Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nicejenny79 is just really nice
Default Re: New visa English requirements-Question!

Originally Posted by cheshiremark
I've just been reading up on the IELTS. Am I right in thinking that we just need to do the General Test as opposed to the Academic Test?
yes, GT is enough
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Well if its just the general test it shouldn't be too difficult I expect but it does seem like an unnecessary waste of £95 not to mention a waste of time and it all just to prove that I can speak English.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:40 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

If it gives bonus points that you need for the visa.... then it's worth it every time... £95 and a day out of your life in return for the opportunity to live in Australia!
Don't knock it... it probably won't last long, as it's such a cop out for extra points IMHO!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:53 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a prat around but I can see where they are coming from, as since the early 80's teachers in the UK have been banging their heads against brick walls when their schools were given low scores by governement in yearly reports etc.. When part of the problem was they had so many children who lived in England but did not speak profficient English these kids and ones that arrived later will be the intended target of this extra step. As a fluent English speaker they are expecting you to prove or pass with ease.

Originally Posted by louie
But you are not having to prove you are a native speaker are you? You have 15 points for being a native speaker. This policy is trying to identify who has "proficient English" and thus who should be awarded a further 10 for being so. I don't know enough about IELTS to know if that is an appropriate way to determine whether anyone is proficient in English, but I am guessing there is no other worldwide system that would be accessible to all, so maybe it is just the best they can do.

However, it only takes 10 minutes wandering along an average English high street, reading the signs and listening to the native's conversation, to know that the average standard is (at least in my view) less than proficient (and in many cases, barely competent). My experience of Australia is much the same, but surely it's no bad thing to try and improve upon that by favouring immigrants who can communicate well in their new country?
Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I was so in disbelief at this new policy that I wrote to the policy department and here is their reply:

As background information, applicants who hold a passport from the
United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America and
the Republic of Ireland are exempt from sitting an International English
Language Testing System (IELTS) test to demonstrate that they meet the
English language threshold (competent English). However, all applicants
seeking to demonstrate that they have the higher level of proficient
English must provide an IELTS result demonstrating their level of
English.

This rationale behind this requirement is the fact that not all citizens
of the above mentioned countries applying for skilled migration have
proficient English. Therefore proficient English is rewarded with extra
points.

As a former EFL teacher, I am totally bemused by this policy. The IELTS exams were never designed to test native speakers – they are designed to demonstrate how closely an applicant’s English is to that of a native speaker. So it’s a bit like comparing a fish with a fish…

The policy is also flawed. It is not a requirement of holding a British passport to have “competent” English. I know of people that can barely string a sentence together in English but they qualify for a UK passport. Doesn’t seem fair that they would get points automatically for their English “ability”.

Additionally, some native speakers may not do well in the exam and may not qualify for the full 25 points even though their communication skills are at least “proficient”. Possible reasons for this are any kind of literacy problem, or more likely “exam fright”. The latter is more common that you might think and can be a real problem for some people.

Saying all that, the exams should not present a problem for the majority of native speakers – they should be a breeze in fact. You can learn more about them here. I would just be pissed off at the additional costs and stress involved in having to prove that I was a native speaker.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:44 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

can anyone clear up a question about the above please?
its causing some of us confusion, and a little apprehension!!!

according to immi.gov.au's FAQ on the new visa points system it states that it will reward those with proficient english 25 points, over 15 points for competent english.
as a native english speaker, someone who was brought up in the uk and taught through the uk education system and gained 20 years work experience as a nurse, will i have to sit the ielts test to prove this to gain the 25 points, as it states that this is the only way to get them? - a uk passport holder does not have to sit this to show they meet the threshold, however to demonstrate they have the higher level of proficient english will have to sit the ielts. = so you would get 15 points based on your uk passport, but to get 25 you have to sit the ielts despite uk passport/skills assmnt/education/work experience?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ge_english.pdf

many thanks to anyone who can clear this up ...
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: native english speakers - changes on 1st sept?

