189 - Hire agent or process by self?

Old May 1st 2017, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Esoteric is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow 189 - Hire agent or process by self?

Hi there,

We're in the process of getting ready to apply for 189 visa - my wife is a teacher. We're wondering, is the process of applying for the visa easy to undertake by ourselves?

The temptation is to hire an agent - are the costs for this usually quite high?

The EILTS test is already complete, with maximum points. We've had a eligibility test and everything looks good for us to apply.

Any helps or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old May 1st 2017, 9:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 - Hire agent or process by self?

Originally Posted by Esoteric
Hi there,

We're in the process of getting ready to apply for 189 visa - my wife is a teacher. We're wondering, is the process of applying for the visa easy to undertake by ourselves?

The temptation is to hire an agent - are the costs for this usually quite high?

The EILTS test is already complete, with maximum points. We've had a eligibility test and everything looks good for us to apply.

Any helps or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Has your wife completed a skills assesment yet?
Old May 2nd 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Has your wife completed a skills assesment yet?
Not yet - we're awaiting graduation certificate for a Masters Degree which is required. Once we have it we will then complete assessment and apply.
Old May 2nd 2017, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

dazwhitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i'm in the same boat but an electrician. I am wanting to apply for a 189 skilled points visa. I know I need a skills assessment and also need 10 points to get to the magic 60 number.

I have had an initial assessment from a migration agent who has recommended the above. His fee to process the application is £2550. I would love to save this money but not sure how hard the application is and what if you get something wrong. If anyone has any info that will help that would be great.

Thanks in advance, Darren
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazwhitt
Hi, i'm in the same boat but an electrician. I am wanting to apply for a 189 skilled points visa. I know I need a skills assessment and also need 10 points to get to the magic 60 number.

I have had an initial assessment from a migration agent who has recommended the above. His fee to process the application is £2550. I would love to save this money but not sure how hard the application is and what if you get something wrong. If anyone has any info that will help that would be great.

Thanks in advance, Darren
Not sure what was recommended - the skills assessment? Everyone has to have a valid skills assessment to lodge an EOI (Expression of Interest). For a UK electrician, this is conducted by Vetassess, Future Skills or Victoria University and is a three-fold assessment.

You need to do a self assessment with Tradeset, you need to forward this with qualifications, references, resume, etc to the assessing body (paper assessment) and if successful at this stage, the final assessment is a practical one with a theory test also. Cost of an electricians skills assessment is around $2200 (not counting travelling to practical).
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

dazwhitt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I have all the info regarding the visa application and what to do being a sparks. I'm just so confused about hiring an agent or doing it myself with the visa application.
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:46 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on whether, after you've done your research, you think there are likely to be any complications with your visa, e.g. medical, conviction issues, family issues. If so, then professional advice can be useful.

If, on the other hand, you feel your case is very straightforward then do your research, plan it and go for it yourself, making use of advice found on this forum and others.

Regards,

Richard
Old May 7th 2017, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

I'd say our situation is pretty straightforward. No kids, no medical problems, convictions etc.

How much are the agent fees usually?
Old May 17th 2017, 2:08 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

They will vary depending on the case and what's involved, just like any legal professional's.

Talk to a MARA registered agent who can assess your eligibility for free and, if eligible, give you a complete breakdown of all fees prior to entering any agreement.

Regards,

Richard