Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Aug 5th 2007, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Kim Hunter will become famous soon enoughKim Hunter will become famous soon enough
Default English test mandatory for 25 points

Hi all,

Just to confirm so there's no confusion for those wanting to claim the extra points for 'proficient' English.

If you want to claim 25 points for 'proficient' English on or after 1 September 2007, in the points system for skilled migration it does NOT matter where you come from, whether English is your first language or not, what passport you are on, what your qualifications are or anything else for that matter, if you want to claim the 25 points you MUST either:

* sit an IELTS and score 7 on all 4 bands or

* have scored a B level or greater in an Occupation English Test (OET) exam, where you sat an OET exam as part of your skills assessment.

There are no exceptions that I know of, it's satisfy one of the 2 above or can't claim the 25 points.

Cheers,
Kim
Old Aug 5th 2007, 10:11 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

thanks mods/admin for making this a sticky topic - thanks also to the agents who have given their time and expertise to clarify and explain this new rule.

Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Kim Hunter will become famous soon enoughKim Hunter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
thanks mods/admin for making this a sticky topic - thanks also to the agents who have given their time and expertise to clarify and explain this new rule.

No problems, 1 Sept changes are confusing especially the new points system, post any questions and we'll answer for you all.

Regards,
Kim
Old Aug 6th 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

exceedinglygoodcakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I just recieved my certificate this morning. I got 3 9s and a 7.5. So a pass thank goodness!

Some advice for those sitting it.
1 Do some practice. I use a PC all day, write emails etc and consider myself pretty good with English. What I wasnt really prepared for though was the writing solidly for an hour (in the writing test) It really hurt my hand! You have to write a 150 word letter in 20 mins and 250 word essay in 40 mins, sounds easy but you have to structure it, cover all the points in the question and write coherently. It was actually the time limits that screwed me
2 Dont be too nervous. Easier said than done I know - but feel slightly more confident that you are a nitive speaker
3 Look at some test questions from various places on the net (google it) - these proved invaluable to me
www.ielts-blog.com - was particularly good (if a little messy)
4 Take a pee before you go into the morning session whether you need one or not - you aint going anywhere for the next 3 hours

Good luck all those taking it
Ads

PS - for those going to Manchester - Visit Abduls kebab shop just round the corner from the test centre on Oxford road. Chicken filet kebab is spot on and just what you need after that mammoth morning sesh
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:41 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exceedinglygoodcakes
Hi All,
I just recieved my certificate this morning. I got 3 9s and a 7.5. So a pass thank goodness!

Some advice for those sitting it.
1 Do some practice. I use a PC all day, write emails etc and consider myself pretty good with English. What I wasnt really prepared for though was the writing solidly for an hour (in the writing test) It really hurt my hand! You have to write a 150 word letter in 20 mins and 250 word essay in 40 mins, sounds easy but you have to structure it, cover all the points in the question and write coherently. It was actually the time limits that screwed me
2 Dont be too nervous. Easier said than done I know - but feel slightly more confident that you are a nitive speaker
3 Look at some test questions from various places on the net (google it) - these proved invaluable to me
www.ielts-blog.com - was particularly good (if a little messy)
4 Take a pee before you go into the morning session whether you need one or not - you aint going anywhere for the next 3 hours

Good luck all those taking it
Ads

PS - for those going to Manchester - Visit Abduls kebab shop just round the corner from the test centre on Oxford road. Chicken filet kebab is spot on and just what you need after that mammoth morning sesh
He EGC,

So the question is, what did you get a 7.5 for? That would make me nervous. And one point that people sometimes overlook is that spelling is also an issue for IELTS...

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:29 am
LCU
Just Joined

LCU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New visa English requirements-Question!

Originally Posted by alipally
As a British Citizen, do we have to take an english language test to prove proficiency after sept 1st???
Seems mad, but I'll do it if I have to!

Ali x
People who have made an application for a skilled visa on or before 31 August 2007 will not be affected by the changes.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:57 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks LCU. We hoped to be able to submit before Sept 1st, but as it goes the TRA took so long to get to Canberra and we're off to Brisbane this evening, it's not possible.
I started the thread, because I realised that I wouldn't make it, read the info leaflet online and couldn't quite believe that I'd read it correctly!