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins

according to immi.gov.au's FAQ on the new visa points system it states that it will reward those with proficient english 25 points, over 15 points for competent english.
as a native english speaker, someone who was brought up in the uk and taught through the uk education system and gained 20 years work experience as a nurse, will i have to sit the ielts test to prove this to gain the 25 points, as it states that this is the only way to get them? - a uk passport holder does not have to sit this to show they meet the threshold, however to demonstrate they have the higher level of proficient english will have to sit the ielts. = so you would get 15 points based on your uk passport, but to get 25 you have to sit the ielts despite uk passport/skills assmnt/education/work experience?

You've got it in one.

Trish
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Currently, 15 points is awarded for minimum 5 in each IELTS Category, 20 points for minimum 6 in each category - threshold is generally minimum of 5 in each category.

From 01 September, threshold will rise to 6 in each category except where trade occupations are nominated and regional visas, and 15 points is scored for minimum 5 AND minimum of 6 for IELTS (Native sleakers will be considered to have minimum 6 in each but not minimum of 7). So being a native English speaker gets you the required 6 in IELTS for threshold requirements but only scores 15 in the points test.

To get the 25 points for English, you must sit and score a minimum of 7 in each category regardless of whether you are an Oxford Don or whatever - To clarify - THERE IS NO EXCEPTION - the only way to score 25 points for English is to sit the IELTS test and achieve the required score.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:22 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for clarifying that tony ... seems harsh, but fair enough i suppose.

thats us buggered ....
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for clarifying that tony ... seems harsh, but fair enough i suppose.

thats us buggered ....
Why can't you just sit the IELTS?
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why can't you just sit the IELTS?

my other half, although literate is not very good at tests, bless him .... shall have to ply him with copious amounts of alcohol to talk him into it.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:53 pm
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheshiremark
Well if its just the general test it shouldn't be too difficult I expect but it does seem like an unnecessary waste of £95 not to mention a waste of time and it all just to prove that I can speak English.
it is very boring for us nativly speaking english.... its enough to drive you mad sometimes.. the test lasts the whole morning then i had to wait the whole afternoon to sit my spoken test.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:09 pm

sorry, hadnt realised athread about this had already been started!!

does seem bizarre to be tested when your academic background/skills etc all prove you to be proficient in english
we are hoping to go on my partners tra, but he will not be impressed at having to do this test - he's a highly intelligent bloke, but tests arent his strong point so he wont be best pleased

had a gander around the sites and ielts has its own site (www.ielts.org), and here in sheffield you can do the test at hallam university but it is only done 4 times a year
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

my other half, although literate is not very good at tests, bless him .... shall have to ply him with copious amounts of alcohol to talk him into it.

This doesn't affect me but I sympathize with your OH. You could speak the Queen's English like Stephen Fry but be rubbish at test.

If he could get hold of a past IELTS test paper, perhaps that would put his mind at rest that it'd be a doddle. And 25 points can come in handy.

Best of luck
-d
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:52 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, hadnt realised athread about this had already been started!!

does seem bizarre to be tested when your academic background/skills etc all prove you to be proficient in english
we are hoping to go on my partners tra, but he will not be impressed at having to do this test - he's a highly intelligent bloke, but tests arent his strong point so he wont be best pleased

had a gander around the sites and ielts has its own site (www.ielts.org), and here in sheffield you can do the test at hallam university but it is only done 4 times a year
Unless you specifically NEED the points to meet the pass mark, you don't have to do and waste time and money... we don't need it (well not if we pass the TRA) so won't be doing it. Obviously if you need those extra points then it's just another hoop to jump through!

Ali x
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:57 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sssstew
it is very boring for us nativly speaking english.... its enough to drive you mad sometimes.. the test lasts the whole morning then i had to wait the whole afternoon to sit my spoken test.
I'm sure it must be a cringe for the examiners too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.