British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   solicitor in gloucester for certifying doc's (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/solicitor-gloucester-certifying-docs-604651/)

PLASTERERFROMWALES Apr 21st 2009 9:28 am

solicitor in gloucester for certifying doc's

hi, does anyone know of a solicitor in tewkesbury, gloucester or cheltenham that will certify documents for a reasonable fee? I have contacted loads and they all want £5 per page for certifying and £5 for stat decs.
I have 122 pages to certify and 4 stat decs. There are quite a few posts on here from people who have had large amounts of doc's certified for a reasonable amount but I don't seem to be having much luck.
Thanks in advance.

Bermudashorts Apr 21st 2009 10:49 am

Re: solicitor in gloucester for certifying doc's

£5 a page seems reasonable, I'm in Herts and it is £10 a page. Are you sure you need 122 pages certified though? Isn't is just certificates etc that need to be notarised.

turbojamtart Apr 21st 2009 6:58 pm

We just phoned our local J.P who was more than happy to certify OH documents. We live in a small village and OH does a lot of community work so I think that helped. Solicitor wanted £6 a page- rip off!

Jen1977ni Apr 21st 2009 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by PLASTERERFROMWALES (Post 7499088)
hi, does anyone know of a solicitor in tewkesbury, gloucester or cheltenham that will certify documents for a reasonable fee? I have contacted loads and they all want £5 per page for certifying and £5 for stat decs.
I have 122 pages to certify and 4 stat decs. There are quite a few posts on here from people who have had large amounts of doc's certified for a reasonable amount but I don't seem to be having much luck.
Thanks in advance.

Only black and white docs need verified, coloured ones can be scanned and uploaded as they are! I got mine done here in Northern Ireland, didn't cost me a penny, so I bought the solicitor a bottle of Aussie Red Wine and some organic chocs! He's also offered to do an affidavit for free too!

derekgoforth Apr 21st 2009 7:58 pm

who is it that can certify docs for visa? there doesnt seem to be an exhaustive list anywhere?

teppic Apr 23rd 2009 7:38 am

When I asked the same question the IMIE help desk sent me this:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The following people in the UK and Ireland can certify documents for Australian visas:

Australian Terminology- UK - IRELAND
Practising lawyer - Solicitor - Solicitor
Magistrate - Magistrate - N/A
Public notary - Notary Public - Notary Public
Justice of the Peace - Justice of the Peace - N/A
Commissioner of Declaration - Commissioner for Oaths - Commissioner for Oaths

Position/agency recognised by the law of country to certify documents Officer of a Court appointed by a Judge to take affidavits Peace Commissioner

Please note:
• In Scotland a Councillor may also certify documents.
• A Registered Migration Agent may certify copies of original documents for visa applications they make on behalf of clients.

I live in London and Found A couple of Solicitors that would ceritfy 10 or more docs for under £40

Best advise - Use a solicitor - shop around

derekgoforth Apr 23rd 2009 7:51 am

Teachers, Docters , ministers can also certyfy documents for visas

Jen1977ni Apr 23rd 2009 8:37 am

Teachers can't

derekgoforth Apr 23rd 2009 9:05 am

Several people used teachers to certify documents when they went to WA in January .

Jen1977ni Apr 23rd 2009 9:36 am

It's maybe different for each visa, my skills assessment docs could be verified by my Principal, then for my 175 it was a solicitor, maybe not as strict about other visa types, I don't know?!

derekgoforth Apr 23rd 2009 9:51 am

i dont know, i have had a link posted to me

http://www.iinet.net.au/legal/statdec.pdf

see note two on who can certify docs, and according to the diac website anyone who can csign a stautory declaration can certify documents for visa purposes

its the same for WACOT as well

i think it could be made a lot clearer