As it goes I don't think we need the points.... but if we fall short, there's 10 more points to be had for the price of a day out of your life and around £100!

Maybe I ought to ask for clarification...

Age 30-39 20
occupation, 60
20 years experience, 10
English 15
MODL bonus experience 20

My calculations work out at 125 points
If I've got this wrong please let me know!!
My reference is:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...oints-test.pdf
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:42 am
Just Joined

exceedinglygoodcakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
He EGC,

So the question is, what did you get a 7.5 for? That would make me nervous. And one point that people sometimes overlook is that spelling is also an issue for IELTS...

Cheers,

George Lombard
Hiya George,
I got 7.5 for writing. I was quite surprised to only get that actually. I had practised this more than any other section. I hit the word count, I covered all the topic questions and my spelling is usually good. Maybe it was my shabby scrawly handwriting

Cheers
Ads
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

peace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kim Hunter
No problems, 1 Sept changes are confusing especially the new points system, post any questions and we'll answer for you all.

Regards,
Kim
DIMIA says, "From 1 September 2007, the department will accept the results of English language tests undertaken in the 24 months before the date the visa application was lodged."

I did IELTS on 2nd Sept 2006. As per new rules, will it be valid until 2nd Sept 2008?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice

i was always under the impression that IELTS results were valid for two years, and that for visa purposes, they needed to have at least a one-year shelf-life at the time of application.

don't know if i'm wrong.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough

what about family members? do they have to pass IELTS even though they have british passport? (native speakers or not)
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Nick is an unknown quantity at this point

I will paste here a newsletter that we sent our clients, in the hope that it can help - but everything here is correct anywa - but this might giove some help about the actual test, never mind the scoring system which has been laid out:

G’day!

This is Nick from ASA Consultants – what with the English test now having to be done by ALL applicants from September the 1st, I thought that I would write to you and explain a bit about the actual test, which is called IELTS. I actually used to mark the IELTS test – there’s quite a few strings to my bow!

The “official paragraph” below pretty much explains the test, so simply put:

“IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who need to study or work where English is used as the language of communication. It covers the four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking.”

IELTS is basically the most renowned and trusted test – it has been around since 1989 and over 700,000 people a year actually take the test in 120 countries.

So to actually explain how the test works and what you will actually need to do:

IELTS is available in two modules: Academic and General Training.

Test Format

Candidates are tested in listening, reading, writing and speaking. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking Modules. There is a choice between Academic and General Training in the Reading and Writing Modules.

Band scores are recorded on a Test Report Form, showing overall ability as well as performance in listening, reading, writing and speaking from 1 to 9.

How long is the test?
The test includes:
• Listening: 4 sections – 40 minutes
• Reading: 3 sections – 60 minutes.
• Writing: 2 tasks – 60 minutes
• Speaking: 11-14 minutes

The first three modules - Listening, Reading and Writing - must be completed in one day. The Speaking Module may be taken, at the discretion of the test centre, in the period seven days before or after the other Modules.

All IELTS results are released 13 calendar days after the test.

The internationally-recognised nine (9) band score system of IELTS measures your language proficiency.
Each Band corresponds to a descriptive statement giving a summary of English competence. Overall Band Scores can be reported in either whole or half Bands. (such as 7 or 7.5, for example)
Let’s look at the scores 5 to 9 and no lower – in reality, most English speakers should expect to achieve level 9 – the highest score. Even if minimal formal education was completed, a score of 7 + is realistic.

9 Expert User
Has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.

8 Very Good User

Has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.

7 Good User
Has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.

6 Competent User
Has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.

So what does this actually mean? For the purposes of skilled migration:

If the applicant has “proficient English”, meaning level 7.0 or above, they score 25 points.

If the applicant has “competent English” or “vocational English” if the applicant has a trade occupation, then they score 15 points. To get this level, all you have to do is hold a passport from the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America or the Republic of Ireland – or score level 6.0 or above.

Therefore in reality this is better for potential applicants – you can actually score 5 MORE points than previously, as 20 was the highest score for English.

With 5 more points, this will allow a lot more people to become eligible for more types of visas – please let us know if you were indeed ‘5 points off’ a target score.

