why poms or pommies?

Old Jan 24th 2002, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

sam smith is an unknown quantity at this point

why o why do aussies call us english poms or pommies? does anybody know the answer at all?..me and my workmates are wracking our brains over this one..HELP
Old Jan 24th 2002, 6:53 pm
ndaltonb

The one I've heard is that the early convicts had the letters "P.O.H.M." (for "Prisoners of His Majesty") stencilled on the backs of their prison uniforms thus pommies??

Nigel db

Originally posted by sam smith
why o why do aussies call us english poms or pommies? does anybody know the answer at all?..me and my workmates are wracking our brains over this one..HELP

Old Jan 25th 2002, 12:25 pm
Cipher

All wrong.... it is POME pronounced pom. Why?? PRISONER OF MOTHER ENGLAND. I can
assure you this is the correct interpretation of this slang.

Old Jan 25th 2002, 9:36 pm
Cipher

How can I be sure? Firstly I am Australian and it was a name given to People in
England after Australia stopped being a penal colony, once people in Australia
immigrants from all over realised just how fortunate the country was, Gold rush etc
and weather etc. The name was coined for English people living un the UK as POME's...

Australia Day 26th of Jan

Old Jan 26th 2002, 2:05 am
Travis

How can you assure us that this is correct ? I have heard of numerous origins of the
word 'POM' but never any evidence. -Travis

>
I
    >

Old Jan 26th 2002, 7:00 am
Andrew.Yates680

Another I heard related to English Aristocratic History. POM is an abrieveation for
Pompous, which would aptly describe the 18th Century Hooray henry's we put in as
Governor dont you think.

--
reply to [email protected]

or [email protected]

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 26th 2002, 11:12 am
Mark :-\)

Was it because....

When they were shipping the prisoners from England to Oz the fed them pomegranates to
prevent scurvy.....hence the abbreviation to Poms...

Dunno .....but worth a try..may even start a new rumour

Cheers MD

>
People
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 26th 2002, 5:24 pm
Theresa Da-Silva

G'day Sam.... I am a fairdinkum Ochre Aussie, (born and bred in Australian Outback)
who has been in almost every sector of the Australian Society .. From personally
dining with two Prime Ministers to Shearing in the Outback of Queensland. I have had
a very good education also ... Now that you understand that I have a good knowledge
of Australians .. I may add that I am about to marry a beautiful Lady from Tooting,
London. UNDERSTAND THE AUSSIE BLOKE... The name Pommies is derived from the original
convicts as previously explained and that is correct. Australians have for the passed
couple of centuries used NICKNAMES as a term of acceptance and Mateship. Nowadays
many so-called do gooders will condemn this practice BUT if you rather not be part of
the local blokes and a "Mate" to the established circle of "Mates" THEN TELL THEM YOU
DON'T APPRECIATE THE TERM "POMMIES" and you will not be part of them. BUT ON THE
OTHER HAND; If you accept the term "Pommy" YOU WILL become one of the guys and "with
the correct (Happy) tone of voice, ask them "Why do you Aussie Bastards call us
Poms?" Just remember to smile at the same time. DO NOT ACCEPT any Aussie Bastard who
wants to put the word 'Pommy' in a derogative manner. He is a right Bastard and is
NOT a true blue Aussie. He is no more than a shit-stirrer. AUSTRALIANS, as a whole,
love the British Immigrants as we are almost all descendants of British Stock. Just
like... if a bloke is very big he will get the nickname 'Tiny' most Aussies use the
reverse to show that you are accepted. Just don't let someone make a fool of you. Be
sure that IT is said IN A FRIENDLY MANNER and DO NOT ACCEPT LESS.

Now ONE MORE WORD OF GOOD ADVICE... Please remember that even though Aussies
sometimes 'put-down' Australia THEY LOVE THEIR COUNTRY AND DO NOT ALLOW others to do
the same. So DON'T complain or as some people say "Whinge". After being accepted by
a group of friends and you have found a comfortable 'niche' in your society THEN you
MAY have a 'bit of a whinge' about Government, Local Council and anything else that
may be the topic of conversation. BE A 'POMMIE MATE' and you will have a great time
and great life-long friends. Remember, just as you do in England, you will have
'your mates' lead you on a bit and play the odd joke on you. This is OK when in good
taste and you will then know that you are accepted and feel part of the
establishment. (a good feeling) Because I have moved from one area to another quite
a bit I have been 'branded' with a number of nicknames such as "Goffy" (That one I
never followed why) but it showed that I was accepted in that community. "Yowie"
(The Australian version of 'Bigfoot' or 'Yeti') "Bobcat" and "The Vet". The only
nickname I kicked up about was from my previous marriage when my brother-in-law
started to introduce me to his friends as "The Mongrel Brother-in-law" .. I stopped
that one VERY FAST (smile). and this now ex-brother-in-law have been and still are
the best of mates for the past 20 years.

Hope this is somewhat of an assistance to your enquiries... and Love Aussies and we
Love Brits. Australians have worked and fought alongside Bristish Mates since the
Boer Wars (check history) and we will NEVER let down our Mates. Your Aussie Mate
Yowie ([email protected]) I am in New Mexico, USA, at the moment and will be
home in about 4 weeks but am having my email re-directed.

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 27th 2002, 9:28 am
Terry R Brooking

>
    >
Hooray
    >
    >

That's the one I was trying to think of... though I heard it from an old Anzac who
said it was from an incident in the first world war when an English General overheard
an Anzac making a derogatory remark about the English commanders. When challenged the
Anzac 'explained' that he had said 'Pom' and that Pom was an affectionate nickname
given to all English and the name stuck.

Regards Terry

Old Feb 1st 2002, 3:26 am
Matt Smith

hi sam...

couple of ideas on this one...take your pick!

1. "pommies" is from the letters allegedly on the prisoners uniforms, alleged to be
"POHM" , Prisoner of his Majesty.

2. Poms or Pommies was short for pomegranate, the pulp of which being the colour that
a new arrival went in the sun.

3. Pommie is really spelt Pome and stands for 'Prisoner of Mother England'.

4. "Pom" was a reference to "pommie" or a kind of cider that was popular in
south-western England, and was applied to English people generally.

cheers

Matt

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 5:25 pm
Jez

I heard that POM stood for prisoner of his majesty (ie the first English to go to
Australia) Jez.

[usenetquote2]> > Another I heard related to English Aristocratic History. POM is an abrieveation[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for Pompous, which would aptly describe the 18th Century[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > henry's we put in as Governor dont you think.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >