IELTS test question. Please Please help.

Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Desertwombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile IELTS test question. Please Please help.

Hi guys,

Here is my problem. I sat the Academic IELTS test and got one 7.5, one 8 and two 9's. Which is perfect for having my accountancy qualification verified given I need atleast four 7's in the academic IELTS test.

So I have sent off my certificate and IELTS results to have them verified by an australian accountancy body.

Although I went over the 175 visa requirements and thought I would just double check my points under the new criteria. To my shock I was under the 65 points by 10 points. After getting quite annoyed, calming down and realising that it was my fault for not being on the ball, I set about seeing how I can find these much needed 10 points.

I see if I can get atleast all 8's in the General IELTS test then I can claim superior english ability and get another 10 points. (Please correct me if this is incorrect)

So I have two questions.

1. Would the Australian Visa Dept class a 7.5 in the written part of the Academic IELTS test as atleast an 8 in the written part of the General IELTS test and accept my test results as satisfactory for claiming superior english language ability? If yes, doesnt anyone have experience of this and know who to go about it?

2. If no, then I will have to take the IELTS test again to try and get all 8's. I have already sent off my Academic IELTS results to have my qualification verified. Therefore this test will be associated with my qualification. As I understand that 8's in only the General IELTS are required to claim superior english language ability (again please correct me if I am wrong) it would seem daft to sit the Academic IELTS test again when I could sit a test of a lesser standard to fufil this requirement. However please could someone confirm if it is ok to have one IELTS test for my qualification verification and another/different IELTS as evidence to claim superiour english language ability?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for any advice you could give me.

Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Heathcote is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS test question. Please Please help.

Originally Posted by Desertwombat
Hi guys,

Here is my problem. I sat the Academic IELTS test and got one 7.5, one 8 and two 9's. Which is perfect for having my accountancy qualification verified given I need atleast four 7's in the academic IELTS test.

So I have sent off my certificate and IELTS results to have them verified by an australian accountancy body.

Although I went over the 175 visa requirements and thought I would just double check my points under the new criteria. To my shock I was under the 65 points by 10 points. After getting quite annoyed, calming down and realising that it was my fault for not being on the ball, I set about seeing how I can find these much needed 10 points.

I see if I can get atleast all 8's in the General IELTS test then I can claim superior english ability and get another 10 points. (Please correct me if this is incorrect)

So I have two questions.

1. Would the Australian Visa Dept class a 7.5 in the written part of the Academic IELTS test as atleast an 8 in the written part of the General IELTS test and accept my test results as satisfactory for claiming superior english language ability? If yes, doesnt anyone have experience of this and know who to go about it?

2. If no, then I will have to take the IELTS test again to try and get all 8's. I have already sent off my Academic IELTS results to have my qualification verified. Therefore this test will be associated with my qualification. As I understand that 8's in only the General IELTS are required to claim superior english language ability (again please correct me if I am wrong) it would seem daft to sit the Academic IELTS test again when I could sit a test of a lesser standard to fufil this requirement. However please could someone confirm if it is ok to have one IELTS test for my qualification verification and another/different IELTS as evidence to claim superiour english language ability?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for any advice you could give me.

The answer to your question 1. is NO

NO problem to submit one IELTS for skills and another for Visa applicaiton.

regards
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Janaka is on a distinguished road

yes you can get 20 marcks but You must provide one of the following:

* IELTS Test Report Form (TRF) Number to show you have a band score of at least eight on each of the four components – speaking, reading, listening and writing
or
* evidence that you undertook a language test and attained a score as specified by the Minister.

The IELTS is a test designed to assess an applicant's English language ability. It has an academic test and a general training test – you need only take the general training test unless otherwise advised by your skills assessing authority.
as your assessing authority is asking academic test i think you can do academic again to get 8 each
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: IELTS test question. Please Please help.

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

Heathcote - good to know you can use 2 IELTS tests. Can I ask do you have experience of this? i.e. are you 100% certain and if so how do you know this or what evidenece do you have to confirm it? Only reason I am asking is that i want to be 100% sure that I am doing the right thing.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Janaka - Thank you for your reply. I know that I can take either test as you can take them as many times as you want. I therefore assume you mean that you think the 8's must be in the Academic test. Are you 100% certain of this or is this your opinion based on the text? Again only asking as i want to be 100% sure that i do the right thing.

My understanding was that at least 8's are required in only the General IELTS test to fulfill the requirements for superior language skills.

For a positive occupation assessment as an accountant I require at least 7's in the Academic IELTS test.

My understanding of DIAC text is that if your sitting the IELTS and you require the Academic text for a positive occupation assessment then you might as well only do the Academic IELTS test. This is on the basis that you are only using one test.

Although if you get enough for a positive occupation assessment and not enough for a positive superior language skills assessment (assuming you can use two different tests) it is my understanding that the second test for a positive superior language skills assessment need only be a General IELTS test.

Should it be the case that it also needed to be an Academic test then we have part of the visa points system (requirement for superior language skills) with double standards for essentially the same points. Which doesnt sound correct to me.

I know there is the argument that if in doubt i should just do the academic test again although from a risk management point of view it would be silly to pay the same money to sit an IELTS test with a higher requirement for 8's if there is no need to. Therefore it increases my chances of achieving 8's by taking only the general IELTS test if this is acceptable.

