189 Application Questions.

Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jacko86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 189 Application Questions.

Hello. Just after some specific advice re: the 189 application. I was invited to apply today and been working through the form.

1. "Has the applicant been employed overseas in their nominated occupation or a closely related occupation at a skilled level, immediately before invitation to lodge this application?"

What do I put for this if I am NOT claiming points for experience? I have been working in my nominated occupation for almost 3 years but am not claiming points and haven't got any skilled employment assessed by the assessing authority (although obviously do have a positive Skills Assessment).

2. "Have any of the applicants lived in a country other than the primary applicant's usual country of residence?"

My wife (who is emigrating with me on the 189) lived in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa for a few months around 10 years ago. Does this class as living in a different country?

3. Do all wife's qualifications need to be put on in that section, including secondary school? And do they also need to be evidenced? Not claiming points for her. And also do her last 10 years employment need to be put on as well?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 Application Questions.

They're not trick questions. Read what is being asked and answer truthfully.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
They're not trick questions. Read what is being asked and answer truthfully.
I'm not using an agent and have heard stories about people being denied for making basic mistakes.

In the EOI you have to mark any work experience you're not claiming points for as not relevant to your nominated occupation (even if it is). That's why I'm a bit wary about it. I'd rather be as sure as I can by asking people who might know. Failing that I'll just answer truthfully and hope it doesn't matter if it's not exactly right.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko86
I'm not using an agent and have heard stories about people being denied for making basic mistakes.

In the EOI you have to mark any work experience you're not claiming points for as not relevant to your nominated occupation (even if it is). That's why I'm a bit wary about it. I'd rather be as sure as I can by asking people who might know. Failing that I'll just answer truthfully and hope it doesn't matter if it's not exactly right.
Never ever be anything but truthful on your application.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Never ever be anything but truthful on your application.
I don't intend to be anything but truthful. I just don't want to make a silly technical mistake.

For example with the 1st question - how do I prove I have been employed at a skilled level if they ask for this without having an assessment of skilled employment?

Perhaps I'm overthinking it and I'll just answer 0-3 years to that question.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 3:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko86
I don't intend to be anything but truthful. I just don't want to make a silly technical mistake.

For example with the 1st question - how do I prove I have been employed at a skilled level if they ask for this without having an assessment of skilled employment?

Perhaps I'm overthinking it and I'll just answer 0-3 years to that question.
Your employment does not have to be assessed by anyone other than DIBP mostly - even assessing bodies who check experience usually say it is a guide only and DIBP has final decision. That said, answer the question truthfully - if you have worked in your nominated occupation overseas then say so. Proof if needed can be offer letter, payslips, etc but if you are not claiming points for the experience then I don't think it's needed.

If you are at all concerned, it is not to late to involve a MARA agent - and even if they do not do the application for you, they can provide additional guidance on responses.

ETA - oh, and the WHV I don't think is classed as living in another country as it is temporary. Does it ask for stays of over 12 months in last 10 years or something similar? That's how I remember it.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Jun 22nd 2017 at 3:03 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Your employment does not have to be assessed by anyone other than DIBP mostly - even assessing bodies who check experience usually say it is a guide only and DIBP has final decision. That said, answer the question truthfully - if you have worked in your nominated occupation overseas then say so. Proof if needed can be offer letter, payslips, etc but if you are not claiming points for the experience then I don't think it's needed.

If you are at all concerned, it is not to late to involve a MARA agent - and even if they do not do the application for you, they can provide additional guidance on responses.

ETA - oh, and the WHV I don't think is classed as living in another country as it is temporary. Does it ask for stays of over 12 months in last 10 years or something similar? That's how I remember it.
Thanks that's really useful. I'll just put 0-3 years for question 1, which is truthful.

I think think the stays of 12 months thing is for the police checks. I'll just answer it truthfully again and say she did live in Aus for a few months and put her address there, although not sure how she could evidence that if needed.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If you are confused - and it can be a confusing process - I would consider hiring an agent to assist. The cost is a fraction of what you are likely going to spend making the move anyways.