189/190 VISA Australia work experience

Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

woody2709 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 189/190 VISA Australia work experience

Hi everyone, qualified sparky currently working through the process towards either 189, 190, 489 or spouse visa for Northern Territory. Got my skills assessment in the morning at the down under centre in London and IELTS on the weekend. I've been in Australia the last 2 years WHV and for the best part of 1 1/2 of them i was working for electrical companies in the NT doing the majority of the work and alongside A grade sparks. Question is because i wasn't qualified there, can i use it towards skillselect points as inside australia experience? Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189/190 VISA Australia work experience

Originally Posted by woody2709
Hi everyone, qualified sparky currently working through the process towards either 189, 190, 489 or spouse visa for Northern Territory. Got my skills assessment in the morning at the down under centre in London and IELTS on the weekend. I've been in Australia the last 2 years WHV and for the best part of 1 1/2 of them i was working for electrical companies in the NT doing the majority of the work and alongside A grade sparks. Question is because i wasn't qualified there, can i use it towards skillselect points as inside australia experience? Thanks
Only skilled experience will count for points, and in Australia that generally would require you to hold a license. As a sparky, you will probably be okay at 60 points for an invite so hopefully you will be okay without taking the risk.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

That's what i thought, such a shame as well. Close on points hence why I'm sitting IELTS this weekend
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:40 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

That's what i thought, such a shame as well. Close on points hence why I'm sitting IELTS this weekend
State sponsorship can add 5 points for 190 visa if that helps, but English is a good boost too if you can score high enough There are also alternative tests to IELTS which some find easier, but I think IELTS is straightforward providing there is no other barrier (dyslexia for example)
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

At least you are lucky enough to have options. A Spouse Visa would not be for the NT, you can live anywhere. Also it does not require a skills assessment or IELTS.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 8:40 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

When you are at the Down Under Centre, have a word with Wes about how to get your Oz licence. You can now undertake the theory here, although you still need to log your hours in Australia.

Regards,

Richard
Old Apr 5th 2017, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Hey guys, passed my skills assessment according to the examiner on site. Still need future skills to look at my papers before i get my cert. Yeah best option is 189 190 or 489 visas as the spouse visa takes around a year. Already been away from my fiance since january and all my assets are still in darwin with her. Needing to get back asap haha. Got a job ready and waiting with my previous comnpany. Just need that bloody visa invitation and acceptance to go as planned
Old Apr 6th 2017, 9:29 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

As stated earlier, talk to Wes at the DUC. You can now do the theory here, although you'll still need to log your hours on your provisional licence - the theory is still a big chunk of the work though so if you can get that done before you go, it will make things easier.

Regards,

Richard

MARA No: 9905168
<snip>

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 6th 2017 at 9:49 am. Reason: Removed link. Details are in your signature.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan
As stated earlier, talk to Wes at the DUC. You can now do the theory here, although you'll still need to log your hours on your provisional licence - the theory is still a big chunk of the work though so if you can get that done before you go, it will make things easier.

Regards,

Richard

MARA No: 9905168
<snip>
Which states accept the theory part if undertaken with DUC? Is it recognised by all states? Who is the RTO for the theory training?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

The RTO is future skills so accepted in states
Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

all states*
Old Apr 7th 2017, 7:15 am

The RTO is future skills so accepted in states
I wasn't asking about the skills assessment, it was a question on gap training since all states handle that differently. For example, Electrical rescue from live / CPR is an annual and compulsory requirement in SA, but I believe a 6 monthly requirement in QLD.

Also, if you do the theory in the UK, who will sign off the other requirements in Australia? VIC, for example, requires electricians to undertake LEP / LET I think before they can be issued a full license.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 8:28 am

I've just found out about this myself, so I don't have all the details. I'm in the process of finding out more. Wes at the DUC will have the full details.

Regards,

Richard
Old Apr 7th 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan
I've just found out about this myself, so I don't have all the details. I'm in the process of finding out more. Wes at the DUC will have the full details.

Regards,

Richard
Can I suggest you stop promoting them as a means of fulfilling the theory part of the gap training, and just comment that it may be possible. DUT as they used to be called, had a terrible reputation for not being able to deliver on promises so wouldn't want them to regain that reputation. There's a big difference between 'maybe' and 'can'.

For myself, I'm all good. Completed gap training here in SA, and paid for by SMS (skilled migrant services) here so saved a pretty penny Doing it here also means you get to meet other sparks in the same boat, and start making network connections, so was a win-win.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 9:13 am

No problem. This is hot off the press as it were. I'm reporting what people are telling us who are working with the DUC on their skills assessment, and this is what they are being told.

Perhaps I didn't caveat this enough as my experience with the DUC so far has been excellent. I concur that people need to speak directly with the DUC and get all the details before coming to any decision.

Regards,

Richard

MARN 9905168

Last edited by Richard_Gregan; Apr 7th 2017 at 9:15 am.