189 and bridging visa advice

Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:18 am
Just Joined

clkgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 189 and bridging visa advice

Hi Guys

I have not been able to source any specific information to help with my query. I applied for a 189 onshore for myself and my dependent son (17) on 14th November. I already hold a ss475 and have been in Aus since November 2012.

My current 475 was valid until 4th November 2015.

When I click submit and paid my fee, I received 2 emails

The first was an acknowledgement letter with standard information about certifying and uploading documents. The second was letter and grant notice of a bridging visa A for my son but not for me. Should I also have been granted a bridging visa as the main applicant? Oddly, his bridging visa showed our old address from two years ago and my letter showed our current address.

It also says that the bridging visa is not in effect because the skilled visa is still in effect. It also says there is no travel on the bridging visa A. However, my son needs to travel to UK on 16th December to visit his father for Christmas and I am travelling to USA in January for 3 weeks.

I don't have a case officer yet and most likely will not have one before our travel plans come into effect.

My question is whom should I be notifying that we wish to travel and should we be purchasing bridging visa B for each of us even though the 475 is still in effect?

Advice welcome as I don't want to leave the country and find we cannot return for some reason.

clk
Old Nov 21st 2014, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 and bridging visa advice

What is the expiry of your 475 visa? If it is still in date, then no need to do anything.

Why did you apply for a 189 though if you already had 475 and have been here for two years?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply

The 475 does not expire until next November.
So we will be okay to travel. That's great. Should I inform anyone?

Any idea why there was just one bridging visa issued?

I have been offered a great job in a non regional area and therefore need PR sooner rather than wait 6-9 months for them to process the 887. It is more money so worth the expense.
clk
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clkgirl
Thanks for the reply

The 475 does not expire until next November.
So we will be okay to travel. That's great. Should I inform anyone?

Any idea why there was just one bridging visa issued?

I have been offered a great job in a non regional area and therefore need PR sooner rather than wait 6-9 months for them to process the 887. It is more money so worth the expense.
clk
No you don't need to tell anyone, you are free to come and go as you please.

You would certainly have both got a bridging visa running in the background, it is automatic. I expect they mixed up the paperwork that they sent you.

Note that if for some reason your 189 takes a long time, the BVA which is in the background, will I think be deactivated when you go offshore. So make sure it is reinstated, just in case that 189 is delayed. Shouldn't be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Nov 21st 2014 at 10:09 pm. Reason: Correction
Old Nov 21st 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help

That is good to know

clk