I would be grateful if someone could confirm if i am correct in my assumptions regards the IELTS tests and visa requirements in respect of the above.

Thank you guys.

Last edited by Desertwombat; Jul 8th 2011 at 9:49 am.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

lloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nice

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

Heathcote - good to know you can use 2 IELTS tests. Can I ask do you have experience of this? i.e. are you 100% certain and if so how do you know this or what evidenece do you have to confirm it? Only reason I am asking is that i want to be 100% sure that I am doing the right thing.
Hi,

It's pretty unlikely that someone would have had experience with this, but am 100% sure that you should be able to use different IELTS results. DIAC assumes that the assessing authority would have assessed based on it's own requirements. Nowhere is it mentioned that it will only consider the IELTS used for the occupation assessment as the same IELTS for the DIAC points. There's no harm submitting both your IELTS, one that was used for the occupation assessment and another for consideration of Superior English points.

Furthermore, your other post pretty much nails it. You can use General or Academic IELTS for DIAC's points. DIAC assumes that most people would use the Academic IELTS from their occupation (if required). However, if you have to rewrite the IELTS, General test is good enough. Just ensure that you send your old IELTS to let them understand that you did submit an Academic IELTS for your occupation assessment.

Last edited by lloydk; Jul 8th 2011 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi lloydk,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to put in an application to do the General IELTS test then.

Thank you. Just wanted to get other peoples views on the matter.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Here is my problem. I sat the Academic IELTS test and got one 7.5, one 8 and two 9's. ...

1. Would the Australian Visa Dept class a 7.5 in the written part of the Academic IELTS test as atleast an 8 in the written part of the General IELTS test and accept my test results as satisfactory for claiming superior english language ability?
Why would you even imagine that DIAC would class a 7.5 as at least an 8? How does that even work?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why would you even imagine that DIAC would class a 7.5 as at least an 8? How does that even work?
Moneypenny20 I am new to all this but given that you are a moderator Im sure that you would agree that the forums are a place where people are encouraged to and free to ask questions to other forum members (even stupid ones). Without people asking questions the very nature of a forum would cease to operate. Therefore i shall assume that you did not mean your post in the abrupt and disparaging way that it comes across.

Getting back to my question - it's actually quite a logical and rational question to ask.

IELTS have two test. Standard and Academic. Made up of four parts. Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. Listening and Speaking are the same for both the Standard and Academic tests. Reading and Writing are different and specfic to the relevant test level. The Academic test is marked between 1 - 9 for each section, the same as the Standard test but as the Academic Writing section (the one i got 7.5 in) is marked to a higher and different standard than the General Writing section it is acceptable to ask if DIAC would consider this to be equal to or higher than an 8 in the Writing section of the General test.

Old Jul 11th 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

lloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nicelloydk is just really nice

Moneypenny20 I am new to all this but given that you are a moderator Im sure that you would agree that the forums are a place where people are encouraged to and free to ask questions to other forum members (even stupid ones). Without people asking questions the very nature of a forum would cease to operate. Therefore i shall assume that you did not mean your post in the abrupt and disparaging way that it comes across.

Getting back to my question - it's actually quite a logical and rational question to ask.

IELTS have two test. Standard and Academic. Made up of four parts. Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. Listening and Speaking are the same for both the Standard and Academic tests. Reading and Writing are different and specfic to the relevant test level. The Academic test is marked between 1 - 9 for each section, the same as the Standard test but as the Academic Writing section (the one i got 7.5 in) is marked to a higher and different standard than the General Writing section it is acceptable to ask if DIAC would consider this to be equal to or higher than an 8 in the Writing section of the General test.

I do realise that some of the veterans or moderators here can come off as quite intolerable to questions that don't seem logical. Unfortunately, there are a lot of impatient questions out there and those that ask for step-by-step guides to immigration. Some posts treat this place like an immi agent, so you really can't blame the veterans for becoming quite snappy. Consider yourself collateral damage. Apart from that, this place is quite useful.

Your explanation clears up why you might have thought that to be a doubt, fair enough.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:23 am
Just Joined

sriniman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lloydk
I do realise that some of the veterans or moderators here can come off as quite intolerable to questions that don't seem logical. Unfortunately, there are a lot of impatient questions out there and those that ask for step-by-step guides to immigration. Some posts treat this place like an immi agent, so you really can't blame the veterans for becoming quite snappy. Consider yourself collateral damage. Apart from that, this place is quite useful.

Your explanation clears up why you might have thought that to be a doubt, fair enough.
Hello IIoydk ,

can you please give some advice to get good score in reading section for general test.I have been getting 6.5 after appearing 3 times.

Thanks for your advice
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sriniman
Hello IIoydk ,

can you please give some advice to get good score in reading section for general test.I have been getting 6.5 after appearing 3 times.

Thanks for your advice
Practice, practice, practice....
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:27 am
Account Closed

rohithnj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lloydk,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to put in an application to do the General IELTS test then.

Thank you. Just wanted to get other peoples views on the matter.
Hey,

I am also in the same situation now. I have a overall 8 in Academic test(7.5 in writing though) which I had submitted to CPA. Now I need to get a 8 in all for extra 10 points before applying for 175.

So, can you tell if your General test result was accepted?

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit