"check list" for emigration to Australia

Old Oct 26th 2001, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Teri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really niceTeri M is just really nice

HI!

Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of a "check list" of things that need to be done prior to emigrating to Australia? I don`t mean things like applying for visa, medicals etc.

What I`m really after is the "nitty gritty", things like not forgetting to get a letter from your car insurance company in the UK certifying no-claims bonus entitlement, and that sort of thing.

I`m trying to get everything sorted, but I`m sure I`ll miss something!!!

So if any of you have any bright ideas, or know of a good "check list", can you please let me have a copy???

Thanks.
Old Oct 26th 2001, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Magwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really niceMagwired is just really nice

I've not seen any specific lists, but maybe it's an idea to buy a book like: Living and Working in Australia, which provides a complete practical guide to relocating, whether on a temporary or permanent basis, it gives quite a few pointers on what you need to consider before moving over and also whilst living there. For example you mentioned car insurance, did you know you'll need to take a driving test within the first 3 months of arriving (this does vary according to which state you decide to settle in), so maybe you'll want to start memorising the Australian highway code?? But seriously, the book helps, it covers topics such as buying a house, setting up a business, education, health, etc.

Cheers,
Myrica

Old Oct 26th 2001, 1:32 pm
Alan Collett

Hi Teri.

In an earlier posting you said you have a UK business. One thing you must do if you
are emigrating is get advice on your tax planning options as you can expect to cease
to be UK tax-resident => opportunities to save tax (and possibly lots of it).

Not sure that this is one of those "nitty gritty" things though ....

Incidentally, ASCO stands for Australian Standard Classification of Occupations.

Hope this helps.

Alan Collett alan-at-collettandco-dot-com Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534,
Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, and Member of
the Migration Institute of Australia Collett & Co Chartered Accountants W
www.collettandco.com Enterprise House, Ocean Village, Southampton, Hampshire,
England, SO14 3XB, T +44 (0)2380 488786 Also at 5/11 Queens Road, Melbourne, VIC
3004, Australia, T +61 (0)3 8530 7030, through www.gomatilda.com

Teri M wrote in message ... HI!

Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of a "check list" of things that need
to be done prior to emigrating to Australia? I don`t mean things like applying for
visa, medicals etc.

What I`m really after is the "nitty gritty", things like not forgetting to get a
letter from your car insurance company in the UK certifying no-claims bonus
entitlement, and that sort of thing.

I`m trying to get everything sorted, but I`m sure I`ll miss something!!!

So if any of you have any bright ideas, or know of a good "check list", can you
please let me have a copy???

Thanks.

--