Which IELTS Test?

Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Benjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really nice
Default Which IELTS Test?

Hello all,

I'm applying for a GSM visa and wanted to know whether I needed to sit the Academic or General Training IELTS test in order to achieve Superior English and gain the 20 much needed points?

Hope you can help?

Ben.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

PrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant future
Default Re: Which IELTS Test?

Immi website states only General test required for the extra points. Check though which is needed for your particular skills assessment.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 5:59 am
chapkenv

chapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nice
Default this is like asking - which eye to blink ?

The GT module IELTS is not so easy like you make it seem with the wink - one may sit for General Training IELTS and still not be able to meet the band level required in each component.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: this is like asking - which eye to blink ?

Originally Posted by chapkenv
The GT module IELTS is not so easy like you make it seem with the wink - one may sit for General Training IELTS and still not be able to meet the band level required in each component.
It's pretty easy for a native English speaker like I am going to assume OP is.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:30 am
chapkenv

chapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nicechapkenv is just really nice

ok ya makes sense...you all get 7 just by virtue of being a Passport holder from the Native English speaking nations ya?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

ok ya makes sense...you all get 7 just by virtue of being a Passport holder from the Native English speaking nations ya?
What?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No. But one would assume that a native English speaker, educated in the British system would have a touch more chance of earning a score of 7 and over than one who isn't.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:23 pm
chapkenv

Exclamation Re: Which IELTS Test?

oops, sorry i misquoted...a person from a Native English speaking nation - UK, US, NZ, Ireland, CA automatically meets the competent level worth 0 points (which is equivalent to getting all 6s on the IELTS) that's what i had meant to say - ie. they need to sit for the exam only when planning to aim for 20 points (all 8s) or 10 points (all 7s)
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

canadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nicecanadiangal75 is just really nice

Hey, just to let you know it's not all that easy. I sat the general IELTS and needed 8 in each. I only got 7 in writing and 7.5 in reading Achieved 9 in writing and speaking. I studied in English all my life, even attended University. I sat the the IELTS a second time last weekend. Waiting for my results now. Best of luck.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Phumfeinz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a related question. Let's say, I sit the test and get 7's. Not happy with this, so I retake the test and mess up and do even worse this time. Would it only be the most recent one that counts or would I be able to use the earlier -and better - results?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

PrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant futurePrestonJim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Phumfeinz
I have a related question. Let's say, I sit the test and get 7's. Not happy with this, so I retake the test and mess up and do even worse this time. Would it only be the most recent one that counts or would I be able to use the earlier -and better - results?
As far as I know, a later test will not negate an earlier one. But why would it matter? If 7 is not sufficient for you, its not sufficient. You do not sit IELTS for pride, you sit it for points!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 7:28 am
chapkenv

Exclamation Re: Which IELTS Test? ealer/later date

you forward the scores from the attempt that you like; all of the sections go together though - for example one cannot use reading + listening from one attempt and writing + speaking from another attempt because they are higher (if one is submitting the earlier attempt despite taking the test a second or even a third time, one makes sure that that date of appearance for the test is not more than two years old) - i have suffered on two occasions when i claimed a waiver for CA and submitted first attempt scores to AU, but hey, pride and suffering sometimes go together

Last edited by chapkenv; Apr 27th 2012 at 7:33 am.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Benjammintoo
Hello all,

I'm applying for a GSM visa and wanted to know whether I needed to sit the Academic or General Training IELTS test in order to achieve Superior English and gain the 20 much needed points?

Hope you can help?

Ben.
Hi,

Most of the time for GSM, GT would be enough but some assessing bodies request Academic Version of IELTS and some times OET as well.

The bottom line is it actually depends on the occupation that you are applying under.

Talking about points and test.. it is not easy as you all think, even for a native English speaker.. after all IELTS is a test so you cant expect to have a walk in the park environment in a test..

get your selves ready work hard and ace it...

Cheers,
PB
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by peaceboy
Talking about points and test.. it is not easy as you all think, even for a native English speaker.. after all IELTS is a test so you cant expect to have a walk in the park environment in a test..
You seem to think "we" have not taken it. I have and it absolutely was a walk in the park. That is because I am literate and a native English speaker, I am sure you would find a basic literacy test in your mother tongue quite easy too.

I agree that IELTS would be very challenging for a non-native speaker.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You seem to think "we" have not taken it. I have and it absolutely was a walk in the park. That is because I am literate and a native English speaker, I am sure you would find a basic literacy test in your mother tongue quite easy too.

I agree that IELTS would be very challenging for a non-native speaker.
While that may have been the case for you, it certainly would not have been a walk in the park for my husband. English is his first (only) language however he has difficulty with writing so would find it extremely difficult to achieve 7 in that band.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.