For some free samples, click on the following link:
http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find...rticle260.aspx
Click on the following link for the test dates:
http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find...rticle277.aspx
and of course the actual homepage: www.ielts.org

For info on whether your occupation type requires the general or the academic test, have a look on the assessing body websites, such as:

Nurses and midwives: http://www.anmc.org.au
Engineers: http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au
Trades: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Programmes/TRA
Professionals: http://www.vetassess.com.au
IT occupations: http://www.acs.org.au
Teachers: http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go

Last edited by Nick; Aug 7th 2007 at 2:30 pm. Reason: formatting
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

brisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nice

I only had to do the IELTS Test, as main applicant, my OH didn't.

I have the Official IELTS Practice Materials and CD, which covers examples for both the General and Academic Training.I found these useful, as I then knew what to expect. If anyone would like this, I can post it to you, no problem, I don't need them anymore!
Just PM me
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Obedoh9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nick-ASA
I will paste here a newsletter that we sent our clients, in the hope that it can help - but everything here is correct anywa - but this might giove some help about the actual test, never mind the scoring system which has been laid out:

G’day!

This is Nick from ASA Consultants – what with the English test now having to be done by ALL applicants from September the 1st, I thought that I would write to you and explain a bit about the actual test, which is called IELTS. I actually used to mark the IELTS test – there’s quite a few strings to my bow!

The “official paragraph” below pretty much explains the test, so simply put:

“IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to assess the language ability of candidates who need to study or work where English is used as the language of communication. It covers the four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking.”

IELTS is basically the most renowned and trusted test – it has been around since 1989 and over 700,000 people a year actually take the test in 120 countries.

So to actually explain how the test works and what you will actually need to do:

IELTS is available in two modules: Academic and General Training.

Test Format

Candidates are tested in listening, reading, writing and speaking. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking Modules. There is a choice between Academic and General Training in the Reading and Writing Modules.

Band scores are recorded on a Test Report Form, showing overall ability as well as performance in listening, reading, writing and speaking from 1 to 9.

How long is the test?
The test includes:
• Listening: 4 sections – 40 minutes
• Reading: 3 sections – 60 minutes.
• Writing: 2 tasks – 60 minutes
• Speaking: 11-14 minutes

The first three modules - Listening, Reading and Writing - must be completed in one day. The Speaking Module may be taken, at the discretion of the test centre, in the period seven days before or after the other Modules.

All IELTS results are released 13 calendar days after the test.

The internationally-recognised nine (9) band score system of IELTS measures your language proficiency.
Each Band corresponds to a descriptive statement giving a summary of English competence. Overall Band Scores can be reported in either whole or half Bands. (such as 7 or 7.5, for example)
Let’s look at the scores 5 to 9 and no lower – in reality, most English speakers should expect to achieve level 9 – the highest score. Even if minimal formal education was completed, a score of 7 + is realistic.

9 Expert User
Has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.

8 Very Good User

Has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.

7 Good User
Has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.

6 Competent User
Has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.

So what does this actually mean? For the purposes of skilled migration:

If the applicant has “proficient English”, meaning level 7.0 or above, they score 25 points.

If the applicant has “competent English” or “vocational English” if the applicant has a trade occupation, then they score 15 points. To get this level, all you have to do is hold a passport from the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America or the Republic of Ireland – or score level 6.0 or above.

Therefore in reality this is better for potential applicants – you can actually score 5 MORE points than previously, as 20 was the highest score for English.

With 5 more points, this will allow a lot more people to become eligible for more types of visas – please let us know if you were indeed ‘5 points off’ a target score.

For some free samples, click on the following link:
http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find...rticle260.aspx
Click on the following link for the test dates:
http://www.ielts.org/candidates/find...rticle277.aspx
and of course the actual homepage: www.ielts.org

For info on whether your occupation type requires the general or the academic test, have a look on the assessing body websites, such as:

Nurses and midwives: http://www.anmc.org.au
Engineers: http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au
Trades: http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Programmes/TRA
Professionals: http://www.vetassess.com.au
IT occupations: http://www.acs.org.au
Teachers: http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go
If anyone wants a copy of some practice materials that I bought before i sat the test, let me know and I will gladly send them on.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:26 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone confirm whether nurses have to take the academic test?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.