Visa confusion

Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Lillypop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa confusion

Hi all,
I was hopeful someone may be able to advise, i am unsure if this is a really complicated situation or not?!!
Basically, we came to Australia over 2 years ago on my husbands 457 visa. He changed jobs and will be with his current employer for 2 years in February.... ANYHOW...

I have been working for my current employer for 2 years and they are looking at offering me PR. ( I am a registered nurse from the UK but do not have the required experience and I am now basically working as a welfare working with a view of completing my social work degree).

Does my employer need to sponsor me on a 186 or a 187 visa? Is it even possible?

They have sponsored many people on a 457 but I would be a first for PR, is this going to be a complicated or lengthy procedure?

Any advice would be appreciated as I feel like I am going round in circles.

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa confusion

Welcome to the forum Lillipop
As the secondary visa holder you would be looking at using the direct stream of the 186/7 employer sponsored visas (as would your husband if not working for the same employer 2 years).

Assuming otherwise eligible you would need a positive skills assessment first. You both might also look at the skilled independent visas.

Time wise it is not much different to the other stream 3-5 months currently, although varies considerably, plus the time for the skills assessment.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Lillypop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thankyou.
The next question is given the 3-5 month time it takes can we have our application in earlier?
The other advice Iwas given on a seperate forum is that my husband can get us a 186 as the direct stream now states;
◦temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream, or
◦people with a nomination lodged with us before 1 July 2012.

Does this mean he would still need an assessment? Sorry to ask such silly questions, it is such a mindfield....

Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lillypop
Hi,
Thankyou.
The next question is given the 3-5 month time it takes can we have our application in earlier?
The other advice Iwas given on a seperate forum is that my husband can get us a 186 as the direct stream now states;
◦temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream, or
◦people with a nomination lodged with us before 1 July 2012.

Does this mean he would still need an assessment? Sorry to ask such silly questions, it is such a mindfield....

Thanks
I don't understand your first question about getting the application in earlier? Earlier than what? You Cs. Put the application in whenever you are ready.

I am also not sure I understand what point you are making regarding advice from another forum. The direct entry stream has been there for a couple of years now and is there for people that have not worked for their employer for two years on a 457 visa. A skills assessment is required for this (other than one or two rare exceptions).