Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

189 and RRV with very limited time spent onshore

189 and RRV with very limited time spent onshore

Old Sep 16th 2016, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute
Default 189 and RRV with very limited time spent onshore

Greetings,

I was granted a 189 Visa in Dec 2013 but has not yet made the move to Australia, simply because I met my wife in London some time afterwards and we are still enjoying life in London (she is Australian).

It is likely we will make the move to Sydney just before my 189 expires, in late 2017 or 2018. Of course, as I have not spent any significant time yet (over 2 years) inside Australia when my 189 expires in Dec 2018, I understand that I technically do not qualify for a RRV subclass 155, although there are specific conditions that may allow for exemptions to this rule.

At this stage, is the fact that I am married to an Australian citizen enough for me to with some confidence expect to be granted the 5 years RRV?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 and RRV with very limited time spent onshore

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist
Greetings,

I was granted a 189 Visa in Dec 2013 but has not yet made the move to Australia, simply because I met my wife in London some time afterwards and we are still enjoying life in London (she is Australian).

It is likely we will make the move to Sydney just before my 189 expires, in late 2017 or 2018. Of course, as I have not spent any significant time yet (over 2 years) inside Australia when my 189 expires in Dec 2018, I understand that I technically do not qualify for a RRV subclass 155, although there are specific conditions that may allow for exemptions to this rule.

At this stage, is the fact that I am married to an Australian citizen enough for me to with some confidence expect to be granted the 5 years RRV?
No you will not qualify for a five year RRV, not until you have lived in Australia for two years - no chance whatsoever before then.

As for getting the RRV, which would be a one year one for you if you applied soon after moving, it really is not a question of there being exemptions. You have to prove ties to Australia and as you are living there with an Australian wife you would do that quite easily - no "exemption" required.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are planning on leaving Australia you don't have to apply for the RRV straight away.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both, that sounds positive. We would be moving to Sydney long term but I would like to make sure I am able to travel abroad if required, for example if there were to be a family emergency back home.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perpetual Tourist
I would like to make sure I am able to travel abroad if required, for example if there were to be a family emergency back home.
Even if you didn't have significant ties like your wife, there is a 3 month RRV available for things like family emergencies, so no need to worry.