Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Please advise, NOT on New SOL - Primary School Teacher

Please advise, NOT on New SOL - Primary School Teacher

Old May 24th 2010, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

wolfhound77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please advise, NOT on New SOL - Primary School Teacher

Hi

Am a primary school teacher applied for GSM but unfortunatly the new SOL list does not contain my occupation. Anybody any ideas of other ways my husband and i can migrate to OZ?

Thanks!!
Old May 24th 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ozzieland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please advise, NOT on New SOL - Primary School Teacher

Originally Posted by wolfhound77
Hi

Am a primary school teacher applied for GSM but unfortunatly the new SOL list does not contain my occupation. Anybody any ideas of other ways my husband and i can migrate to OZ?

Thanks!!
Have you already applied for GSM ? If so, you are safe and the new rules / SOL will not apply to your application. If not, you will have to wait for the SMPs to be released and are expected beginning July, 2010 or get an Employer to sponsor you.
Old May 24th 2010, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzieland
Have you already applied for GSM ? If so, you are safe and the new rules / SOL will not apply to your application. If not, you will have to wait for the SMPs to be released and are expected beginning July, 2010 or get an Employer to sponsor you.
Hi Ozzieland!!

I have not applied for GSM yet, i had all my docs ready, but then the new SOL came out just before we were able to apply.

I guess our next option is SMP.

Regarding getting an employer to sponsor me, maybe I could start contacting primary schools in each state???
Old May 24th 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Getting a job in a schoo,l and for them to sponsor you, would be ideal - but it is difficult.

Jobs in state schools are allocated by the board of education in the state so not having the right to live and work in Australia would be a problem. To boot they also allocate you wherever they want so expect be a long, long way from anything nearing civilization as you know it.

Private schools might be a possibility although there is more demand for secondary rather than primary teachers.

Some states did have a recruitment drive a year or so ago but given the global economic downturn, and more primary teachers coming through the system these have, to my best knowledge, been closed.

The state sponsorship route would seem the best bet therfeore but with GSM suspended and SMP documents yet to be released i'm afraid you'll have to wait a while until all the new detail is with us.

Not long now.

Bezza
Old May 24th 2010, 10:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks!!
Does your spouse have a skill on the list?
Old May 25th 2010, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Does your spouse have a skill on the list?
Hi Dorothy,

My husband works in IT but his occupation is NOT on the SOL.

He is thinking of re-training a different skill that is on the list, as we will be waiting some time for the SMP to be released and (if applicable) processed.
Old May 25th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

There is a suggestion that a preliminary SMP list is in circulation.

Have a look at : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669659

It may well be just a working document so take nothing for granted - does Tasmania want primary teachers in the north west region?

Bezza
Old May 26th 2010, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
There is a suggestion that a preliminary SMP list is in circulation.

Have a look at : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669659

It may well be just a working document so take nothing for granted - does Tasmania want primary teachers in the north west region?

Bezza
Hi Bezza,

Thanks for the link!!

As you say nothing is confirmed, but maybe a glimmer of hope.

I guess myself and all of the other people in my situation will just have to wait of the official SMP.

btw...Noticed this about NT SMP...

http://www.nt.gov.au/dbe/employment/...rtage_list.pdf
Old May 26th 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfhound,

The NT may well have the need but be prepared to be a long way form anywhere.

Whilst you are waiting you might wish to research the NT and Tas and ???

The SS program will ask you to state why you want to live in that state so this could really help.

Bezza
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Hi Bezza,

Thanks for the link!!

As you say nothing is confirmed, but maybe a glimmer of hope.

I guess myself and all of the other people in my situation will just have to wait of the official SMP.

btw...Noticed this about NT SMP...

http://www.nt.gov.au/dbe/employment/...rtage_list.pdf
Anyone with a crystal ball?...Is this occupation list updated July 1st or next March (its says it is updated annually and the date on it is March 2010). Have emailed NT migration but am impatient....wondering whether to apply for skills assessment now or wait for July 1st to see how the land lies...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ozzieland is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dorothy,

My husband works in IT but his occupation is NOT on the SOL.

He is thinking of re-training a different skill that is on the list, as we will be waiting some time for the SMP to be released and (if applicable) processed.
You could wait for all the state's SMPs to be released and check if your husband's profession is on their list. Both of you could also try for employers to sponsor you... it will doubly increase your chances
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Getting your skills assessment done might help get rid of some frustration .... and if primary teacher is part of a SMP then you could well be one stage ahead of the game.

From memory the cost was $400 odd dollars so not insignificant but far less than the migration process ....

Bezza