter then you are better off hanging your hat on that, or even tilting your career that way to make it work. You can often find that you can describe what you do in different ways, so as to get past their tickbox assessment approach.
  3. If you are generic, then you are unlikely to see it on the skilled list, because loads of people can call themselves a PM.
My suggestion to you is to look for a role/secondment to Australia from within whichever organisations you are in in the UK. If it's MoD then Canberra postings are quite possible, if it's BAE, then again opportunities exist with the stuff they sell here. Similarly for all the others. From that point it's both easier to see if you'd actually like it, and to network to find someone who might sponsor you.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly Project or Program Administrator?
Search ANZSCO 511112